Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canberra flight depart at Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Pandra
In reply to Orbitmic regarding lounge access at CBR, it is the quantas domestic lounge - you go through the domestic security and into the quantas lounge and then prior to boarding you go through international security. They made announcements in he lounge for boarding. There is a duty free once you pass through international security. We had approx 40 minutes in the Qantas lounge in Sydney on the way home, worth doing! We didn’t have time on the outbound. And yes immigration and customs a breeze in CBR when we landed, through in about 5 mins! Let me know if you’d like any other info (we did it from ARN last February when it first launched)
Thanks! That's brilliant! Can you tell me what's the meal sequence (I know it is technically "on demand"). But Is it something like:

DOH-SYD: Lunch menu, anytime small plates, Breakfast menu
SYD-CBR: Drinks only (any nuts or something?)
CBR-SYD: Drinks again?
SYD-DOH: Lunch, anytime small plates, dinner? (or breakfast just before midnight?!)

Thanks again! Still hoping our QSuites stick and are not replaced by the regular 777!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
Yes going out was as you say, but sorry but we can’t really remember if it was dinner or breakfast SYD-DOH before we landed - we were in the QF lounge before we boarded and again in SYD ( we were determined to try the famed calamari and it was good!) so we dined on demand and slept quite a bit. The SYD-CBR was no food just drinks and no alcohol on the ground before we took off but served once we’d taken off. But it was literally only about 20 mins and the seatbelt sign didn’t come off! There was preflight champagne at CBR and again no food it as I say we had eaten in lounge (food was good).

We actually like the standard 777, slept well and were comfortable (I don’t like the ‘foot coffins’ on the newer planes) but appreciate a lot of people aren’t so keen. We have our first Qsuites coming up HKG-DOH in October and have our fingers crossed as well!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes going out was as you say, but sorry but we can’t really remember if it was dinner or breakfast SYD-DOH before we landed - we were in the QF lounge before we boarded and again in SYD ( we were determined to try the famed calamari and it was good!) so we dined on demand and slept quite a bit. The SYD-CBR was no food just drinks and no alcohol on the ground before we took off but served once we’d taken off. But it was literally only about 20 mins and the seatbelt sign didn’t come off! There was preflight champagne at CBR and again no food it as I say we had eaten in lounge (food was good).

We actually like the standard 777, slept well and were comfortable (I don’t like the ‘foot coffins’ on the newer planes) but appreciate a lot of people aren’t so keen. We have our first Qsuites coming up HKG-DOH in October and have our fingers crossed as well!
Yes, I know the CBR lounge well and quite like it. I particularly like their lovely juice press in the morning which I have every intention to enjoy before that long flight, and their barrista coffee is excellent (as in all QF lounges to be honest).
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
My understanding is that cyru5 did not go on the earlier flight. He just went to the check in desk dedicated to the earlier flight to ask if he/she could be checked in for the later one. At SYD the check in is flight specific normally.
Correct. We didn't ask for the earlier flight (QR907). So we just asked to check us in on our QR909 flight early and get lounge access.

There are "only" 2 flights from SYD to DOH per day at about 3pm and 9pm. Check-In starts 3hrs before take-off and closes 40mins prior to that.
So if you have as many time as we had and you miss the check-in until 2:30pm, then you have to wait with all your luggage until 6pm without any lounge access (because it's after security).

Thanks for the report! I am definitely interested as I am taking this flight in a few days (in both directions). I imagine that the time you have in SYD to enjoy the lounge depends on whether your flight from DOH arrives on time, late, or early, so almost thinking that ours will be early as I love the SYD QF F lounge and wouldn't mind an hour or so there before the short hop to CBR!! I imagine that the process is the same the other way round.

And yes, with so few international flights into CBR, I imagine that immigration and customs must be a breeze if you are in J and thus first to disembark!
I don't know how they handle the overlay time but I don't think you have 1hr time in the lounge.
We were landing in time, then you have to get off the plane, walk to security, get through security and then go upstairs to departures and to QF lounge. Our flight was starting from Gate 36, which is at the end of the departure hall. Ok Sydney Airport is not Dubai or Doha, but you need a short walk to the gate. And for us it was the first time at SYD Airport, so you need some time to know where to go.
I would say, if you are really fast, the time in QF lounge can be about 30mins.

Immigration at CBR was the fastest I ever had.
You get of the plane with only a short walk to baggage claim area. Unloading was super fast, so luggage was nearly there when we arrived. Including us there were about 15-20 people coming from the plane and there was no other plane at same time.
Then you take your stuff and walk to the exit. There were 2 people asking for the immigration cards and marking them with some signs. Then there is directly immigration without any queue and took us only some seconds. Just checking passports and letting us go.

Thanks! That's brilliant! Can you tell me what's the meal sequence (I know it is technically "on demand"). But Is it something like:

DOH-SYD: Lunch menu, anytime small plates, Breakfast menu
SYD-CBR: Drinks only (any nuts or something?)
CBR-SYD: Drinks again?
SYD-DOH: Lunch, anytime small plates, dinner? (or breakfast just before midnight?!)

Thanks again! Still hoping our QSuites stick and are not replaced by the regular 777!
There is really no sequence. Get whatever you want whenever you want how many times you want. You can eat steak at 9am or breakfast at 9pm.
At the beginning they will ask you what you want and if you wan't to reserve anything. You can give them your whole eating sequence or just order on demand.

DOH-SYD (sorry for bad picture quality)

SYD-CBR
Normal drink service. Before take-off and then asking a second time after take-off.
I had a drink in the lounge, so didn't drink anything there. My wife had champagne before take-off (without nuts) and a coke during the flight.
No meals.

SYD-DOH (sorry again for bad quality)

Last edited by cyru5; Sep 3, 2018 at 5:25 am
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by cyru5
I don't know how they handle the overlay time but I don't think you have 1hr time in the lounge.
We were landing in time, then you have to get off the plane, walk to security, get through security and then go upstairs to departures and to QF lounge. Our flight was starting from Gate 36, which is at the end of the departure hall. Ok Sydney Airport is not Dubai or Doha, but you need a short walk to the gate. And for us it was the first time at SYD Airport, so you need some time to know where to go.
I would say, if you are really fast, the time in QF lounge can be about 30mins.

Immigration at CBR was the fastest I ever had.
You get of the plane with only a short walk to baggage claim area. Unloading was super fast, so luggage was nearly there when we arrived. Including us there were about 15-20 people coming from the plane and there was no other plane at same time.
Then you take your stuff and walk to the exit. There were 2 people asking for the immigration cards and marking them with some signs. Then there is directly immigration without any queue and took us only some seconds. Just checking passports and letting us go.

There is really no sequence. Get whatever you want whenever you want how many times you want. You can eat steak at 9am or breakfast at 9pm.
At the beginning they will ask you what you want and if you wan't to reserve anything. You can give them your whole eating sequence or just order on demand.

DOH-SYD (sorry for bad picture quality)

SYD-CBR
Normal drink service. Before take-off and then asking a second time after take-off.
I had a drink in the lounge, so didn't drink anything there. My wife had champagne before take-off (without nuts) and a coke during the flight.
No meals.

SYD-DOH (sorry again for bad quality)
Thanks for the menus that's great!!! Based on the mains of the first meal, my outbound will be the same and I think you are the first to get the new Calombaris specials and I really hope to get the same as they sound great! Did you try either of them?

And yes, I know we can eat anything anytime (done 50+ QR J flights! ) but I meant the listed meals so what you posted is very useful indeed!

And completely understand on the unlikely aspect of getting an hour in the lounge, but in my experience, depending on wind and luck, on flights to Oz/Nz, it can actually happen to arrive a whole hour early or more (or indeed late sadly!) so just not sure if they keep the original departure time from SYD in such a case, which would then give more time in the lovely QF lounge.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:33 pm

PS: I think you should post the menus in the J meals forum too as it will be of great interest to many! ^
Old Sep 19, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite.
Qatar flights.

Looking @ Qatar for next year(usually fly SIA out of CBR) how are people finding them,can any one compare against SIA( especially their biz class product)Cheers
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by hackneycab2
Looking @ Qatar for next year(usually fly SIA out of CBR) how are people finding them,can any one compare against SIA( especially their biz class product)Cheers
I live in Canberra and have done both. QR is nicer IMO (with the QSuite), and the timings are certainly nicer. The SQ seats are awful IMO.
hackneycab2 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite.
Originally Posted by Grace B
I live in Canberra and have done both. QR is nicer IMO (with the QSuite), and the timings are certainly nicer. The SQ seats are awful IMO.
Thanks.I am just hoping that by next year SIA has upgraded most(if not all) all of their services to the UK.Timings are certainly a plus! Coming back very late in the evening is a real pain,& then having to travel 60+ks in roo infested country.Must admit though,I didn’t have an issue with SIA biz product though,but in saying that the old product is just not cutting it anymore.I will be certainly giving Qatar serious consideration.Cheers
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
In reply to Orbitmic regarding lounge access at CBR, it is the quantas domestic lounge - you go through the domestic security and into the quantas lounge and then prior to boarding you go through international security. They made announcements in he lounge for boarding. There is a duty free once you pass through international security. We had approx 40 minutes in the Qantas lounge in Sydney on the way home, worth doing! We didn’t have time on the outbound. And yes immigration and customs a breeze in CBR when we landed, through in about 5 mins! Let me know if you’d like any other info (we did it from ARN last February when it first launched)
Just to clarify, you flew QR CBR-SYD-DOH on the return? In CBR you first cleared domestic security, then cleared international security where, at the gate or before the gate? When you landed in SYD, did you need to re-clear security before continuing to DOH?

And completely understand on the unlikely aspect of getting an hour in the lounge, but in my experience, depending on wind and luck, on flights to Oz/Nz, it can actually happen to arrive a whole hour early or more (or indeed late sadly!) so just not sure if they keep the original departure time from SYD in such a case, which would then give more time in the lovely QF lounge.
As I understand it, QR can not pick up anyone in SYD for the flight to CBR, so the only passengers will be those who arrived on the plane from DOH. Thus, if they arriving in SYD early they might leave early.

I'll be flying QR DOH-SYD-CBR next month, and have an onward connection from CBR to OOL as a separate ticket on QF, so I hope the QR flight is not late.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:30 am

Another question: is there any extra security at the gate for DOH-SYD?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Just to clarify, you flew QR CBR-SYD-DOH on the return? In CBR you first cleared domestic security, then cleared international security where, at the gate or before the gate? When you landed in SYD, did you need to re-clear security before continuing to DOH?

As I understand it, QR can not pick up anyone in SYD for the flight to CBR, so the only passengers will be those who arrived on the plane from DOH. Thus, if they arriving in SYD early they might leave early.

I'll be flying QR DOH-SYD-CBR next month, and have an onward connection from CBR to OOL as a separate ticket on QF, so I hope the QR flight is not late.
On 1: that's correct: first dom security, then intl security complete with the new powder rules. In that direction you then do not reclear security at SYD.

On 2: we arrived an hour early in SYD but still departed only 5 minutes before the original scheduled time. On the plus side that left tons of time for the lounge.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:37 pm

Another question: is there any extra security at the gate for DOH-SYD?
yes all flights to Oz get rescreening at the gate, notably with strict liquid controls so don't bother getting a bottle of water from the terminal.
piotrger likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:33 pm

yes all flights to Oz get rescreening at the gate, notably with strict liquid controls so don't bother getting a bottle of water from the terminal.

Funny thing on my flight:
On transit from ARN-DOH-SYD I went to rescreening and started to pull out my laptop and take off watch, belt, etc. The security guy there yelled at me I should keep everything on and just go through the scanner (no body scan, just the normal one). I was a little bit confused and said "Ok, but I need to take out my liquids" and he replied "leave as it is and please go through the scanner". Of course the scanner was red, they manually scanned me and I could go on.
On transit from SYD-DOH-ARN I went also to rescreening and just left everything as it was. I walked through the scanner, it was red, they manually scanned me and the security guy was mad at me, why I didn't take off the watch, belt, etc. I told him the story from my first visit and he said that's not possible. So he sent me back to take everything off and out my pockets.

They change crew in SYD, so the new crew must be there earlier.
They have planned start slots in SYD, so they need to ask for earlier ones.
They have planned time frames for cleaning and fueling. And so on ... so I don't think they change their plan.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:53 pm

On 1: that's correct: first dom security, then intl security complete with the new powder rules. In that direction you then do not reclear security at SYD.
When you arrived at SYD from CBR, you deplaned directly at gate level and could walk straight to QR international lounge?

On 2: we arrived an hour early in SYD but still departed only 5 minutes before the original scheduled time. On the plus side that left tons of time for the lounge.
Sound good! How much time in SYD is scheduled?

Do they do the thing where all electronics larger than a phone are separately screened and sealed in a bag? (I'm not sure if that's just for flights to the US and UK.)

Funny thing on my flight:
On transit from ARN-DOH-SYD I went to rescreening and started to pull out my laptop and take off watch, belt, etc. The security guy there yelled at me I should keep everything on and just go through the scanner (no body scan, just the normal one). I was a little bit confused and said "Ok, but I need to take out my liquids" and he replied "leave as it is and please go through the scanner". Of course the scanner was red, they manually scanned me and I could go on.

On transit from SYD-DOH-ARN I went also to rescreening and just left everything as it was. I walked through the scanner, it was red, they manually scanned me and the security guy was mad at me, why I didn't take off the watch, belt, etc. I told him the story from my first visit and he said that's not possible. So he sent me back to take everything off and out my pockets.
Sounds frustratingly inconsistent.

They change crew in SYD, so the new crew must be there earlier.
They have planned start slots in SYD, so they need to ask for earlier ones.
They have planned time frames for cleaning and fueling. And so on ... so I don't think they change their plan.
Good points, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.