Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in lounge showers etc?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I also don’t like tipping in situations like this but as rule of thumb I look for a tip jar. If there is one then I suppose that tipping is expected in that country/situation, and also that the management approves of the practise.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Jeff_
I recall when I wanted to have a shower I have been told that there were at least 3 persons before me in the line'
I can't tell if indeed 3 people went before me but when it was my turn the staff insisted on that he called me before someone who was supposed to be before me in the line. He was clearly waiting for a tip...
​​​​
​​
So that's their M.O. Same thing happened to me. During my last trip via DOH, I skipped the shower; too hot and too steamy in the bathroom. For the life of me, I don't understand why the attendants write your name and flight details on a piece of paper when QR has the means to scan boarding passes or a deli ticket dispenser and display board.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I tip in the showers in the LHR arrivals lounge. Based on what I've read above, I may stop.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, BA Gold, BD Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Intercon Gold Ambassador
I tip often, and in all kinds of circumstances and service sectors, mainly for two reasons:
1) I feel I am fortunate and a bit more well off than many of them in the airport services sector and anything I can do to help I will. Even just one $/€/£/etc might be very minimal for me but is helpful to them.
2) Getting that bit of extra special service in numerous situations and in many circumstances. Specifically, at airports, I can list many examples to fill an entire page; for instance;
A) Tipping a lounge attendants gets special care such as continually checking up on me, cleaning up table, and (sometimes) a few extra perks.
B) Tipping bathroom/shower attendants gets and extra cleaning before using, extra towels, and generally in site if I need anything else.

Aslo, someone earlier made a comment about tipping in the Middle East. I feel that is besides the point and tips are appreciated all overt the world, not just the ME. In the US, I’m sure you can imagine what $20 can do. I even read an article once about a guy who wanted to see how far $20 can get him in New York City. I was amazed what people would do for $20. But maybe I’m transgressing and suitable for a new post
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You are definitely not transgressing. Digressing, maybe, but not transgressing.
DannoTheManno likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I tip in the showers in the LHR arrivals lounge. Based on what I've read above, I may stop.
No need. Please don't give management any ideas.
beepee and ashkale like this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Indeed. And the grammar police would like to inform that it may be beside the point, but not besides it.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I recall when I wanted to have a shower I have been told that there were at least 3 persons before me in the line'
I can't tell if indeed 3 people went before me but when it was my turn the staff insisted on that he called me before someone who was supposed to be before me in the line. He was clearly waiting for a tip...
​​​​​
I had a similar experience: was told no showers were available and there was a waiting list, yet the list of names on the sheet of paper had all been crossed off. He then said, wait a minute, and left for 30 seconds, came back and said he found a shower for me because he recognized me from before.

The other common experience is the shower guy asks where I'm from, then goes on to say what good people we are. Asks if I need anything, trying way too hard to be friendly. When I finish and in the absence of a tip, the guy looks completely depressed and doesn't say a word. Very clear he was expecting a tip, and that's all the more reason not to give one. I do tip in general but not when it's blatantly obvious he's soliciting one.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AmEx Centurion, BA Gold, BD Gold, EK Silver, Hilton Diamond, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Apologies. Indeed, I meant digress, not transgress. However, that wasn’t the gist of my post.
apeortdz likes this.

Last edited by ssamuels; Jan 30, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Too late. I gave a $20 tip to one to bring me a hairdryer.
Wow. Can I get you anything? Cup of tea, maybe?

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
So that's their M.O. Same thing happened to me.
I'm showering at AM far too often, but never happened to me.

Originally Posted by Peregrine415
For the life of me, I don't understand why the attendants write your name and flight details on a piece of paper when QR has the means to scan boarding passes or a deli ticket dispenser and display board.
They've never written my info on a piece of paper; but they do type it into the terminal at the shower area reception desk (the rear one, behind the deli).
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I had a similar experience: was told no showers were available and there was a waiting list, yet the list of names on the sheet of paper had all been crossed off. He then said, wait a minute, and left for 30 seconds, came back and said he found a shower for me .....

....... Very clear he was expecting a tip, and that's all the more reason not to give one. I do tip in general but not when it's blatantly obvious he's soliciting one.
I've never used shower facilities at US airports: but where they exist, I'm sure there'll be pretty clear indications that tipping is expected.

I've noted tip jars on airport shuttles and by the self-esrvice breakfast buffet in hotels. In a hotel executive lounge the free breakfast ended with a written bill for zero dollars delivered by an enterprising member of the lounge team.

So although I've never, ever experienced the situations in the Qatar lounge delineated above, I'm a tad puzzled that when they happen, world travellers would find them worthy of comment.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
A similar situation was raised on the Australian Frequent Flyer forum a couple of years back - Staff looking after showers in the Qantas LA lounge were angling for tips, and a few members raised the issue. QF were alerted and responded, saying that under no circumstances should tips be paid, and that any specific instances should be reported so that management could take action.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Presumably you mean accepting tips, not tipping, yes? I have yet to receive a tip from any of the staff at Al Mourjan.
No wonder they don't tip you if they could get fired for it.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
​​​​
I had this exact same thing happen to me twice last year. I felt like he was implying that I tip and the thought of tipping the guy crossed my mind for a second and then it hit me I was in a lounge in an airport using a shower something I have done hundreds of times and never tipped.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
What? Tip for a hot, humid and hopeless shower arrangement in DOH? Same in AM, AS and the First lounge.. Farce continues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.