FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Canberra flight depart at Sydney (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1869366-canberra-flight-depart-sydney.html)

poppyz Sep 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Canberra flight depart at Sydney

Booked one way fare to canberra for 55k miles, fantastic value.
I know this flight has a stop at Sydney ,can you depart here ?

Grace B Sep 29, 2017 1:52 am

Originally Posted by poppyz (Post 28870957)
Booked one way fare to canberra for 55k miles, fantastic value.
I know this flight has a stop at Sydney ,can you depart here ?

I don't see why not, but QR may frown on it. Just get off the plane and go through immigration into the Sydney sunshine.

MichaelBaku Sep 29, 2017 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 28872422)
I don't see why not, but QR may frown on it. Just get off the plane and go through immigration into the Sydney sunshine.

....but don't expect any checked bags to get off at SYD with you!.....and be prepared for a security alert when passenger disappears but leave bags on board. Why not ask Qatar to change your destination to Sydney?

Mwenenzi Sep 29, 2017 2:22 am

Originally Posted by poppyz (Post 28870957)
Booked one way fare to Canberra for 55k miles, fantastic value.
I know this flight has a stop at Sydney, can you depart here?

Is this on the new DOH-SYD-CBR flight?
https://www.qatarairways.com/en-au/o...CID=DMAU105450

We are delighted to announce that Qatar Airways is launching daily flights from Canberra on 13 February 2018*. The flight will be operated by our award-winning Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and will be operated via Sydney. Canberra will become the fifth destination in Qatar Airways’ Australian network, after Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, and Perth, flying to more than 150 places around the world including 43 European cities..
Expect you would clear immigration, customs & quarantine at CBR. (As a side note SQ fly SIN-CBR-WLG)
QR are unlikely to short check any checked baggage to SYD

Grace B Sep 29, 2017 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 28872490)
QR are unlikely to short check any checked baggage to SYD

Yes, good point. Not a problem if you don't check bags (as I don't).

amnicoll Sep 29, 2017 3:33 am

I would certainly consider the security issue and possible repercussions - it may be best to do this with the blessing and knowledge of QR and not just disappear

Grace B Sep 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by amnicoll (Post 28872594)
I would certainly consider the security issue and possible repercussions - it may be best to do this with the blessing and knowledge of QR and not just disappear

may not be a problem, as I've done it several times in SYD/AKL, but then I am an Australian citizen.

Himeno Oct 1, 2017 1:02 am

This flight is a way for QR to get around the Air Service Agreement limit of 21 weekly flights to the 4 major Australian ports (PER/MEL/SYD/BNE) and get a 2nd daily flight to SYD without having to cut PER or MEL or wait for the Air Service Agreement limits to be increased again.
Australian ports other then PER/MEL/SYD/BNE are unlimited.
The agreement allows for an extra 7 weekly flights to the limited ports provided that flight is to/via an unlimited port.

On this flight, QR would be allowed to sell DOH-SYD, DOH-CBR, CBR-DOH and SYD-DOH. They can't sell or carry passengers/cargo solely between CBR and SYD.

To get this flight to/from SYD, just book it as DOH-SYD.
Passengers going to/from CBR would be treated as international connections in SYD.

cyru5 Sep 1, 2018 12:39 am

Want to add my QR ARN-DOH-SYD-CBR experience here. Flown the route about 3 weeks ago with QSuites.

Shortly before landing in SYD the crew gave us the immigration cards to fill them out. The crew announcement said that they wish everyone a nice time in SYD. Nothing about the route to CBR. I asked a crew member what I should do and where to go for transit to CBR, but she didn't knew and said the route is very new. So she asked another crew member and they explained that there will be a "guide" after going from the plane.

After leaving the plan there was really a QR staff member asking for people with transit to CBR. Then they gave us "transit cards" and we should go to security fast and then go directly to departure level and to the gate XY (don't remember). The flight will start shortly. So we went through security but no immigration process and then directly to departures. After arriving there we saw that we had about 20mins left before boarding time. So we went to the Qantas International Business Lounge for a short look and small drink and left after 10mins for boarding.

So if someone wants to know if you can make it to the lounge: yes you can without problems. Is it really necessary? I don't think so - time is too short and meals good enough at QR.

Flight from SYD to CBR was the same machine with a quick cleaning. First flight (to SYD) was nearly full, the flight to CBR was only us and another woman. Flight time was about 40mins and there was only drink service and a hot/cold towel of course. The crew member told us he is flying the route also for the first time. Then immigration clearance was done at CBR. A smaller airport, so immigration and baggage claim was really fast and easy.

In total very good flight with QSuites, on the extra leg nearly only for us. Impressive to have (nearly) the whole QSuite cabin for you alone and switch between the seats, test the product and have nice views over SYD and CBR. Even if the route is operating since March (?), the crew is not really familiar with the procedure but everything went well. Thanks QR for the nice trip.

If you have any questions, just ask.
Btw. sitting atm in Qantas Lounge at SYD again for flight back home. This time directly from SYD-DOH-ARN with A380 an first leg and 787 on second leg.

//edit: just if someone has the same situation: business check-in on earlier Qatar flight (QR907) for later flight (QR909) was no problem. I landed at SYD on 12:30pm from domestic flight and had plenty of time till 9pm for QR flight. So went to check-in for their 3pm flight and asked if its possible. Staff member needed to make a call and ask if its ok and then she checked us and our baggage in. So we could walk directly to lounge.

dsf Sep 1, 2018 5:13 am

Originally Posted by cyru5 (Post 30154649)
//edit: just if someone has the same situation: business check-in on earlier Qatar flight (QR907) for later flight (QR909) was no problem. I landed at SYD on 12:30pm from domestic flight and had plenty of time till 9pm for QR flight. So went to check-in for their 3pm flight and asked if its possible. Staff member needed to make a call and ask if its ok and then she checked us and our baggage in. So we could walk directly to lounge.

That is very interesting! ^ I'm flying on QR909 next month but it's tempting to try and get on QR907 for the suites...

orbitmic Sep 1, 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by dsf (Post 30155102)
That is very interesting! ^ I'm flying on QR909 next month but it's tempting to try and get on QR907 for the suites...

My understanding is that cyru5 did not go on the earlier flight. He just went to the check in desk dedicated to the earlier flight to ask if he/she could be checked in for the later one. At SYD the check in is flight specific normally.

orbitmic Sep 1, 2018 7:47 am

Originally Posted by cyru5 (Post 30154649)
Want to add my QR ARN-DOH-SYD-CBR experience here. Flown the route about 3 weeks ago with QSuites.

Shortly before landing in SYD the crew gave us the immigration cards to fill them out. The crew announcement said that they wish everyone a nice time in SYD. Nothing about the route to CBR. I asked a crew member what I should do and where to go for transit to CBR, but she didn't knew and said the route is very new. So she asked another crew member and they explained that there will be a "guide" after going from the plane.

After leaving the plan there was really a QR staff member asking for people with transit to CBR. Then they gave us "transit cards" and we should go to security fast and then go directly to departure level and to the gate XY (don't remember). The flight will start shortly. So we went through security but no immigration process and then directly to departures. After arriving there we saw that we had about 20mins left before boarding time. So we went to the Qantas International Business Lounge for a short look and small drink and left after 10mins for boarding.

So if someone wants to know if you can make it to the lounge: yes you can without problems. Is it really necessary? I don't think so - time is too short and meals good enough at QR.

Flight from SYD to CBR was the same machine with a quick cleaning. First flight (to SYD) was nearly full, the flight to CBR was only us and another woman. Flight time was about 40mins and there was only drink service and a hot/cold towel of course. The crew member told us he is flying the route also for the first time. Then immigration clearance was done at CBR. A smaller airport, so immigration and baggage claim was really fast and easy.

In total very good flight with QSuites, on the extra leg nearly only for us. Impressive to have (nearly) the whole QSuite cabin for you alone and switch between the seats, test the product and have nice views over SYD and CBR. Even if the route is operating since March (?), the crew is not really familiar with the procedure but everything went well. Thanks QR for the nice trip.

If you have any questions, just ask.
Btw. sitting atm in Qantas Lounge at SYD again for flight back home. This time directly from SYD-DOH-ARN with A380 an first leg and 787 on second leg.

Thanks for the report! I am definitely interested as I am taking this flight in a few days (in both directions). I imagine that the time you have in SYD to enjoy the lounge depends on whether your flight from DOH arrives on time, late, or early, so almost thinking that ours will be early as I love the SYD QF F lounge and wouldn't mind an hour or so there before the short hop to CBR!! :) I imagine that the process is the same the other way round.

And yes, with so few international flights into CBR, I imagine that immigration and customs must be a breeze if you are in J and thus first to disembark! BTW, if anyone has flown this in the other direction, do you have lounge access from CBR? I only know the domestic lounges but have no idea if you can access them when flying international or if there is anything in the international area from which I have never flown!

dsf Sep 1, 2018 8:23 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 30155412)
My understanding is that cyru5 did not go on the earlier flight. He just went to the check in desk dedicated to the earlier flight to ask if he/she could be checked in for the later one. At SYD the check in is flight specific normally.

Oh damn, now I read it again I see what you mean. Guess I'll suffer the QF F lounge until 10pm then...

orbitmic Sep 1, 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by dsf (Post 30155517)
Guess I'll suffer the QF F lounge until 10pm then...

What a terrible fate! ;) :D

Pandra Sep 1, 2018 9:48 am

In reply to Orbitmic regarding lounge access at CBR, it is the quantas domestic lounge - you go through the domestic security and into the quantas lounge and then prior to boarding you go through international security. They made announcements in he lounge for boarding. There is a duty free once you pass through international security. We had approx 40 minutes in the Qantas lounge in Sydney on the way home, worth doing! We didn’t have time on the outbound. And yes immigration and customs a breeze in CBR when we landed, through in about 5 mins! Let me know if you’d like any other info (we did it from ARN last February when it first launched)