Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in lounge showers etc?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Tipping in lounge showers etc?

Just curious really, but it seems to me that the chaps at the shower cubicles etc perhaps expect a tip? Kinda strikes me as odd as the lounges are really an enhancement to those who pay the airfare..any thoughts?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Sometimes I get the feeling that they do expect a tip. Certainly they'd like it. Speaking only for myself, I don't tip in AM.
beepee, ffay005, nivsy and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Not too sure management would be keen on the idea , but bet they would love it. I wouldn't want to encourage it thou myself.
mpkz likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601
but bet they would love it.
Everybody like to get a tip. But that should not be the reason, to give everybody a tip.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Yeh, they do loiteringly linger a little. No tips from me though.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:33 pm

I don't, I just give them a smile and say thank you.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL EK QR TK
The time I used it, the attendant rushed me out. I guess there must be a time limit. No tip to her, but I tipped 2 bar attendants in the lounge. Spectacular service there.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
So funny, I definitely got that vibe as I was shown my shower room last week. I am a tipper but this isnt really the norm, tipping shower attendants.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Not a chance would I tip any of the QR Lounge staff! They have been well trained to perform their jobs to the best of their abilities. When I come across a particularly outstanding staff member I get their name and write to customer service about the service they provided, along with the location, date, time and my own contact information and PC Number in case they want to do a follow up interview. The correspondence is kept on their employment file and can be referred to during employee reviews. I think that is a better approach, rather than conditioning them to use body language and uncomfortable timing pauses to suggest the customer tips them :/
beepee and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Not a chance would I tip any of the QR Lounge staff! They have been well trained to perform their jobs to the best of their abilities. When I come across a particularly outstanding staff member I get their name and write to customer service about the service they provided, along with the location, date, time and my own contact information and PC Number in case they want to do a follow up interview. The correspondence is kept on their employment file and can be referred to during employee reviews. I think that is a better approach, rather than conditioning them to use body language and uncomfortable timing pauses to suggest the customer tips them :/
Maybe so...just seems like a lot of hassle for an attentive shower assistant but I certainly see the logic.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Same here, always get that "vibe", also from the toilet attendees (they ask me where I am from, about my headphones, what my apple watch cost.... things like that)
Originally Posted by mcgahat
So funny, I definitely got that vibe as I was shown my shower room last week. I am a tipper but this isnt really the norm, tipping shower attendants.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
The lounge is an extension of the service on board the aircraft. You don't tip your flight attendants, do you?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 2:21 pm

Some do!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Some do!
oh no! I hope you haven't prompted another round of

cookies for the cabin crew and how much they are appreciated

nancypants and quinzinho like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 4:30 pm

I vaguely remember about two years ago a post that suggested that tipping in Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges was grounds for firing.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.