Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR Selling Lounge Access (including Al Mourjan)!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ow Saph

Just got an email which QR sent to "travel partners" (and was apparently delivered in error to all QR FF in certain countries).

Apparently agents can sell lounge access to passengers on behalf of QR. Different prices were published for First, Business, and Al Mourjan lounges as well as the Arrivals Lounge.

There was reference to this being auto-priced via Amadeus, with other GDSs coming soon. So perhaps it's old news and lounge access has always been sold, this is just a new automation of the process. But I hadn't seen mention of it here...thought it might be of interest.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Following on from EK & EY that have introduced this recently.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Would be interested to pay for Al Safwa if the price was right ....
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
I think it's a sad trend we are observing here.

There are probably quite a number of travelers that book business class also to be able to enjoy a shower and some good food during their layover in Doha. I can imagine more people booking coach and buying access to Al Mourjan for a few bucks than paying the premium to fly business class and getting access by sitting in the front of the plane.

Offering people to get access by paying also goes against the rather strict rules with Al Safwa and Al Mourjan compared to the usual oneworld rules.
moeser and Abyssin like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Australian Business Traveller published this in May 17. they quoted prices of 165A$ for AM, 110A$ and 92A$ for OW First/BC lounges respectively. No possibility to buy in to Al Safwa.

Flying in Y I would never pay as much for one of these lounges.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airwa...usiness-lounge
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:30 am

For those who are saying they'd never pay so much for access to the lounges: you just need to make calculated decision based on the price of a champagne served there and how many bottles you think you can kill

I'd imagine if Al Mourjan still served Krug, this offer would be rather popular
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Originally Posted by klausa
For those who are saying they'd never pay so much for access to the lounges: you just need to make calculated decision based on the price of a champagne served there and how many bottles you think you can kill

I'd imagine if Al Mourjan still served Krug, this offer would be rather popular
I doubt many travelers will know about the possibility to buy access, and of the ones that do know, probably only a few will make their decision based on the amount of money they can drink in the lounge
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by toz100
Australian Business Traveller published this in May 17. they quoted prices of 165A$ for AM,....
If that's accurate, I don't see many people paying just for the shower access.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by hotwingz
I doubt many travelers will know about the possibility to buy access, and of the ones that do know, probably only a few will make their decision based on the amount of money they can drink in the lounge
Come on now, this is flyertalk, maximising is what we do
moeser likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hotwingz
I doubt many travelers will know about the possibility to buy access...
If they don't know, it's at the door of QR's marketing wing.

If the airline has decided to generate cash in this way, it would be bizarre not to promulgate the offer. There again, this is Qatar Airways .......
Old Aug 22, 2017, 9:38 am

I doubt that many people are going to buy access into it. If you have a normal layover ( less then 3 hours) you can get some decent food in the normal restaurants for much less.
People might be looking into this if the layover goes somewhat over 4 hours.
But even then the can avail of the free tour and not sit in a lounge.
Paid access to lounges has been offered at many airports regardless of airlines.

Also, I might be the exception but when I am flying in C I fly for the comfort of the seat in regards to width, seat pitch, and cushion. I can do without lounge access and Schlampus. For me the beer in Y does serve well.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:17 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Part of the move into selling lounge access, other than the clear financial gains, must be the fact that Lounge-Only operators do quite well.

No 1 Lounges, Aspire, etc are all growing (albeit their financial models aren't great). However, while the biggest cost for them is the renting of the space, airlines don't have that issue as they're already paying for the lounge rent.

The EK and EY lounges can, at times, be very busy - so adding additional passengers wont help matters. However, the same can be said about the lounges at HIA.

All being said, if I wanted somewhere comfortable to sit, and had a lengthy layover, I'd definitely consider paying for lounge access.

M
Abyssin likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I actually don't know how widespread their marketing is, but I flew through Al Mourjan a number of times the past month (maybe 3), and on one occasion, stood in line behind three gentlemen who were purchasing lounge access.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:39 pm

Whoever pays as much as QAR 450 AM access clearly deserves entrance. It's not like they are taking a financial shortcut. I think it would be better value to save towards a C upgrade and getting AM access in the process.
toz100 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: QR Silver, TK Elite+, Accor Gold, Mariott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond and IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by endet
I doubt that many people are going to buy access into it. If you have a normal layover ( less then 3 hours) you can get some decent food in the normal restaurants for much less.
People might be looking into this if the layover goes somewhat over 4 hours.
But even then the can avail of the free tour and not sit in a lounge.
Paid access to lounges has been offered at many airports regardless of airlines.

Also, I might be the exception but when I am flying in C I fly for the comfort of the seat in regards to width, seat pitch, and cushion. I can do without lounge access and Schlampus. For me the beer in Y does serve well.
Few years ago I was at ZRH with my family and we where connecting to London with Swiss in Economy. It was 3 hours connections so I tought is pointless to buy lounge for 35€ per person. But in this 3 hours each of us had a coffee, glass of water and pastry. We paid 40€ for 3 person which is a bit over 10€ per person.

Last week I was at ZRH again and I went for sushi in departure hall just before security check-point and I paid for small platter and a cup of tea about 37.50€.

If lounge is offering real food and your connection is about 4 or more hours is worth to buyit. But many small airport lounges, United Clubs and Lufthansa Lounges are not worthit.

I would pay to acess Turkish Business Lounge in Istanbul or Qatar Business Lounge in Doha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.