Wiki Posts
Search

Silver to Gold - Worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Silver to Gold - Worth the effort?

Hi,

I am 110 points away from Gold and could probably manage to upgrade in the summer, especially if some good offers come up related to QPoints. However, as the qualifying period is always 12 months, not 13, I am having to book my usual break a little earlier than normal, in order to ensure that I get sufficient points before they expire.

Is it really worth pushing the boat out to get the Gold tier, or am I better settling with Silver. I know this is quite subjective, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something that I am not aware or appreciate the benefits of.

Thanks,
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Personally, when I moved from Silver to Gold I found it to be so much better - Oneworld sapphire gets so much more benefits especially if you fly other oneworld carriers since you get to check in at the business class counter and use their lounges as well.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
For me the Qcredits earned with gold and platinum are a valuable perk . For the 40 Qcredits earned with gold you could upgrade a CDG-BKK o/w ticket from Y to J (non promo fare) or J to F (no restrictions AFAIK)
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If you fly mainly J then probably not - but if you fly mainly Y then I would say yes.

Your Qcredits will mean a free upgrade or two, and you'll get extra bonus Qmiles (75% for Gold vs 25% for Silver). I also value the priority baggage handling and premium class check-in. Plus lounge access across the oneworld network should you fly another airline - and of course the ability to use any oneworld J class lounge instead of being restricted to whichever lounge QR has contracted (particularly useful in eg BKK and HKG).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. On further investigation I can also probably get enough points using BA as well - which I might do because of better timings.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.