Search

Where have all the cheap J fares gone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by JC880
A snapshot from earlier this month:
PVG-DOH: 8 pax in J (plan swap from Qsuites to 24 seat J version)
CDG-DOH: 2 pax in A
ARN-DOH: 5 pax in J (out of 22)
DOH-PVG: 15-20pax in J (out of 42)

Out of around 20 QR flight in the last year, I don't think business class has been more than 50% full more than 5 times. Still a small sample, but very much in line with other people's observations.
My sample is small and only longhaul J on the CDG-DOH-HKG route, near 20 segments in last 12 months. J cabin has been full most of the time. Once only 50%, a couple of times a few seats available.
They have been running good promotions from HKG (given that it is an extremely expensive origin point), and I will enjoy in a couple of days a companion offer from CDG at EUR1,800 per head. Not bad.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
From my travels (just j redemptions over the past few months), it seems that the loads are greater on the asia-doh (return) and fairly weak on the europe-doh legs. nrt-doh was almost entirely full in j, maybe 2 or 3 seats free.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by brunos
My sample is small and only longhaul J on the CDG-DOH-HKG route, near 20 segments in last 12 months. J cabin has been full most of the time. Once only 50%, a couple of times a few seats available.
They have been running good promotions from HKG (given that it is an extremely expensive origin point), and I will enjoy in a couple of days a companion offer from CDG at EUR1,800 per head. Not bad.
Interesting. It is likely highly dependent on the route. To make my comment more relevant: I primarily fly between Mainland China and Scandinavia - Chinese passengers are primarily tourists and Scandinavian companies are usually very restrictive on who is allowed to fly business class - for these routes economy is usually very busy and premium cabin not so. I have the occasional flight on more premium routes (mainly CDG and ZRH) loads are higher on these flights.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:56 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Interesting. It is likely highly dependent on the route. To make my comment more relevant: I primarily fly between Mainland China and Scandinavia - Chinese passengers are primarily tourists and Scandinavian companies are usually very restrictive on who is allowed to fly business class - for these routes economy is usually very busy and premium cabin not so. I have the occasional flight on more premium routes (mainly CDG and ZRH) loads are higher on these flights.
I have an OSL-DOH-SYD-DOH-ARN booking in a few weeks time – the seat maps for both outbound legs show J virtually full, only 3 or 4 spare seats; whereas on both inbound legs there are only 4 or5 seats occupied. (A380 both ways DOH-SYD-DOH)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I regularly fly out of OSL and CPH and haven't seen a J-cabin with more than a few seats free for years.

-A
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I primarily fly between Mainland China and Scandinavia - for these routes economy is usually very busy and premium cabin not so.
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I regularly fly out of OSL and CPH and haven't seen a J-cabin with more than a few seats free for years.
Alway interesting to see how different "snapshot" evidence can be.

Oslo, of course (and to some extent other Scandinavian cities), have been the target of a number of pretty spectacular QR fares. Indeed, spectacular enough for me to travel once via Oslo

Perhaps the influence of sales goes someway to explaining the reported volatility of demand for routes involving Scandinavia.
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:41 pm

Any indication of a possible September sale this year?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by justatourist
Any indication of a possible September sale this year?
Yes.5
Old Aug 26, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Oslo, of course (and to some extent other Scandinavian cities), have been the target of a number of pretty spectacular QR fares. Indeed, spectacular enough for me to travel once via Oslo

Perhaps the influence of sales goes someway to explaining the reported volatility of demand for routes involving Scandinavia.
I'd say that it also demonstrates,whether flying Business or Economy, that Real-Sales are the way to fill flights ... and fuller planes keep revenues up, to cover the relatively-fixed costs of operating the existing large scheduled-network. There's a lesson there, for those who want to listen !

Meanwhile loyal/regular customers may well be switching to other airlines, deterred by increasingly-high prices & negative frequent-flyer 'enhancements', damaging long-term reputation. This isn't about the product in-the-air, but about service/experience on-the-ground, which is also an important part of the product.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Richard Bell
I'd say that it also demonstrates,whether flying Business or Economy, that Real-Sales are the way to fill flights ... and fuller planes keep revenues up, to cover the relatively-fixed costs of operating the existing large scheduled-network. There's a lesson there, for those who want to listen !

Meanwhile loyal/regular customers may well be switching to other airlines, deterred by increasingly-high prices & negative frequent-flyer 'enhancements', damaging long-term reputation. This isn't about the product in-the-air, but about service/experience on-the-ground, which is also an important part of the product.
Makes sense.
Personally, I find sales frequent enough for my use. Seat investment has been high, and I don't mind paying a bit more than in the past to get the best world business class (including the outstanding CDG lounge with its two lovely outdoor terraces).
Also remember that QR has now signed quite a few corporate contracts and those corporate fares are attractive too and yearlong.

BTW: one more datapoint last week. CDG-DOH full in J. DOH-HKG 50% full.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Richard Bell
Well, I have a couple of ticketed trips left with QR (BKK-HEL and CBR-OSL), and if J fares don't become more competitive, that will probably be my last flights on QR. I've already booked EK and CX for next year, and will book whatever airline gives me the best deal in future. It may be QR, but based on current fares, probably not.

As for flight loadings, I'm flying BKK-DOH (380) and DOH-HEL (787) in a couple of weeks, and the seat maps are showing just a handful of seats occupied on each flight at this stage. Quite unusual, really. Unless QR adjusts its current strategy soon, I would expect there to be major forced changes next year, as no airline can continue as it is doing for ever.
Richard Bell likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:33 am

I'm looking to book a bunch of monthly trips MCT-LON at the moment (or other UK or near EU), and QR via DOH has been more than three times the cost of the non stop flight on Oman Air for several weeks now. I'm a fan of QR but it's impossible to justify anywhere near that sort of difference. Even First on BA was cheaper than QR J on a trip I took last week.

Perhaps the fare people are on holiday, there have been short periods like this before at times. And they probably don't really want those GBP 800 Europe to Asia J travellers, but they are definitely losing higher revenue sales.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

Indeed, QR has historically relied on cheap fares to fill premium cabins from Scandinavia, given the relative lack of enthusiasm for premium cabins from Scandinavians. I'm fairly sure (as long as pricing doesn't get totally out of hand) QR will continue to fill J cabins on the likes of LHR, JFK and CDG without any blockbuster fares given how strong the QR product is and the premium cabin demand from those cities. What will be interesting is to see what J loads out of OSL and ARN with multiple flights a day look like in 6 months if QR doesn't file any further cheap fares to draw in customers.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Some
One other thing I noticed recently is QR appears to finally be starting to offer some slightly less insane F fares from LHR - I noticed last week that for the first time in years QR is now filing A class fares LHR-BKK, still not exactly cheap at £5,000 for an indirect flight but better than the c.£8,000+ it has been on the route for god knows how long.

Suppose there could be some Qsuites impact here, but it suggests F tickets to LHR aren't quite selling as readily as they used to and/or someone in revenue management has actually considered whether anyone is buying the tickets or not.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Indeed, QR has historically relied on cheap fares to fill premium cabins from Scandinavia, given the relative lack of enthusiasm for premium cabins from Scandinavians. I'm fairly sure (as long as pricing doesn't get totally out of hand) QR will continue to fill J cabins on the likes of LHR, JFK and CDG without any blockbuster fares given how strong the QR product is and the premium cabin demand from those cities. What will be interesting is to see what J loads out of OSL and ARN with multiple flights a day look like in 6 months if QR doesn't file any further cheap fares to draw in customers.
Interesting thought, is this actually true? The fact that SAS doesn't have a particularly high amount of premium seats seems to confirm that, but the Scandinavian capitals must be among the cities with the world's highest per capita income.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.