FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   The Q Suite Master Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1821753-q-suite-master-thread.html)

msm2000uk Jan 5, 2017 6:19 am

The Q Suite Master Thread

We all know a new J seat is coming in March, so please keep all discussion within this thread.

The latest information can be found here - https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...d-concourse-f/

M

Morgo Jan 5, 2017 7:38 am

I guess no chance of it being in the AKL serving 777s before Easter?! :)

jah718 Jan 5, 2017 7:48 am

Out of curiosity, why do they not just stick with the current 787/350 (very good) reverse herringbone into the 777? I can't help but feel that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. IMO it will be hard to come up with a better design than the current 350 seat.

Has there been any clues as to the layout at all? I would imagine the only seat that comes close to being an improvement is the JL J seat, I believe Oman Air have it as well. Or are we talking about a completely new design?

On another note, I will miss the 777 J seat, some of my best plane sleeps have come on those seats, and they are second to none when you have nobody beside you.

DreamTrip Jan 5, 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by jah718 (Post 27708627)

On another note, I will miss the 777 J seat, some of my best plane sleeps have come on those seats, and they are second to none when you have nobody beside you.

+1 Have also had the best sleep on the 777.

remdk Jan 5, 2017 8:21 am

Morgo absolutely no chance!
AKL is scheduled to have the B777-200LR.
ITB, where the seat is to be launched first opens 8 March.
It will take some time to deliver and then the B777-300s will be retrofitted at the rate of 2-3 per month. There are 34 of them. Then other aircraft types will be considered and retro filtted after an, as yet, unknown plan.
It is thought that all widebodied aircraft that are delivered to QR after 8th. March will have the new seats. Unfortunately no B777-200s are on order at the moment.
I can understand that you cannot find this information on the forum because it is spread across at least TEN different threads with names such as "A350 vs. 77L - worth going out of my way for?" and "Super Business seat"!

Shareholder Jan 5, 2017 8:30 am

QR appears to be rolling out Al Baker's new improved J bit by bit. As for new seats, seems only a few ways to go:

1. Reverse herringbone 1-2-1 adopted by AA, CX, AC, BR and a number of other 777 operators, though this has width limitations with the A330 cabin where it becomes 1-1-1, thus reducing capacity considerably. This would be consistent with the 787 and A350 product.
2. Staggered "cabins" like LX and AC with a 1-2-1/2-1-2 configuration, again not sure how it would work on the A330. AA uses a variant of this but in all 1-2-1 (though pseudo 2-2-2 as it offers all aisle access).
3. Compact "cabins" like UA has just introduced and BA is adopting, and IIRC NH, OZ and JL have been flying, and is a high-density compromise with 2-4-2 but all-aisle access (pseudo 1-2-1)
4. Wide bench ala SQ in 1-2-1 on the 777, would fit the A330 with slightly less width than SQ's version.

The options for the 777 fleet are considerable, but the A330 has limitations (as the 767 had throughout its career when most carriers squeezed 2-2-2 premium seating while others adopted 2-1-2/1-2-2/2-2-1 variants) due to a narrower cabin.

Suppose we can all speculate. Though what might make a useful discussion while we await "the decision of the judges" is people posting their preferred and practical option based on flying other types of new-gen J seats on other carriers and bearing in mind the A330 limitations.

Morgo Jan 5, 2017 8:40 am

Originally Posted by remdk (Post 27708793)
I can understand that you cannot find this information on the forum because it is spread across at least TEN different threads with names such as "A350 vs. 77L - worth going out of my way for?" and "Super Business seat"!

:p

You're very helpfully moving relevant information into this thread as insinuated in the first post

:D

msm2000uk Jan 5, 2017 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Morgo (Post 27708903)
:p

You're very helpfully moving relevant information into this thread as insinuated in the first post

:D

Seconded...send Zol and I the threads, and we'll merge them.

M

Dan1113 Jan 5, 2017 10:40 am

The new seat is going into the A350 too - a brand new plane? I am assuming just the new A350s as they get delivered, not the current ones being replaced?

sxc Jan 5, 2017 7:08 pm

Yes I'm confused why they would be replacing the A350 seats. Maybe it's just an evolution? Or is it the CEO hyperbolising again?

mr_botak Jan 6, 2017 12:02 am

Perhaps the new frames will get the new seat?

tropikey Jan 9, 2017 2:09 am

Originally Posted by remdk (Post 27708793)
Morgo absolutely no chance!
AKL is scheduled to have the B777-200LR.
ITB, where the seat is to be launched first opens 8 March.
It will take some time to deliver and then the B777-300s will be retrofitted at the rate of 2-3 per month. There are 34 of them. Then other aircraft types will be considered and retro filtted after an, as yet, unknown plan.
It is thought that all widebodied aircraft that are delivered to QR after 8th. March will have the new seats. Unfortunately no B777-200s are on order at the moment.

Do I understand correctly, that it's rather not possible to experience new J hard product on route to AKL in 2017?
As for now, which type of seat do they have on B777 operating to AKL? Is it like in this http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ess-class-777/ review?

remdk Jan 9, 2017 3:15 am

tropikey yes that is the B/E MiniPod seat that is currently installed on all B777s.
No one can give you a time for when the new seats will appear on the AKL route. The 34 773s are scheduled to take 12-17 months to retrofit with a possible start date in June. After that the most logical aircraft type would be the B772s.
Based on the known information my guess would be that AKL should see the new seats in 18-24 months.

tropikey Jan 9, 2017 3:45 am

thanks a lot for explanation :-) It will help me with decision, when to fly. If I decide to fly before May, I might add 20k additional qmiles (promo regarding flights to AKL). Together with 5x qmiles which are offered today only, it would give me huge amount of qmiles (I haven't found any provision stating that these two offers can't be combined).

I have one more question regarding this matter. What do think about this seat from the perspective of such a long flight (one of the longest, isn't)? Is this comfortable enough to survive such flight?

jacobprince Jan 9, 2017 4:04 am

Originally Posted by tropikey (Post 27729645)
thanks a lot for explanation :-) It will help me with decision, when to fly. If I decide to fly before May, I might add 20k additional qmiles (promo regarding flights to AKL). Together with 5x qmiles which are offered today only, it would give me huge amount of qmiles (I haven't found any provision stating that these two offers can't be combined).

I have one more question regarding this matter. What do think about this seat from the perspective of such a long flight (one of the longest, isn't)? Is this comfortable enough to survive such flight?

Sorry to go off topic, but you should maybe check out this thread before banking on 5x miles:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1813833-qmiles-x2-x3-x6.html