Wiki Posts
Search

Where have all the cheap J fares gone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Where have all the cheap J fares gone?

I'm a regular traveller to PHS via BKK. I was using QR regularly and I make no secret that I think their J product is fantastic. There were some crazy ex-EU prices last year out of AMS and VCE ( ~ 1200E) but they seem to have dried up completely. My last trip was with BA (ugh) in J ex-AMS and my next one is CX Y out of Chicago although the one after is CX F from JFK. I may also need to take a Y trip on Korean around Christmas (JFK-ICN-BKK). Have the cheap ex-EUs completely dried up on QR? If so, Does anyone know why?

Thanks,
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by capin
I'm a regular traveller to PHS via BKK. I was using QR regularly and I make no secret that I think their J product is fantastic. There were some crazy ex-EU prices last year out of AMS and VCE ( ~ 1200E) but they seem to have dried up completely. My last trip was with BA (ugh) in J ex-AMS and my next one is CX Y out of Chicago although the one after is CX F from JFK. I may also need to take a Y trip on Korean around Christmas (JFK-ICN-BKK). Have the cheap ex-EUs completely dried up on QR? If so, Does anyone know why?

Thanks,
I gave up waiting on QR and am flying AY (Finnair) tomorrow, JFK-HEL-BKK-HEL-JFK. No way AY's J is close to QR but QR's $8,897 price does not compete against AY's $3,077.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
There is an existing Sale Fares Discussion Sticky Thread.
orbitmic, makrom and kaffir76 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
There is an existing Sale Fares Discussion Sticky Thread.
I know that thread well but I wasn't asking abut sale fares as I am pretty much booked up for the next 6 months. I was wondering whether there had been a strategic shift at QR with regards to discounting J fares.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A couple of years of reeling everyone in on super cheap fares and now people will pay more ???
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: AY Silver, BA Silver, FI Saga hopeful
Originally Posted by capin
Have the cheap ex-EUs completely dried up on QR? If so, Does anyone know why?
Existential threat will do that to you.
https://theintercept.com/2018/08/01/...tar-saudi-uae/

QR as EY subsidiary would've been weird.
-
DJ
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:07 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
A couple of years of reeling everyone in on super cheap fares and now people will pay more ???
I won't, and after experiencing J on QR I now refuse to fly it in Y (other airlines I will), illogical or not..
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
I gave up waiting on QR and am flying AY (Finnair) tomorrow, JFK-HEL-BKK-HEL-JFK. No way AY's J is close to QR but QR's $8,897 price does not compete against AY's $3,077.
It was not near the QR product but not worth the variance in price.

AY is decent across the board and will use them again shortly if QR does not get within $1000 USD.
OHTOW likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

Im not sure if related but after Qatar's banning from flying to certain countries, fares have been horribly gone up from my place, Athens
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: EY, TG basic levels ; QRPC platinum
Prices in QR J from BRU to my usual destinations in Asia have gone up by 40 to 50% since end of May, probably as part of those amazing enhancements.
Last month I used CX J. Their prices are still lower then QR J prices before end of May. Service not at same high level as QR J but still very good.
I quote, and agree with NJSwamplands : It was not near the QR product but not worth the variance in price. So in the near future I'll become a regular CX flyer unless QR offers real good deals (not the ones that come in almost every day now).
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by traveler_ron
Prices in QR J from BRU to my usual destinations in Asia have gone up by 40 to 50% since end of May, probably as part of those amazing enhancements.
Last month I used CX J. Their prices are still lower then QR J prices before end of May. Service not at same high level as QR J but still very good.
I quote, and agree with NJSwamplands : It was not near the QR product but not worth the variance in price. So in the near future I'll become a regular CX flyer unless QR offers real good deals (not the ones that come in almost every day now).
The short description of what is going on is this:
- QR is using a substantially higher amount from a lot of locations to fly in goods to Qatar to lessen the effect of the blockade.
- To deal with weight issues they can charge a premium on pax, as having less pax means more cargo.

This scenario plays out on top of the underlying trajectory of QR now having gots it's feet well under the table in a large alliance, finally, and there is no longer a need to sell premium products as lowly priced as it has in the past, and this also is on top of the underlying economics of many markets QR plays in are still in a bull run economically.

Just like with Google, you (the pax) are there to the extent the airline needs you, you won't get things for free in this market.

All in all, as long as their revenue management group don't sleep through class, then all they have to price themselves a hair under their main premium competition, and this will keep their cabins full enough yet leave room for flying tomatoes, cucumbers and other things to Qatar.
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
- QR is using a substantially higher amount from a lot of locations to fly in goods to Qatar to lessen the effect of the blockade.
- To deal with weight issues they can charge a premium on pax, as having less pax means more cargo.
The notion of QR as a cargo carrier with an awkward fleet, taking passengers as icing on the cake is, errr, interesting.

The airline operates a significant fleet of dedicated freighters in parallel to its passenger aircraft.

This scenario plays out on top of the underlying trajectory of QR now having gots it's feet well under the table in a large alliance, finally, and there is no longer a need to sell premium products as lowly priced as it has in the past.
I'm not sure what the argument is here. Do you think you could flesh it out ?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat

This scenario plays out on top of the underlying trajectory of QR now having gots it's feet well under the table in a large alliance, finally, and there is no longer a need to sell premium products as lowly priced as it has in the past, and this also is on top of the underlying economics of many markets QR plays in are still in a bull run economically.

Just like with Google, you (the pax) are there to the extent the airline needs you, you won't get things for free in this market.

All in all, as long as their revenue management group don't sleep through class, then all they have to price themselves a hair under their main premium competition, and this will keep their cabins full enough yet leave room for flying tomatoes, cucumbers and other things to Qatar.
I agree but if they want to maximize their revenue they should better fly a J passenger paying 1,500 EUR with 3 Y empty seats than 3 Y passengers paying 500 EUR each with a J empty seat, as even if the J passenger has a bigger luggage allowance and requires a more heavy catering than a Y passenger, it’s still less than 3 Y passengers.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Matt4

I agree but if they want to maximize their revenue they should better fly a J passenger paying 1,500 EUR with 3 Y empty seats than 3 Y passengers paying 500 EUR each with a J empty seat, as even if the J passenger has a bigger luggage allowance and requires a more heavy catering than a Y passenger, it’s still less than 3 Y passengers.
You are only look at pax vs pax. The point is, that for some markets there is more value (not neccesarily cold cash) in increasing cargo loads. In thos markets tomatoes trumps bums in seats.

-A
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
You are only look at pax vs pax. The point is, that for some markets there is more value (not neccesarily cold cash) in increasing cargo loads. In thos markets tomatoes trumps bums in seats.

-A
Yes but why still offering 500 EUR Y seats and not anymore 1500 EUR J seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.