Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in lounge showers etc?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:14 pm

I was in the Al Mourjan lounge (first time ever for me). Could not get a shower (was told that there were at least 15 people waiting...I only saw one guy waiting right by the entrance to the showers.....unless other people were waiting somewhere else in the lounge. The chairs near the entrance were empty)....
I could easily observe that the guys there were expecting people to tip them....the other pax who was waiting started talking in Hindi to the shower staff....they started indicating (in Hindi) how they could try to "move him up in the line".
Anyways....I was fed up and left...as I didn't have the time or energy to wait and see what would happen if I did not offer tips

Last edited by ft4lyf; Feb 3, 2018 at 1:22 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
interesting i was in the AM lounge recently.

shower attendant was friendly but on hindsight now he seemed to be expecting a tip as he looked rather disappointed when I left without leaving one.

i thought though that receiving / soliciting a tip was grounds for firing - so i did not go into that territory.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Usually the shower area near the sleeping area is my first port of call because fewer people know it’s there... there was a 20-25 minute queue according to the QR agent so I decided to try the shower rooms off the main lounge near the water feature instead on the off chance it'd be quicker. Access to that one seems to be regulated by the shower attendants themselves. I asked for a shower and the guy said there were 6 people ahead of me.

Anyway, he said stick around near the entrance just in case the people on the list don’t show up, and he could move me up the queue. 2 minutes later, he pokes his head out the door, and says “shhhhh, quickly sir, come quickly, you can shower first”. Whilst we’re walking to the door he engages in the usual small talk and tells me not to tell anyone or he’ll get in trouble.

After getting the shower room the guy is overly friendly, lifts the toilet seat for me and puts the bath mat towel etc down. He decides he remembers me from before etc etc. Asks if I need any amenities too.

Anyway the shower is bone dry, and we all know how humid those rooms get.. so obviously there are empty rooms but the attendants will grant you access quicker, if at all, if they think they’ll get a tip!

I didn’t tip him. Against my better judgement I did leave some of the freebie Godavia chocolates off the plane though.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
I know they mean well - and are probably terribly underpaid and so tipping probably does make a difference to them - but I find the over emphasis to impress and please to be borderline creepy..

Originally Posted by Schwann
Usually the shower area near the sleeping area is my first port of call because fewer people know it’s there... there was a 20-25 minute queue according to the QR agent so I decided to try the shower rooms off the main lounge near the water feature instead on the off chance it'd be quicker. Access to that one seems to be regulated by the shower attendants themselves. I asked for a shower and the guy said there were 6 people ahead of me.

Anyway, he said stick around near the entrance just in case the people on the list don’t show up, and he could move me up the queue. 2 minutes later, he pokes his head out the door, and says “shhhhh, quickly sir, come quickly, you can shower first”. Whilst we’re walking to the door he engages in the usual small talk and tells me not to tell anyone or he’ll get in trouble.

After getting the shower room the guy is overly friendly, lifts the toilet seat for me and puts the bath mat towel etc down. He decides he remembers me from before etc etc. Asks if I need any amenities too.

Anyway the shower is bone dry, and we all know how humid those rooms get.. so obviously there are empty rooms but the attendants will grant you access quicker, if at all, if they think they’ll get a tip!

I didn’t tip him. Against my better judgement I did leave some of the freebie Godavia chocolates off the plane though.
bhoyinoz and SullyofDoha like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:38 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by united78
I know they mean well - and are probably terribly underpaid and so tipping probably does make a difference to them - but I find the over emphasis to impress and please to be borderline creepy..
The bathroom attendants do have an ability to make things quite uncomfortable, albeit innocently.

Their training is designed to appease the locals, some of whom have fewer manners than others - and as such, a high level of personal service is opted for.

M
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The bathroom attendants do have an ability to make things quite uncomfortable, albeit innocently.

Their training is designed to appease the locals, some of whom have fewer manners than others - and as such, a high level of personal service is opted for.

M
Indeed, but someone at QR should be aware that in most parts of the world, this level of service is perceived as outright awkward.
I would really like to see efforts put into keeping the toilets cleaner rather than having potty bellhops. I have litteraly seen them staying put in front of stalls, waiting for the door to open so that they can flush the toilet.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by makrom
I would really like to see efforts put into keeping the toilets cleaner rather than having potty bellhops. I have litteraly seen them staying put in front of stalls, waiting for the door to open so that they can flush the toilet.
In some parts of the world, flushing after you're finished apparently is not a given; and people aren't as attentive to it as westerners typically are. I'm happy to have someone standing there to ensure that it happens before I enter the room. Also, I've never had a problem with cleanliness. Before I'm allowed in, the attendant flushes, ensures that a sufficient supply of toilet paper is available, and wet mops the floor and cleans anything else which requires it. If there's one thing with which I've never had a problem at AM, it's cleanliness.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 28, 2018 at 9:05 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
I came across this the other day at a quiet time at DOH. I found it odd and as you say rather uncomfortable being shown to a cubicle, then them insisting on turning the tap on and pumping the soap for me. I'm more than capable of doing all of the above myself...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by S_W_S
I came across this the other day at a quiet time at DOH. I found it odd and as you say rather uncomfortable being shown to a cubicle, then them insisting on turning the tap on and pumping the soap for me. I'm more than capable of doing all of the above myself...
Different cultures have different norms for this stuff, and, as a result, different expectations. In the U.S., for example, bathroom attendants are rare. They turn on the water for you, hand you a towel, etc.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:07 am

I think you have to consider what part of the world you're in. Customs are different here and the staff are working hard for a tip. Tipping is customary in Qatar. These guys are making less than $500 USD a month and sending almost every cent home to their families, they survive on tips.

So next time you are very fortunate to have a shower in an airport, consider the people who have come to Doha to clean up after you. 10qr (2.75cents / 2pounds) is a sufficient tip.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Personally, I would tip, though in a rather irregular fashion. I usually tip any spare foreign small notes I have, whether it being a £5, S$2, or Rp 50,000 (I go mostly cashless these days though). For better or worse, I feel more inclined to tip the attendants who engage in small talk and claim to remember me (and that said, I do remember them).

I was quite surprised though that some actually remember where I am from, which at times took me by surprise, and made me more inclined to tip.

It's good all in all I'd say.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Tulene
So next time you are very fortunate to have a shower in an airport, consider the people who have come to Doha to clean up after you.
Nope, you got that wrong! These people have come to Qatar for employment in a service industry. They are trained and paid a decent wage by HIA. If not, they would not be in Qatar. Believe me, no person would be in Qatar working if they thought they could have it better somewhere else.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I was quite surprised though that some actually remember where I am from, which at times took me by surprise, and made me more inclined to tip.
Not to piss on your bonfire or anything, but if you read this thread, they say that rubbish to everyone in order to procure a tip.

It's almost as bad as that cringey fake interest small talk you get for similar reasons in the US.

Last edited by msm2000uk; Dec 1, 2018 at 11:32 am Reason: Language
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Tulene
Tipping is customary in Qatar.
Are you certain about this? My understanding was that this is not the case... that tips is wholly at one's discretion, and only when service is truly good?

Do the local Qatari tip at the lounges?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by crackjack

Are you certain about this? My understanding was that this is not the case... that tips is wholly at one's discretion, and only when service is truly good?

Do the local Qatari tip at the lounges?
Qatari's tip for everything. Tipping IS customary with almost everything from waiters, to gas attendants to the guy who washes your car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.