Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

award availability to India- Gone for a month starting 12 May. Like this for ages

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

award availability to India- Gone for a month starting 12 May. Like this for ages

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold

I have been following the award availability to India for months now and it seems that all awards are gone for c. a month starting 12 May. Routes which have plenty of availability on awards before 12 May and in July onwards and empty revenue flights after 12 May 2018, yet not award availability after 12 May. Nowhere in India!

I know award availability is not a given but It is like someone had not uploaded award availability to India for that period as the pattern is very very strange.

Thanks

Last edited by palermo; Apr 22, 2018 at 7:07 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:33 pm

I've been tracking C paid fares to India from US through the end of the schedule, and what was once a $4,500 roundtrip from LAX-DEL is now a $7,500 RT fare, suggesting to me that they did not load any lowest-fare business class codes into the system (a portion of which are usually opened up for award availability) for whatever reason (Q suites was my assumption, but if its the case from everywhere maybe its an issue with the DOH-(India) routes)
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by palermo
I have been following the award availability to India for months now and it seems that all awards are gone for c. a month starting 12 May. Routes which have plenty of availability on awards before 12 May and in July onwards and empty revenue flights after 12 May 2018, yet not award availability after 12 May. Nowhere in India!

I know award availability is not a given but It is like someone had not uploaded award availability to India for that period as the pattern is very very strange.

Thanks
possibly due to Ramadan?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nihar Shah
I've been tracking C paid fares to India from US through the end of the schedule, and what was once a $4,500 roundtrip from LAX-DEL is now a $7,500 RT fare, suggesting to me that they did not load any lowest-fare business class codes into the system (a portion of which are usually opened up for award availability) for whatever reason (Q suites was my assumption, but if its the case from everywhere maybe its an issue with the DOH-(India) routes)
I am not sure from the US. There are ok paid business fares from Europe to India but having followed award availability to India, there is definitely something odd going on from 12 May.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Ramadan
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:20 pm

Not sure what this has to do with it (probably nothing), but I'm going to India next month from the US, and my corporate fair rule showed a similar timeframe - that fare was ridiculously cheap for business ($200 above economy). Would they hold reward availability if they're trying to get business from deals given to businesses/agencies? Probably related to Ramadan
Old May 1, 2018, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by srcga
Not sure what this has to do with it (probably nothing), but I'm going to India next month from the US, and my corporate fair rule showed a similar timeframe - that fare was ridiculously cheap for business ($200 above economy). Would they hold reward availability if they're trying to get business from deals given to businesses/agencies? Probably related to Ramadan
Thank you all with the replies. Ramadan could definitely be a reason but I did a few dummy search to other predominantly muslim country with big population working in Doha and there seems to be plenty of availability.

In my mind It shows that QR revenue management could do things a lot better and monitor the bookings as they could make money by opening upgrades and awards rather than flying an empty cabin.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:15 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by palermo
In my mind It shows that QR revenue management could do things a lot better and monitor the bookings as they could make money by opening upgrades and awards rather than flying an empty cabin.
I'm sure they are monitoring the bookings since that is their core job to enable "revenue management"! Clearly, they have decided that for the time-being at least it is more attractive for them to limit awards and encourage cash fares. Maybe they will change their minds at some point, but sometimes it is more attractive for an airline to fly with empty seats than fill them with award passengers (potentially cannibalising their cash ticket sales).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.