Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
AAB threatens to leave oneworld

Reported in one of the trade websites - AAB is fed up with the behaviour of some of his fellow oneworld airlines, and says he'll leave OW unless they change their ways.
Complaints are around blocking of traffic rights, political manoeuvring against QR and lack of cooperation.
It may just be a lot of hot air, and him getting something of his chest, but if he is really p*ssed off I wouldn't be surprised if he followed up on his threat.

I suppose it would be a Qexit. It'll certainly reduce the number of BA gold card holders.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
It'll certainly reduce the number of BA gold card holders.
You’re not wrong there! BAEC Gold status (and GUF2s) for Mrs PtF, Master PtF and myself over the past five years has been largely (approx 80%) through Tier Points earned flying QR. Although we used to earn status primarily through BA flights nothing could persuade us to fly BA that much again in future to ever retain BAEC Gold status; in fact we’d probably struggle to retain Silver.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:59 pm

Haven't we been here before?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Would certainly make me think long and hard about my flying habits. I'm usually in paid J; and by careful purchasing I can usually get reasonably good fares for what is easily the best J of any of the airlines I can use for the routes I need. Hell, it's better than most of the F cabins, too.

But even if he leaves, do we see him going it alone? Joining another alliance?
JDiver and Traveller999 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yawn. Again?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
This is news?
purple1addict likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
He makes the same comment on an annual basis, and nothing ever happens.

M
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
With the current boycott of QR in the Middle East, I see no reason for QR to leave OW.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SLGO
With the current boycott of QR in the Middle East, I see no reason for QR to leave OW.
Indeed. They need all the friends money can buy
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Remember, this is the same guy that said QR was not joining oneworld the day before announcing that QR was joining oneworld.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A couple of the previous AAB "we're leaving oneworld" threads:
Is QR already on the way to leaving oneworld?
Qatar to leave OneWorld?
purple1addict and msm2000uk like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:07 am

I don't think this will happen, but it raises interesting questions. As a resident of Doha - and soon to be ex resident my exit and baggage is planned around QR and my OWE status.

Does anyone know what the process is to leave One world? how long does it take, is there any notification period? Would an airline honor status for a set period on pre booked flights etc?
Anyone recall what happened when aer lingus or canadian left?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:12 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
QR used to have great J sales, generous miles promos, and OW membership with all its benefits when I fly JL, MH, CX, AA, etc. Now miles have been devalued in a harsh way, J sales are mostly gone except one earlier this year for CMB-PHL, and next you want to get out of OW? That sir, will make you like EK: very good product but unattractive prices for my travel patterns, no alliance membership, that means I am not travelling with you.

So you threaten to leave OW, and I threaten to leave QR
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Oh I don't know...

I actually preferred flying QR before they joined oneworld. Granted I didn't get any status benefits on other airlines but my experience on QR was far better and award availablity for upgrades was never a problem.

The cuts have come thick and fast over the past few years - I guess they don't have to try so hard as oneworld members and just need to be one level better/cheaper than the rest. Not to mention the massive and continuing devaluations to QRPC.

Back when QR didn't belong to an alliance the Y product was outstanding (champagne, hot towels, pre-meal drinks & snack run, two decent reds & two decent whites, "cinema snacks" mid-flight, amenity kits, 3-3-3 on the 777 and tonnes of legroom in all Y cabins).

In J the champagne was top shelf and food was better quality. The J soft product has deteriorated much less than Y though (and the hard product is better than ever) but cost-cutting is noticeable in the wine list.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I may think...

This is all hot air and empty threats (again). No way QR are leaving!
sturejan likes this.

Last edited by purple1addict; Oct 10, 2018 at 5:40 am
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Oh I don't know...

I actually preferred flying QR before they joined oneworld. Granted I didn't get any status benefits on other airlines but my experience on QR was far better and award availablity for upgrades was never a problem.

The cuts have come thick and fast over the past few years - I guess they don't have to try so hard as oneworld members and just need to be one level better/cheaper than the rest. Not to mention the massive and continuing devaluations to QRPC.

Back when QR didn't belong to an alliance the Y product was outstanding (champagne, hot towels, pre-meal drinks & snack run, two decent reds & two decent whites, "cinema snacks" mid-flight, amenity kits, 3-3-3 on the 777 and tonnes of legroom in all Y cabins).

In J the champagne was top shelf and food was better quality. The J soft product has deteriorated much less than Y though (and the hard product is better than ever) but cost-cutting is noticeable in the wine list.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what I may think...

This is all hot air and empty threats (again). No way QR are leaving!
Causation or just correlation...
Fact is, if QR would leave OW without making changes elsewhere, it would be a severe downgrade. Of course if they up their game in other areas, things would be different.
mpkz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.