Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: obduro
Summary
Qatar Airways have agreed to take four A350-900 aircraft on a dry lease basis from LATAM. The new aircraft will be re-registered to Qatar Airways. These aircraft are referred as "QATAM" due to the hybrid nature of the product (LATAM hard product, Qatar Airways service)

This thread will continue to be updated as further information emerges, and this wikipost will hopefully answer some Frequently Asked Questions.

A trip report from one of the first QATAM-operated flights can be found here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1828024-munich-doha-qatam-jj-frame-qr-service-a350-j.html#post28008887

Rotation 1 QR59 DOH MUC and QR60 MUC - DOH
  • The first A359 to be transferred (PR-XTG) has been re-registered as A7-AMA and has been taken on a 1 year lease
  • The aircraft operates QR59 DOH MUC and QR60 MUC DOH, replacing the current QR A359 from March until an unspecified date in the future
  • A7-AMA entered revenue service on Wednesday 1 March 2017, operating QR59. Full entry to service took place on March 6th

Rotation 2 QR57 DOH MUC and QR58 MUC - DOH
  • The second aircraft (PR-XTF) will be re-registered as A7-AMB and has been taken on a six month lease
  • The aircraft will will fly the second MUC rotation (QR57 DOH MUC and QR58 MUC DOH), replacing the QR A359 from April 6th until an unspecified date in the future

Rotation 3 QR149 DOH MAD and QR150 MAD DOH
  • The third aircraft (unspecified) will be re-registered at A7-AMC. The lease duration is unclear at this time
  • The aircraft is currently scheduled to start on the QR149 DOH MAD and QR150 MAD DOH rotations from Saturday 15th April, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 1st so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Rotation 4 QR151 DOH MAD and QR152 MAD - DOH
  • The fourth unspecified aircraft will be re-registered as A7-AMD and the lease duration is also unclear
  • The aircraft is scheduled to operate as QR151 DOH MAD and QR152 MAD DOH from May 1st, replacing the current QR B788
  • Entry to service has been delayed from April 15th so further equipment swaps are likely. Details are still emerging about this operation and this thread will be updated as more information becomes available

Seating advice - Business Class
  • The QATAM A359s Premium Business cabin has 30 seats in a 2-2-2 layout (compared with QRs 36 seat A350 J cabin). There is no second business class cabin behind door 2 like on the QR aircraft
  • The 2-2-2 configuration therefore means that not all seats have direct aisle access, which may be an annoyance to single travellers who wish to occupy a window seat
  • Both toilets are located at the front of the cabin, whereas they are located behind row 6 on the QR A369. This may be of annoyance to passengers in row 1 on the QATAM A359
  • The galley is also located ahead of row 1 and therefore may generate additional noise for those seated there
  • Unlike on the QR A359, row 1 seats are not blocked until check-in and are available to reserve for passengers immediately when the aircraft is assigned
  • AC power ports and USB ports are located at every seat
  • The window seats in row 5 have one less window than the other seats in the cabin
  • Window seat pairs in Rows 1 and 2 are not recommended as due to the curvature of the cabin they have less space than other equivalent seats further back in the aircraft
  • There is no onboard bar facility on the QATAM A359

Seating advice - Economy Class
  • The QATAM A359s economy cabin has 318 seats in a 3-3-3 configuration, with 31 of seat pitch and 18 width. This is comparable with QRs A359 seat dimensions, but the cabin is much smaller, holding 247 passengers
  • There are five (yes, five) toilets located in the middle of the aircraft, between rows 33/34 and 35/36. This may be of annoyance to passengers in the area, and given the location next to door 3 people may congregate in the area between these rows
  • A sixth toilet is located behind seats 50ABC and directly to the left of 51D. This may again be of annoyance
  • The galley is located to the rear of the aircraft
  • AC power ports are located between the seats and therefore two power outlets are divided between each set of three seats. USB ports are located at each seat at the bottom of the seat back IFE monitor
  • The QATAM aircraft appears to have kept LATAM Economy+ seating that features extra leg room, at least in the short term, but it is not possible to select these seats. They are located in Row 15 (not included on the seatmap for QATAM operated flights) and both Rows 35 and 36 (blocked for selection on the seatmap)

A detailed seat map for the aircraft can be found at this link - https://www.latam.com/pt_br/conheca-nos/sobre-nos/nossa-frota/A350/
Print Wikipost

QR leasing LATAM A350s

Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:37 am
Original Poster

QR leasing LATAM A350s

Have just discovered that the MUC morning flight in the end of October will be operated by LATAM A350 with the 2-2-2 business class config (see pictures from GDS attached). Anybody knows if that will be permanent or just to cover some maintenance?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
QR LATAM A350.pdf (36.0 KB, 1240 views)

Last edited by Donegal; Feb 16, 2017 at 11:15 am
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Also already in March they use LATAM planes on the A350 route to MUC.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Haven't seen anything on this previously so would be good to hear if anyone knows why...

EF is indeed showing QR60 on 1st March as 359 QR OPERATED BY LATAM AIRLINES BRASIL
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Bloody hell! Seems most flights in early march are now on the LATAM A359...even my flight on 7th is now on LATAM apparently! Had no notification from QR or MyFlights so worth checking your booking to see if you are affected.

Worth noting my flight later in March (18th) is still on the QR bird. Odd!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by obduro
Haven't seen anything on this previously so would be good to hear if anyone knows why...
You really can't hazard a guess????

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...efinitely.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ice-delay.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...50-flight.html

Airbus's A350 delivery schedule flushed down the toilet
Qatar Airways postpones world's longest non-stop flight due to 'A350 delay'
Airbus A350 delays to interrupt Qatar Airways’ Adelaide service
Qatar Airways cuts flights on nine more routes

They are way behind in their deliveries. If they can get a plane from anywhere - including from another airline who may have received a working A350 rather than one of their own direct from Airbus - they will take it.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You really can't hazard a guess????

They are way behind in their deliveries. If they can get a plane from anywhere - including from another airline who may have received a working A350 rather than one of their own direct from Airbus - they will take it.
Thanks for taking the time to hunt down those links, not sure they answered the question though

Last edited by obduro; Feb 17, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:31 am

It seems there were some noises about QR leasing four A359s from LATAM some time ago. There is now movement on it as we can see, so the facts as they stand are:
  • LATAM will lease four of its seven A359s to QR from March
  • The new aircraft will be re-registered to QR
  • The first A359 to be transferred (PR-XTG) will take the A7-AMA registration and will start flying QR59 and QR60 on the MUC – DOH route from March 1st
  • The next (PR-XTF) will be re-registered as A7-AMB and will fly QR57 and QR58 again on the MUC – DOH route from April 1st
  • Thirdly A7-AMC will start operations as QR149 and QR150 on the MAD – DOH route from April 1st
  • Finally A7-AMD will start to operate QR151 and QR152 on the MAD – DOH route from April 15th
  • The first A350 will position to DOH shortly (it is currently at TAP M&E) where it will take up a one year dry lease with crew that will be rotated every three months
  • The second A350 is a six month lease
  • No information on lease duration for the third and fourth A359s
  • LATAM's A359s are fitted with Premium Economy seats that will be converted into regular economy seats before entering service

http://www.aeroin.net/quatro-a350-da...assados-qatar/

Supplementary information for those flying:
  • LATAM A359 J is fully flat 2-2-2 configuration which will replace the rostered 1-2-1 reverse herringbone seats (30 pax cabin vs 36 on QR)
  • Y class is 3-3-3 configuration, same as QR

Last edited by obduro; Feb 17, 2017 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Qatar PC,Iberia
One question: cabin crew will be from QR or from LATAM?
We'll fly Mad-Doha-NRT Next September with a Friend couple (first flight for them in J ) and I choose QR for the outstanding onboard service.
..What a disaster.....
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:13 am

14 QR A359 frames currently in TLS according to this web page
https://sites.google.com/site/a350xw...roduction-list
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Calum
14 QR A359 frames currently in TLS according to this web page
https://sites.google.com/site/a350xw...roduction-list
So that sets irishguy28's point aside...

I've seen it suggested on a couple of other forums that the frames are ( could be ) being held back to be fitted with the new J seat before going into service.

The other alternative is that the new J seat has already been fitted, and they don't want to put them out there until the announcement.

The other other alternative is that none of the above are true.

Last edited by obduro; Feb 17, 2017 at 11:43 am
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ptalegui
One question: cabin crew will be from QR or from LATAM?
We'll fly Mad-Doha-NRT Next September with a Friend couple (first flight for them in J ) and I choose QR for the outstanding onboard service.
..What a disaster.....
This appears to be a dry lease (where an aircraft is provided as a frame without crew, ground staff, fuel etc.). This is indicated by the change of aircraft registration to QR's A7 range, which doesn't usually happen with wet leases. This would mean that under normal circumstances, you could expect QR cabin crew and service on the LATAM frame, so the only difference would be the seat, IFE etc.

The complicating factor is the linked article. There are leases that happen that fall between the standard wet and dry scenarios, and the article says according to their "sources" there is an agreement that "crew" will be provided with the first aircraft. This could solely refer to flight crew, or cabin crew...or both. It's unclear at this stage. There is a lot of conflicting information on the nuances, for example QR and MyFlights say my flight is still "Operated by QR" but ExpertFlyer says it is operated by LATAM.

Given I'll be on one of the first MUC flights I intended to phone QR about this today and clarify, but haven't had the time. Will call and report back if someone hasn't done it by the time I get the chance.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: Qatar PC,Iberia
Originally Posted by obduro
This appears to be a dry lease (where an aircraft is provided as a frame without crew, ground staff, fuel etc.). This is indicated by the change of aircraft registration to QR's A7 range, which doesn't usually happen with wet leases. This would mean that under normal circumstances, you could expect QR cabin crew and service on the LATAM frame, so the only difference would be the seat, IFE etc.

The complicating factor is the linked article. There are leases that happen that fall between the standard wet and dry scenarios, and the article says according to their "sources" there is an agreement that "crew" will be provided with the first aircraft. This could solely refer to flight crew, or cabin crew...or both. It's unclear at this stage. There is a lot of conflicting information on the nuances, for example QR and MyFlights say my flight is still "Operated by QR" but ExpertFlyer says it is operated by LATAM.

Given I'll be on one of the first MUC flights I intended to phone QR about this today and clarify, but haven't had the time. Will call and report back if someone hasn't done it by the time I get the chance.
Ok..Thank you...we keep in touch
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just checked seat map for my DOH to MUN flight on 16 April and now showing the 2 2 2 configuration. No notification on myflights. I'd better check out the LATAM seat reviews. Was looking forward to trying the QR seats on the 350
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:22 am

Same for me...couldn't even manage to give us a pair of seats...
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:40 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I haven't said it for a while, but I apologise to those who know what's coming.

The first rule of flying with QR - PICK THE TIMINGS AND PRICE YOU WANT, OVER THE AIRCRAFT TYPE.

As has been pointed out in the thread, the A350 has been heavily delayed in its deliveries to all airlines (not just QR).

As such, the swaps on A350 routes have been regular.

Before the question is posed, please note that QR will not refund or exchange your ticket, purely because the aircraft layout has changed - nor would they if the airframe changed (with the exception of A380 routes in F).

M

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.