Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

skipping last leg and jumping on another QR flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold

I just wanted to find out whether I could miss the last leg which is DOH-TUN and continue from DOH-LHR instead. I am flying from JNB and this is on the return leg.
If it would be possible then I can just book the DOH-LHR leg on miles which is currently available!:

Stopover between JNB-DOH-TUN is 8hr so i wanted to find out if i could request luggage to be sent to LHR or to get it stopped at Doha which I know is hard if not impossible. Any tips appreciated
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by salehir
I just wanted to find out whether I could miss the last leg which is DOH-TUN and continue from DOH-LHR instead. I am flying from JNB and this is on the return leg.
If it would be possible then I can just book the DOH-LHR leg on miles which is currently available!:

Stopover between JNB-DOH-TUN is 8hr so i wanted to find out if i could request luggage to be sent to LHR or to get it stopped at Doha which I know is hard if not impossible. Any tips appreciated
If you haven't booked yet, try putting in a stopover in DOH. Sometimes it's very little extra, other times a king's ransom. Then when yu get to /doha, pick up your bags and do as you wish.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Poster

unfortunately the TUN-JNB-TUN is booked which I did so in the sale in Jan ... any other options?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
QR will not short-check your bags to DOH and even less send them to LHR.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Yes, no problem at all, and if they don't short check your bags to DOH, just ask them in DOH to retag your bags to LHR.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by salehir

I'm litrelly thinking about doing something similar as the OP. OP, have you gone ahead and ticketed the second/award ticket yet?
Any potential issue with QR seeing there are 2 tickets over the same time period and canceling one/charging for the "throw away" one?

I need a one-way ticket to IKA, and found a US-DOH-EU one way Y revenue, and found award space DOH-IKA using BA avios. $200 cheaper than US-DOH-IKA. Contemplating this combination unless too much risk getting stranded/etc
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henhen
I'm litrelly thinking about doing something similar as the OP. OP, have you gone ahead and ticketed the second/award ticket yet?
Any potential issue with QR seeing there are 2 tickets over the same time period and canceling one/charging for the "throw away" one?

I need a one-way ticket to IKA, and found a US-DOH-EU one way Y revenue, and found award space DOH-IKA using BA avios. $200 cheaper than US-DOH-IKA. Contemplating this combination unless too much risk getting stranded/etc
I have booked the award ticket via Avios on BA but still not sure whether it will work or not.. the only positive is that I have the 8hr layover before my last leg and my LHR flight is the following day so not sure how the logistics would work
Old Mar 31, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BA6501
QR will not short-check your bags to DOH and even less send them to LHR.
i would echo that. I fear that the advice about short checking or asking for a rehab in Doha is seriously over optimistic. QR is one of the few airlines which actually explicitly mentions no short checking etc in its fare rules and to my knowledge you would at best have to ask to retrieve luggage at doh which will take time and may well also lead to questions and then recheck. If all this makes you miss your departure the ticket will be lost.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic

i would echo that. I fear that the advice about short checking or asking for a rehab in Doha is seriously over optimistic. QR is one of the few airlines which actually explicitly mentions no short checking etc in its fare rules and to my knowledge you would at best have to ask to retrieve luggage at doh which will take time and may well also lead to questions and then recheck. If all this makes you miss your departure the ticket will be lost.
I would side with Orbitmic.
Many airlines are now using the no-shortcheck to prevent pax flouting ticket rules, and QR is one of them.

I strongly doubt that JNB will allow short-check.
There discussions in the following threads:
Short-checking luggage on Ex-EU return leg (QR)
No short-checking luggage in DOH layover
For layovers less than 12 hours (your case), there seems to be little leeway.

Claiming your bag in DOH is a way to short-check. Some airlines such as AFKL impose a fee for retrieving your bag at an intermediary point without stopover. Even in that case, that is not a license to flout the ticket rule. You are still expected to fly according to the ticket.
It would be good to get information from pax who actually did it recently in DOH, rather than some general comments.
When you ask the agent to retag your bag, it will be clear that you are dropping the DOH-TUN segment and you are open to repricing. Simply claiming your bag might be less obvious but still runs against QR no short-check policy.

You state that your LHR flight leaves the next day, so you have plenty of time. But if the agent refuses or ask for repricing, there is not much you can do. Be prepared to have a good story to tell about some emergency, possibly with some supporting document.
Again, it might go like a breeze, but I tend to advise on the cautious side in such situations.
Maybe another option would be to fly to TUN as scheduled and take a TUN-LHR flight. It might cost money though.
orbitmic likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Apr 1, 2018 at 3:35 am
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:51 am
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
they are impossible with this. I flew doh-mia-doh-bkk last year and wanted to spend 2 nights in doha on the return, I figured no big deal, I will get my bag in doha and just either change or buy a new ticket from doha to bkk. they told me it was 800 if I wanted to do this in addition to buying a whole new fair. it was cheaper to fly to bangkok and come back. IMHO QR might be the nicest airline out there but by far the least flexible and least caring.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 7:17 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
they are impossible with this. I flew doh-mia-doh-bkk last year and wanted to spend 2 nights in doha on the return, I figured no big deal, I will get my bag in doha and just either change or buy a new ticket from doha to bkk. they told me it was 800 if I wanted to do this in addition to buying a whole new fair. it was cheaper to fly to bangkok and come back. IMHO QR might be the nicest airline out there but by far the least flexible and least caring.
I'm yet to find an airline that will allow short-checking, and can understand why QR (amongst others) impose such a restriction.

On the flip-side, they do interline, so that's a massive step ahead of BA et al.

M
babyg_wc likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm yet to find an airline that will allow short-checking
Actually, in my experience short checking is fairly common place! Most South East Asian airlines do it without even thinking twice, and till a couple of years ago, it was completely commonplace with AF, KL, and even BA! I've still had it recently on both AF and BA though nowadays you need good reasons to ask which never used to be the case.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you haven't booked yet, try putting in a stopover in DOH. Sometimes it's very little extra, other times a king's ransom. Then when yu get to /doha, pick up your bags and do as you wish.
I must've totally blanked out about stopovers but just came across my radar yesterday. I made a reservation recently and it has a 95.change hr stopover in DOH. I'm guaranteed to get my bags checked only to DOH right? That is if the ticket agent is strict and forces me to check my normal carry on size bag that I typically fly within in US in addition to a backpack.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Actually, in my experience short checking is fairly common place! Most South East Asian airlines do it without even thinking twice, and till a couple of years ago, it was completely commonplace with AF, KL, and even BA! I've still had it recently on both AF and BA though nowadays you need good reasons to ask which never used to be the case.
i think that you are both a bit extreme in your views.
AF and BA had the no short-checking policy in place for many years. They might be a bit more lenient for J pax and high status pax, but I have seen and heard it enforced quite strictly, especially at some airports like Tokyo, Hong Kong or JFK. And the trend is towards stricter enforcement even at Asian airlines.
Nowadays, I would not give anyone the advice to gamble on a short check by the checking agent, and certainly on QR which seems the stricter of all.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by brunos

i think that you are both a bit extreme in your views.
AF and BA had the no short-checking policy in place for many years. They might be a bit more lenient for J pax and high status pax, but I have seen and heard it enforced quite strictly, especially at some airports like Tokyo, Hong Kong or JFK. And the trend is towards stricter enforcement even at Asian airlines.
Nowadays, I would not give anyone the advice to gamble on a short check by the checking agent, and certainly on QR which seems the stricter of all.
Everything is enforced strictly in Tokyo! At JFK though, I did have luggage short checked by both AF and BA many times in the past. I have also had luggage through checked on separate bookings on non-alliance partner airlines by both BA and AF at JFK! You are certainly right that this was undoubtedly related to status and that the rules were always stricter, but I was answering a suggestion that no airline did it, and in my experience, occurrences were not infrequent - certainly not as a "right" and certainly not every time and to everyone, but this was fairly common. As you say, tendency is towards greater strictness nowadays, but in the last 12 months, people travelling with me have had luggage short checked by both Bangkok Airways and Malaysia Airlines on connecting itineraries so it certainly still happens. Again, status/agent/station manager/class of travel/how you ask/how lucky you are on the day etc are all potential ingredients that will make it more or less likely that this is accepted so I am certainly not suggesting/have never suggested that anyone should ever assume that this will be granted. But it happens and in general, if people want it, I would recommend that they ask kindly at check in and making it clear that this is as a favour. With QR (or nowadays with BA or KL) however, I would say that hope is minimal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.