Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CMB Turnaround?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:11 am
Original Poster

CMB Turnaround?

The wife and I were able to pick one of the awesome CMB-PHL fares earlier in the year and booked a DOH-CMB flight to place ourselves for the flight (we live in Doha). Our itinerary (red font on the same itinerary) is:
QR 668: DOH - CMB 1800 - 0145 (+1)
QR 663: CMB - DOH 0405 - 0645
DOH - PHL

PHL - DOH
QR 668: DOH - CMB 1800 - 0145 (+1)
QR 669: CMB - DOH 0315 - 0550

I called the call center agent to check if my bags will be tagged in DOH all the way to PHL on the first part and in PHL all the way back to DOH on the second part, and the answer was an emphatic yes, as long as I show my two tickets, the bags will be checked all the way through to the final destination, which would be helpful since I wouldn;t have to spend time picking bags up and checking them back in at CMB.
I checked at DOH a couple days ago with the check-in agent (just to be sure), and I was told that this would not be possible. I would have to pick re-check my bags in CMB.

I think I'll be OK in the first part since we are not flying on the same aircraft back to DOH, but I'm concerned about the second part of the journey, and whether I'll be able to make it.
Does anyone have experience with CMB turnarounds and whether this is possible? Or should I change my DOH-CMB-DOH itinerary to give myself a larger buffer?
FWIW, I'm an Indian citizen (e-visa for Sri Lanka) and QRPC Platinum.

Thanks for your help folks, as always
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Interesting. Last year I had separate return ticket doh-Dxb which book ended the other ticket Dxb-doh-muc return. They were emphatic that they would NOT check my bag through to MUC. I had the check my bag to Dxb, then clear customs and pick up my bag and check in at Dxb. I hope you do not get caught out!!!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
An hour and a half turn around in CMB is definitely possible with checked bags, but there can be no dilly-dallying.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:58 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I don't know know if QR allows this but maybe on the return see if you can just short check your bag to DOH.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I don't know know if QR allows this but maybe on the return see if you can just short check your bag to DOH.
From previous experience, they don't. But no harm in asking again Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
An hour and a half turn around in CMB is definitely possible with checked bags, but there can be no dilly-dallying.
Would you know if immigration and passport control has a fast track for J flyers? And if QR gives out those fast track cards if there is a fast track? I was looking at one of the fast track services advertised by the CMB website like these -- http://www.airport.lk/lounges/silk_route.php
Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
to be deleted - double post

Last edited by palermo; Mar 24, 2018 at 11:01 am Reason: double post
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
There is no fast track in CMB except some services for UL passengers.

After you collect your bag, You need to go back to the terminal. The QR check in may have finished by then. It is a extremely risky move.

If you are taking the risk, you should consider not having checked bags. Clearly this should not be difficult in a mileage run?
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by palermo
There is no fast track in CMB except some services for UL passengers.

After you collect your bag, You need to go back to the terminal. The QR check in may have finished by then. It is a extremely risky move.

If you are taking the risk, you should consider not having checked bags.
+1. And it's not just going back to the terminal. After you collect your bags, you exit to the street. Then turn right, walk about a block, and enter the departures terminal, a separate building. Then multiple lines, ID checks, security checks, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.