Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: obduro
Summary
Qatar Airways have agreed to take four A350-900 aircraft on a dry lease basis from LATAM. The new aircraft will be re-registered to Qatar Airways. These aircraft are referred as "QATAM" due to the hybrid nature of the product (LATAM hard product, Qatar Airways service)

This thread will continue to be updated as further information emerges, and this wikipost will hopefully answer some Frequently Asked Questions.

A trip report from one of the first QATAM-operated flights can be found here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1828024-munich-doha-qatam-jj-frame-qr-service-a350-j.html#post28008887

Rotation 1 – QR59 DOH – MUC and QR60 MUC - DOH
  • The first A359 to be transferred (PR-XTG) has been re-registered as A7-AMA and has been taken on a 1 year lease
  • The aircraft operates QR59 DOH – MUC and QR60 MUC – DOH, replacing the current QR A359 from March until an unspecified date in the future
  • A7-AMA entered revenue service on Wednesday 1 March 2017, operating QR59. Full entry to service took place on March 6th

Rotation 2 – QR57 DOH – MUC and QR58 MUC - DOH
  • The second aircraft (PR-XTF) will be re-registered as A7-AMB and has been taken on a six month lease
  • The aircraft will will fly the second MUC rotation (QR57 DOH – MUC and QR58 MUC – DOH), replacing the QR A359 from April 6th until an unspecified date in the future

Rotation 3 – QR149 DOH – MAD and QR150 MAD – DOH
  • The third aircraft (unspecified) will be re-registered at A7-AMC. The lease duration is unclear at this time
  • The aircraft is currently scheduled to start on the QR149 DOH – MAD and QR150 MAD – DOH rotations from Saturday 15th April, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 1st so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Rotation 4 – QR151 DOH – MAD and QR152 MAD - DOH
  • The fourth unspecified aircraft will be re-registered as A7-AMD and the lease duration is also unclear
  • The aircraft is scheduled to operate as QR151 DOH – MAD and QR152 MAD – DOH from May 1st, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 15th so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Seating advice - Business Class
  • The QATAM A359’s “Premium Business” cabin has 30 seats in a 2-2-2 layout (compared with QR’s 36 seat A350 J cabin). There is no second business class cabin behind door 2 like on the QR aircraft
  • The 2-2-2 configuration therefore means that not all seats have direct aisle access, which may be an annoyance to single travellers who wish to occupy a window seat
  • Both toilets are located at the front of the cabin, whereas they are located behind row 6 on the QR A369. This may be of annoyance to passengers in row 1 on the QATAM A359
  • The galley is also located ahead of row 1 and therefore may generate additional noise for those seated there
  • Unlike on the QR A359, row 1 seats are not blocked until check-in and are available to reserve for passengers immediately when the aircraft is assigned
  • AC power ports and USB ports are located at every seat
  • The window seats in row 5 have one less window than the other seats in the cabin
  • Window seat pairs in Rows 1 and 2 are not recommended as due to the curvature of the cabin they have less space than other equivalent seats further back in the aircraft
  • There is no onboard bar facility on the QATAM A359

Seating advice - Economy Class
  • The QATAM A359’s economy cabin has 318 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with 31” of seat pitch and 18” width. This is comparable with QR’s A359 seat dimensions, but the cabin is much smaller, holding 247 passengers
  • There are five (yes, five) toilets located in the middle of the aircraft, between rows 33/34 and 35/36. This may be of annoyance to passengers in the area, and given the location next to door 3 people may congregate in the area between these rows
  • A sixth toilet is located behind seats 50ABC and directly to the left of 51D. This may again be of annoyance
  • The galley is located to the rear of the aircraft
  • AC power ports are located between the seats and therefore two power outlets are divided between each set of three seats. USB ports are located at each seat at the bottom of the seat back IFE monitor
  • The QATAM aircraft appears to have kept LATAM Economy+ seating that features extra leg room, at least in the short term, but it is not possible to select these seats. They are located in Row 15 (not included on the seatmap for QATAM operated flights) and both Rows 35 and 36 (blocked for selection on the seatmap)

A detailed seat map for the aircraft can be found at this link - https://www.latam.com/pt_br/conheca-nos/sobre-nos/nossa-frota/A350/
Print Wikipost

QR leasing LATAM A350s

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:57 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by obduro
Reviews are quite limited of the LATAM A350 (wasn't sure if the TAM A350 seat is the same, seems it is) but they seem positive generally.
The TAM A350s were delivered circa 13 months ago (I was fortunate enough to see their first delivery touching down in Brazil).

LATAM, formed from the merger of LAN and TAM, simply re-liveried their various airframes - so the seats will be the same as the TAM A350's (and there are reviews online).

M
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The TAM A350s were delivered circa 13 months ago (I was fortunate enough to see their first delivery touching down in Brazil).

LATAM, formed from the merger of LAN and TAM, simply re-liveried their various airframes - so the seats will be the same as the TAM A350's (and there are reviews online).

M
Fantastic, thanks for that. Feedback has been good on the A350 seat - not a fan of the 787 product so much...
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Routes Online has now run the story in full.

Qatar Airways from 01MAR17 is adjusting Airbus A350 operations on Doha – Munich route, currently served by Qatar Airways. From this date, 1 of 2 daily service QR059/060 will be operated by LATAM Airlines Brasil’s aircraft. From 01APR17, QR057/058 will also switch to LATAM aircraft.

QR059 DOH0125 – 0630MUC 359 D
QR057 DOH0720 – 1225MUC 359 D

QR060 MUC1015 – 1650DOH 359 D
QR058 MUC1705 – 2340DOH 359 D

LATAM Airlines Brasil’s A350 configuration is J30Y309.
Qatar Airways in last week’s schedule update adjusted planned Airbus A350-900XWB service on Doha – Madrid route. Previously mentioned via twitter, the airline’s planned A350 service will now begin on 01APR17, instead of 25MAR17 (reflected in the system earlier this month).

Last week’s update sees the oneWorld member leasing LATAM Airlines Brasil’s A350 aircraft, which will enter service on this route once a day from 15APR17 (QR149/150). From 01MAY17, all 2 daily service will be served by LATAM A350.

QR147 DOH0120 – 0755MAD 359 357
QR149 DOH0720 – 1355MAD 359 D
QR151 DOH1425 – 2100MAD 359 x357

QR148 MAD0930 – 1700DOH 359 357
QR150 MAD1720 – 0100+1DOH 359 D
QR152 MAD2230 – 0600+1DOH 359 x257

This aircraft changes will give Qatar additional capacity for Madrid route, as LATAM Airlines Brasil’s A350 configuration is J30Y309, compared to Qatar’s J36Y247.

Last edited by obduro; Feb 20, 2017 at 5:23 am
Old Feb 20, 2017, 5:18 am

I think one may have less storage space. But if you are a sidesleeper, it may be better for you. I always find the space abit restricting for me when I sleep by my side, the table.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
So that sets irishguy28's point aside...
No it doesn't.

There are more QR A350s currently in various stages of assembly or awaiting cabin fitout than have so far been delivered.

The delays were largely caused by problems in the fitout, not in assembly/testing.

Reuters: Undelivered Airbus jets jam parking spaces, hurt cash flow
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
That answers my thought as to why LATAM would be leasing out their newest aircraft.
Don't forget that QR is now a LATAM shareholder, too!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by tboons
I think one may have less storage space. But if you are a sidesleeper, it may be better for you. I always find the space abit restricting for me when I sleep by my side, the table.
Hey guys,

The C seats on the JJ A350 are indeed 2-2-2. But they are the better kind, in my opinion. They are way larger than the LA788 and LA789 since the cabin is wider.
The seats feels larger and there is a ottoman in front of the seat.

I'm 1.80 meters high and I could sleep without bending my knees, which is rare in pretty much every C class seat.

There are luggage compartments in the middle of the plane. I think QR A350 don't have these ones, am I right?

Another thing to notice is that JJ A350 are not equipped with the air humidifier. Some may feel the difference. Some may not.

I did some GRU-MAD leg with them and I have not noticed the difference.

There is a JJ A350 review here: http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/...-tam-airlines/
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by geoshina
The C seats on the JJ A350 are indeed 2-2-2. But they are the better kind, in my opinion. They are way larger than the LA788 and LA789 since the cabin is wider.
Qatar passengers should be no strangers to 2-2-2 layouts in J!

However, the QR A350 has a 1-2-1 layout with aisle access from every seat - so the majority of people would consider any form of 2-2-2 layout to be inferior for that reason alone - the window seats don't have direct aisle access.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:49 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
JJ currently still has spare capacity and is willing to help out QR (at a cost of course). The aircraft need a QR-ish looking livery and Qatar tail number to operate the route(s) under the bilateral agreements with Spain & Germany. (only ad-hoc charters don't need to be reflagged) The aircraft are wet leased with crew from JJ and what obduro posted above in #7 holds.

I'm pretty sure Al-B is making Airbus & Zodiac pay dearly for this arrangement caused by the delay in A359 deliveries.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:39 am

Interesting it's been reported elsewhere that the A359s would be wet-leased, but differences between the Brazilian and Qatari aircrew regulations killed that idea early on. Seems the 'crew' will solely be flight crew and gives more weight to QR's (admittedly fumbled) assertion over the weekend that it will be QR service on board.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Qatar passengers should be no strangers to 2-2-2 layouts in J!

However, the QR A350 has a 1-2-1 layout with aisle access from every seat - so the majority of people would consider any form of 2-2-2 layout to be inferior for that reason alone - the window seats don't have direct aisle access.
I think that's the main thing that bothered me slightly in all of this. I am travelling with my wife and now have to sit next to her for 6 hours

But in seriousness I never pick a flight for the frame, but when the aircraft changed in MMB everyone in a window seat kept it, but now has an extra seat next to them. So people who haven't checked (given there was no notification) may only find they now have a buddy for their flight when they board, which I know would cheese me off a bit...
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:13 pm

when the aircraft changed in MMB everyone in a window seat kept it, but now has an extra seat next to them. So people who haven't checked (given there was no notification) may only find they now have a buddy for their flight when they board, which I know would cheese me off a bit...
Not for us...four of us in row 2 now moved to centre pair row 1 and 2 aisle seats, one behind the other...

annoying, when we were first to pick seats...

yeah, yeah i know...before mods start, i get this happens on QR
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rakehey
...yeah, yeah i know...before mods start, i get this happens on qr
😎😎😎😎😎
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by rakehey
Not for us...four of us in row 2 now moved to centre pair row 1 and 2 aisle seats, one behind the other...

annoying, when we were first to pick seats...

yeah, yeah i know...before mods start, i get this happens on QR
Our seats were both window seats (rows 2 and 3), I think they just left us where we were. Seems they tampered with yours a lot more!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:10 am

PR-XTG few from GIG - DOH last night under callsign JJ9960 to be re-registered as A7-AMA and undergo further work prior to entering QR service on March 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.