Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Select Dining

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Been a while since I've flown with QR and also never paid attention to pre-select dining.

Question I have is are the options a subset of the actual menu onboard? Or are there pre-select options that aren't offered as a choice on board, like SQ BTC.

​​​​​​Are there typically additional options onboard that aren't available for pre-select?
The choices are all the main courses of the main meal of the flight. They don't include things like appetizers, breakfast items, etc.
Old May 16, 2024, 11:49 am

Programs: AA
Which meal to pick?

Any advice which meal to pick from ORD to Doha in business? Thanks! Daniel
Old May 16, 2024, 12:11 pm

Get the forbidden rice, it sounds forbidden
nilsfr69 likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 9:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If it were me, the sea bass.
danielswiss likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Duck. It's a bit different. IMO fish on a plane is risky--it can be dry or mushy.
Old May 17, 2024, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by danielswiss
Any advice which meal to pick from ORD to Doha in business? Thanks! Daniel
Well, Daniel, I would imagine that that depends on what you like. If you don't care for lamb, that's probably a suboptimal choice. If you're lactose intolerant, perhaps the ricotta stuffed courgette with cream sauce would be best to avoid. If duck is your favorite food, go for the duck.
danielswiss likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, Daniel, I would imagine that that depends on what you like. If you don't care for lamb, that's probably a suboptimal choice. If you're lactose intolerant, perhaps the ricotta stuffed courgette with cream sauce would be best to avoid. If duck is your favorite food, go for the duck.
I think I asked because I wonder what has the most likely chance to turn out well on a plane. Will the duck or lamb be dry?
Old May 17, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
In fairness they usually do both lamb and duck quite well. Their sea bass is always good.
danielswiss likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by danielswiss
I think I asked because I wonder what has the most likely chance to turn out well on a plane. Will the duck or lamb be dry?
Never had the duck. I've had the lamb a number of times, and it's been great on some flights, tough and overcooked on others.
danielswiss likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 11:35 am

And now the Doha to Singapore choices.

I am considering the Qatari chicken.
Old May 17, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Old May 17, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
The only food that US kitchens do well on QR consistently imho is Indian, so Id go with the Rogan Josh. As for your 2nd flight, the 5 spice beef short ribs seem to get many accolades.
Old May 17, 2024, 11:45 pm

If you ask 100 different people you'll probably get 100 different opinions, all valid but with no way of knowing whether any of them actually represent your palate and preferences.

I would agree that curries are often one of the more consistent choices on many airlines. But then in my experience of QR catering I don't think their lamb dishes fly very well so I always avoid them now. Plenty will disagree with me on that of course, which is fine. 100 different opinions.

If nothing is jumping out at you then I would suggest you leave choosing until you are on board. You may have a yearning for one of these on the day. And there will also be plenty of starters, light bites, a cheese plate, desserts and an extensive breakfast selection that may be much more appealing. I took a few flights to and from the US last year and don't think I had a main course on any of them, yet ate very well.

Light bites is often a misnomer by the way, those dishes can be quite substantial.

I find it difficult to predict what I'm going fancy eating tonight, let alone in a week or two, so don't bother with preselect any more, nice idea though it is. There's always plenty to eat on board and for me discovering the menu and deciding what I fancy right then is part of the experience, as in any restaurant. Some people appear to get a bit panicky about choices running out but in my experience that is not a consistent problem. And whatever way you go, if it turns out you made the wrong choice, either on the day or in advance, just ask for something else

There is also a lengthy J menus thread in this forum with photos and reviews of many of these dishes which may provide more guidance, albeit best tempered by the 100 different opinions...
danielswiss likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by nilsfr69
what does it mean by Premium passengers?
Old May 18, 2024, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by kayzng
what does it mean by Premium passengers?
First or Business class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.