Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat54
Inaugural Flight Wiki:

Flight Number // FT username // Seat Number // Connecting from/to
QR324 : lost_in_translation : classified : QR874 (DOH-CAN)
QR323 : seat54 : 7K : QR831 (BKK - DOH)
QR324 : seat54 : 7K : QR946 (DOH - SIN)
Print Wikipost

The CWL (Cardiff) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Qatar disappointed by pax numbers from CWL.

Eleven weeks after Qatar Airways launched flights between Cardiff Airport and its hub in Doha, the airline’s chief executive has expressed disappointment with how well the flights are attracting passengers.

Akbar Al Baker told The Independent: “Cardiff is still not performing as we expected it to perform. We are giving it time. We are hoping Cardiff will come around, passenger-wise. Air freight-wise, it’s doing absolutely well – there’s a lot of air-freight demand in and out of Cardiff.”
Independent news
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Hopefully numbers will rise but I doubt we will see a sharp increase in numbers. Hopefully they can get to around 4500 month
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Well the news is coming thick and fast on this route today.

Qatar Airways will receive £1m from the Welsh Government to market Wales as a destination around the world
BBC news
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:35 am

Yes , it is encouraging that 1500 out of a possible 1750 seats were sold in that week.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:14 pm

Had some family fly out to visit us on Saturday, said the flight was nearly full (could have been due to the start of the summer holidays)
My parents will be visiting later in August so will be interesting to see what the numbers are like then.

I also didn't know that it was a choice between Cardiff and Bristol (which is my home city!)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:20 pm

On another note, the prices from DOH-CWL are massive. We were looking to fly home for Christmas, but at a cost of QR 18,820 (£3,930) for a family of four is crazy! Flying to LHR is a bit cheaper at QR 16,400 (£3,425)
As always its cheaper the other way around (from UK) and the LHR/CWL prices are similar.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
CAA route statistics showing 4491 passengers for June 18. Quite a jump on May’s figure. All we need now is average yield and we have something meaningful!

Edited to list the correct month.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
CAA route statistics showing 4491 passengers for June 18. Quite a jump on May’s figure. All we need now is average yield and we have something meaningful!

Edited to list the correct month.
Yes an encouraging jump. The problem before was that Qatar were so late in listing the routes for sale. Most people who take a long haul holiday plan 10 to 12 months ahead.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Well, that's something we are not going to get

And we'll get no idea how many of those seats were taken by folk who'd have otherwise travelled on LHR, LGW or BHX services
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Well, that's something we are not going to get

And we'll get no idea how many of those seats were taken by folk who'd have otherwise travelled on LHR, LGW or BHX services
Or how many QR have attracted from other airlines.

I am just happy that CWL now provides an option other than KLM to fly long haul to the far East. As I have said previously, I would still fly from LHR on a paid business ticket due to the lounge offerings and number of flights to choose from. I am more than happy to fly economy from CWL.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:02 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
In fairness to Cardiff airport, their business lounge offering has improved quite a lot recently. While I agree that the LHR QR lounge is far better, there is an adequate alternative at Cardiff, and I think very few passengers would prefer the trip to LHR purely for the lounge.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
... I think very few passengers would prefer the trip to LHR purely for the lounge.
It's the draw of free booze and grub in posh surroundings Though with the promise of onboard service only an hour or so away, the charm of the freebies surely wilts a little

I'm sure Cardiff can offer better food for leisurely consumption in an environment equally as refined as an airport lounge, paid for by the cash and time saving of using the local airport.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:30 am

In fairness to Cardiff airport, their business lounge offering has improved quite a lot recently. While I agree that the LHR QR lounge is far better, there is an adequate alternative at Cardiff, and I think very few passengers would prefer the trip to LHR purely for the lounge.
You mean Prosecco and cawl? Or am I missing something. I have used the lounge three times recently and other than it being just a 35 minute trip from my house ( and I live in Cardiff) can't say the lounge has improved that much. Cardiff airport isn't actually in that convenient a location transport wise.

The point is if someone is living in Bristol the travel times are almost the same to Cardiff airport or Heathrow. So then we factor in price. Cardiff is expensive to park at and the business class tickets are either the same or slightly higher from Cardiff. The lounges are worlds apart. Plus you have the choice of 6 flights to depart from at Heathrow compared to 1 from Cardiff. Therefore , if you are flying to a destination such as Vietnam your transit times at Doha will be way less.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
The point is if someone is living in Bristol the travel times are almost the same to Cardiff airport or Heathrow. So then we factor in price. Cardiff is expensive to park at and the business class tickets are either the same or slightly higher from Cardiff. The lounges are worlds apart. Plus you have the choice of 6 flights to depart from at Heathrow compared to 1 from Cardiff. Therefore , if you are flying to a destination such as Vietnam your transit times at Doha will be way less.
Absolutely... I live near BRS and have just made an Avios redemption on QR and LHR is a no-brainer because of the lounge. But that won't be the view of everyone I guess!
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by tinkicker
Qatar disappointed by pax numbers from CWL.

Independent news
the guy is such a clown. He was told continuously from staff CWL will fail. But he reminds everyone that only he, being a male, knows how to run an airline at the right destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.