Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

skipping last leg and jumping on another QR flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

skipping last leg and jumping on another QR flight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
QR was not allowing short checking until August 20017, when Qatar removed visa requirement for 80 nationalities and QR allowed up to 96 hours stopover in DOH in all his fares.
Here's a typical example of QR fare rules :
Category 8: Stopover restrictions
UNLIMITED FREE STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
1 IN DOH EITHER OUT/IN.
A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 96 HOURS.

OR - 5 STOPOVERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT
LIMITED TO 1 FREE AND 4 AT USD 100.00 EACH.
1 FREE IN EUROPE/AFRICA
1 FREE IN AREA 3/AREA 1
1 IN DOH EITHER OUT/IN AT USD 100.00
4 IN AREA 3/AREA 1/EUROPE/AFRICA AT USD 100.00
EACH.
A STOPOVER MAY NOT EXCEED 14 DAYS.
NOTE -
PURCHASE OF AN OFFICIAL QR HOLIDAY STOPOVER
PACKAGE WILL SUPERSEDE THE ABOVE RULES STOPOVER
FEES AND RESTRICTIONS. REFER TO QR OFFICES AND QR
HOLIDAYS FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE OFFICIAL
STOPOVER PACKAGE AND BOOKING PROCESS.
PURCHASE OF ONEWORLD MIDDLE EAST PASS IN
CONJUCTION WITH INTERNATIONAL QR TICKET WILL
SUPERSEDE THE ABOVE RULE STOPOVER FEE AND
RESTRICTIONS. REFER TO INFORMATION ON WORLD
MIDDLE EAST PASS. AGENT SHOULD CONTACT QR OFFICE
AND PROVIDE PNR DETAILS AND TICKET DETAILS OF
BOTH LONG HAUL TICKET AND ME PASS TICKET.SAME
INFORMATION SHOULD BE FORWARDED BY QR OFFICE.
--------------------------------------------------
ALL STOPOVER FOR THE PURPOSE OF CONNECTION STPC
MAY BE PROVIDED FOR ITINERARIES WHERE SHORTEST
STOPOVER OPTION IS MORE THAN 8 HOURS AND LESS
THAN 24 HORUS FOR FULL DETAILS CONTACT LOCAL QR
OFFICE.
-----------------------------------------------
IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING FLIGHTS
IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE
PASSENGERS HOLDING A NEW TRANSIT VISA HAS THE
OPTION OF EITHER CHECK-IN THEIR BAGS UNTIL THEIR
FINAL DESTINATION OR ALTERNATIVELY UP TO DOHA

HOWEVER IF PASSENGER DOES NOT HOLD TRANSIT VISA
THEN BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED-IN THROUGH TO THE
FINAL DESTINATION. THE PASSENGERS
SHOULD CARRY EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A
HAND BAG
-----------------------------------------------
IN CASE THE PASSENGER NEEDS THE BAGS IN DOHA
TWO SEPARATE TICKETS NEED TO BE BOUGHT.

--------------------
Now I need your help or post-August 2017 experiences to understand what these apparently contradictory fare rules tell.
If you have a less than 24 hours stopover in DOH and hold a "NEW TRANSIT VISA" you can short check your bags to DOH. But what is exactly a "NEW TRANSIT VISA" in QR lingo ?
That seems to induce (at least, in my own logic) that there's no restriction on short checking your bags to DOH if you have a more than 24 hours stopover...
But the last sentence is rather contradictory "IN CASE THE PASSENGER NEEDS THE BAGS IN DOHA TWO SEPARATE TICKETS NEED TO BE BOUGHT.", unless it is an undeleted remnant of previous fare rules...
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Can this work ?

Hi...If you show the agent a large bottle of liquid (honey) and tell them that you are giving this to someone in Doha..they may ask you to put it in checked bag and then you can ask for short check
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: spg Gold for life / Ba gold / LX Sen / Hyatt Globalist
I've done it 5 times last year - the only way is to let the agent at the initial departure TCI your bag to your final destination, then once in Doha (ensure you have 2 hours minimum I've been told) go to the Transfer desk (just before security) and ask for your bag to be re-tagged. They are operations agent, not ticketing, so super efficient and never asking a question. make sure you are checked in on the "new"flight, show your boarding pass, and it works like a charm.
First time (in GYD) I have tried and they also came up with the re-routing concept.
Unfortunately they have the right to do it, ..so you gotta play clever.

and it works for now, don't take it as granted.

same with BA btw. when you wnat to end your journey in lhr or take a new flight, just book a last leg connecting out of a different airport (lcy, lgw etc...) so they have to return the bag to you.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:31 am

I will only be travelling with hand luggage so no worries luggage wise. I intend hopping off at Doha missing my last leg to KWI and then take a reward flight booked to CDG later the next day. My KWI -BKK return flight is booked via a travel agent, is there any possibility they can somehow do a post trip reprice? Presumably they would have to do this via the TA who would then have to charge my CC. I have on a couple of occasions disembarked one stop early at LHR on BA trips when final destination was AMS with no problems but have no experience with QR. Has anyone ever had their trip repriced post trip or lost airmiles or anything else bad to report with QR in regards to this.

Thank you.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I am booked cwl-doh-Mus and then Mus-doha-BKK

would I be able to skip the Muscat sections and just sleep at doha airport? or would this invalidate my miles and points accrual?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:11 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior

would I be able to skip the Muscat sections and just sleep at doha airport? or would this invalidate my miles and points accrual?
It would not just invalidate your miles/points, it would invalidate the rest of your ticket. You have to take your flights in the order ticketed. If you don't take the MUS-DOH flight your ticket for DOH-BKK (and any other flights on that ticket) will be cancelled. So you would most likely be denied boarding for the remainder of your journey! Unless you get QR to re-ticket you for the routing you intend to travel (and pay whatever additional fees are required)
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior

The minute you don't board your flight to Muscat, the entire rest of the ticket will auto-cancel and you'll have to buy new transportation home. Don't expect QR to accommodate you!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by chokdee
I will only be travelling with hand luggage so no worries luggage wise. I intend hopping off at Doha missing my last leg to KWI and then take a reward flight booked to CDG later the next day. My KWI -BKK return flight is booked via a travel agent, is there any possibility they can somehow do a post trip reprice? Presumably they would have to do this via the TA who would then have to charge my CC. I have on a couple of occasions disembarked one stop early at LHR on BA trips when final destination was AMS with no problems but have no experience with QR. Has anyone ever had their trip repriced post trip or lost airmiles or anything else bad to report with QR in regards to this.

Thank you.
I voluntarily missed the last leg of a QR booking once in DOH to take another QR flight later and didn't have any problem. They even retaged my checked luggage to the new flight. Both flights were booked on QR website.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:25 pm

Thanks Matt,I figured it would probably be ok but always nice to hear from somebody that has trodden this path before!
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has recent experience.

Looking at flying to Greece near the end of the year. Currently have LAX-DOH-CMN booked on QR (through AA) and then a separate ticket DOH-ATH (booked with Avios)

I will have to do an overnight in DOH which I plan on doing at the Oryx Airport hotel.

Will I have any issues with QR canceling the DOH-ATH ticket for a booking?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ

Looking at flying to Greece near the end of the year. Currently have LAX-DOH-CMN booked on QR (through AA) and then a separate ticket DOH-ATH (booked with Avios)

I will have to do an overnight in DOH which I plan on doing at the Oryx Airport hotel.

Why should QR cancel the DOH-ATH leg?
You should be fine, however, a reminder that if your LAX-CMN ticket is round-trip and if you skip the DOH-CMN leg, your return would be cancelled as well. If both tickets are one-way's there are no issues.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Why should QR cancel the DOH-ATH leg?
You should be fine, however, a reminder that if your LAX-CMN ticket is round-trip and if you skip the DOH-CMN leg, your return would be cancelled as well. If both tickets are one-way's there are no issues.
Both flight are one way so shouldn't be an issue.

My only concern is that the doh-ath and the doh-cmn flight depart within 10min of each other
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Both flight are one way so shouldn't be an issue.

My only concern is that the doh-ath and the doh-cmn flight depart within 10min of each other
That shouldn't be an issue, after arriving from LAX, go to the transfer counter before clearing transfer security and hand your baggage tags to the transfer counter, ask to be offloaded from the CMN flight and tell them that you have a separate flight to ATH. The agents over there would hand you your new boarding pass and transfer your bags to the ATH flight.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 11:25 pm
R2

I had a similar situation a couple of years back and about a week before the flights, I got an email from QR reservations saying I have a double booking and that I would need to contact them to cancel / change of the reservations to avoid the risk of automatic cancellation.

When I then had the same situation again last year, I made sure not to have my FFP number in one of the bookings so QR could not reconcile it is the same passenger. No issues there.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
That shouldn't be an issue, after arriving from LAX, go to the transfer counter before clearing transfer security and hand your baggage tags to the transfer counter, ask to be offloaded from the CMN flight and tell them that you have a separate flight to ATH. The agents over there would hand you your new boarding pass and transfer your bags to the ATH flight.
Surely they will want to re-price LAX-DOH-CMN to LAX-DOH and ask for the fare difference?

Even without FF numbers in place, API should identify the double booking and raise an alert.
plunet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.