Wiki Posts
Search

Positioning After Brexit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Privilege Club, BA Executive Club
Positioning After Brexit

I'm making this thread for UK based QRPC members to discuss what they think positioning into mainland Europe will entail post-Brexit.

I would assume (correct me if I'm mistaken) that a connection of a few hours remaining in the airport should cause no issues when obtaining an ETIAS, but for what duration/circumstances of connection do you think the case would begin to differ?

Right now, fares in April 2019 (which is just about when we've left) look far more attractive out of mainland Europe compared to those from UK airports. I've been looking at several destinations in the far east and Africa for example.
​​​​​
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:48 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It's worth bearing in mind, that absolutely nobody can give any sort of real answer to the question, until terms are announced.

M
ttama likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It's worth bearing in mind, that absolutely nobody can give any sort of real answer to the question, until terms are announced.

M
Indeed. It is also worth noting that "ex-EU" is merely an absurd term mistakenly used to describe ex-third country (or for that matter ex-third airport) itineraries, many of which involve airports which are not in the EU in the first place (e.g OSL) so if the OP has good reasons to think that his ex-OSL differ from his ex-ARN (for example) it would be worth pointing them out and we can them collectively think of whether Brexit will tip the balance towards ex-OSL type scenarii (or indeed if he/she has anything else specific in mind).
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by mohammedgiga
I'm making this thread for UK based QRPC members to discuss what they think positioning into mainland Europe will entail post-Brexit.​​​​​
  1. I'm not sure why this should be limited to UK based QRPC members when it will apply to UK bases M&M, BAEC, etc. members
  2. This thread will eventually end up in bad OMNI
  3. At this point, there so much uncertainty on Brexit, that it is IMO pretty pointless to make a thread on what we're going to do post-Brexit
Originally Posted by mohammedgiga
Right now, fares in April 2019 (which is just about when we've left) look far more attractive out of mainland Europe compared to those from UK airports. I've been looking at several destinations in the far east and Africa for example.
FWIW, in a year will begin the transition period and I don't think that passengers will notice major impacts. The progress since 2016 just confirms the point that a transition period until 2020/01/01 will be unavoidable. They haven't yet agreed on the broad lines of Brexit and post-Brexit. Once that's done, they'll have to work out millions of details. The UK will have quite a bit more work at hand: Those trade deals won't negotiate themselves.

Subsequently, I wouldn't worry too much for now. Neither the EU nor the UK have any interest and letting air traffic collapse next year.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is even more absurd when one considers that `the UK is presently a Member State and thus EU has been used in this context to refer to all Member States other than the UK.

The value of these tickets comes from the EU requirement that a service, e.g. an e-ticket offered at a given price anywhere in the EU must be made available throughout the EU. Not so elsewhere.

Thus, a UK resident who finds a better fare originating DUB may purchase that DUB origination at the price offered in Ireland. Throughout the rest of the world, carriers which wish to engage in market-driven price discrimination simply limit the residency of the purchaser.

Whether that will be required post-Brexit and whether carriers would offer it even if not required, is something no person, including the negotiating principals could remotely answer today. I trust that there are a few other issues of more significance.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
As this thread seems totally pointless, I'm going to Close it.

If the OP would like it re-opened, kindly contact the Mod Team.

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.