Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More schedule changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
My 7hrs layover become an 8h30m one, but I can't have STPC as I am connecting from RKT.
With just a 1h30 change time, could my chances be more or less than 50/60% if asking a free flight change to the day before when there is an earlier flight, or even a same day rerouting via LHR, to avoid the long layover? I ask to the more experienced because if chances are slim I will not even try...

thanks!
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:24 pm

Had a 30 minutes earlier departure change in business R Class, customer service allowed me to change for the next day departure at no fee after a bit of complaining
Old Sep 5, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by remdk
nacho 50 minutes should be plenty of time so do not worry. I suggest that you prepare for the transfer to avoid feeling rushed. If you arrive at a remote stand then you are lucky in two ways.
1. Y passengers usually disembark via the rear exit and
2. The buses deposit you at the foot of the escalator to the security area saving valuable walking time.

Prepare for the transit by obtaining a map of the airport https://www.oneworld.com/airports-de...aps/doha-qatar is probably the most accurate available on the web and just prior to landing the IFE usually shows a list of connecting flight gates. Locate the gate on the map and you have avoided a wild chase finding it! The exits from the transit security are just beside, but separate from, customs/immigration on the map. There are no immigration checks for transit passengers.

Don't expect to go shopping, don't dawdle and above all don't feel rushed.
Thanks a lot! We won't go shopping - how bad is the security? All liquid, belt, laptop, tablet out of the case? Normally we transit at IST and when coming from CPH there won't be security, so we packed those gadgets away and Mr. Nacho doesn't have to take his belt off.

However if we have to be screened again then we will have to pack again for another security check - not my favourite but I guess we'll have to live with it. I guess we have to let the IFE on for the kids so they won't be sleeping when we arrive DOH.

TIA!

Is there any fast track for OW S?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:35 pm

nacho security in DOH is a farce the only item on your list that is subject to scrutiny is your belt. There is a fasttrack area in the middle of the security area which OWSs can use.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:28 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
nacho security in DOH is a farce the only item on your list that is subject to scrutiny is your belt. There is a fasttrack area in the middle of the security area which OWSs can use.
Just for clarity, so is Dubai, Muscat, and Abu Dhabi - I've done all 3 in the past 2 weeks as comparables against QR and DOH!

M
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
OWS can use the fast track too? I previously attempted to use the fast track and was told business class only
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by gorps1
I've spoken with Qatar. If LHR had been within 500 miles of OSL the agent would have been permitted to make the change of departure airport from OSL to LHR, but the distance is around 750 miles so the agent couldn't make the change. We've rebooked on to the next flight to SIN from DOH which means a 7 hour layover in HIA - it could have been worse!

For the future, it's worth considering departing from an airport within 500 miles of LHR (AMS and CDG spring to mind) to give you the possibility of changing to LHR in the event of a significant schedule change.
Surely you need to depart from where you are, and not somewhere that just happens to be within 500 miles of London, in which case you need to get to that place first
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Originally Posted by MHendo84
Evening All,

A friend booked a ex-eu to Mel and has noticed when checking MMB of a schedule change. The return part; MEL-ADL-DOH-MXP now has a connection time of 35min in Adelaide. Checking expert flyer a D to I connection is 1hr30?

Could anyone advise if QR would allow the MEL-ADL bit to be moved to a day or two earlier? Or would that insist an earlier same day flight only?

Thanks,
Matt
I can't answer your question for certain but if the flight MEL/ADL arrives less than 24 hrs before departure of the ADL/DOH then it is not classed as a stopover and most airlines would be prepared to make the change. Any longer in ADL and that is a stopover and probably not permitted for free.

I have a booking including DOH/ADL/SYD returning SYD/ADL/DOH. First, Qantas changed the SYD/ADL flight which reduced the connection time in ADL to a do-able but tight timeframe. Then QR cancelled the DOH/ADL flight and rebooked me on the DOH/ADL the following day, giving me a 27 hr layover in DOH. I called QR reservations and got a very helpful agent (my experience with QR on the phone has usually been more at the incompetent end of the scale). He changed my booking to the direct DOH/SYD flight and had no problem in changing my QF SYD/ADL flight to an earlier one on the same day.

I think a lot depends on the agent you speak to so, as others have said, if you don't get the answer you want first time, keep trying.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Thanks BobBHX for your advice.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by sbams
Surely you need to depart from where you are, and not somewhere that just happens to be within 500 miles of London, in which case you need to get to that place first
I think the point being made, is that quite a few of us based in London, book Ex-EU flights - thus inconveniencing ourselves to begin with.

If we have the option to fly into LHR directly, or even BHX, then it is worth it as it saves the cost and time of the positioning flights.

M
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sbams
Many FlyerTalkers first fly to a distant city before departing on their "real" ticket - because ticket prices from other locations can be far, far cheaper (when talking about premium cabins).

I have had 4 tickets to the US departing from Oslo in the past 12 months, with other re-positioning flights to Italy, Ireland, Norway and Poland coming up in the next few months to take advantage of cheaper fares, too.

You don't always have to fly from your local airport - there are great savings to be had by shopping around @:-)

(I can't remember the last longhaul flight I flew directly from AMS - though my upcoming trip from Ireland will be routing me via AMS on KL for a saving of over half the ticket price that KL charges from AMS )

The 500 miles here refers to Qatar's apparent rebooking policy - they are quite lenient and, in the case of major schedule changes, allow you to move the origin of your ticket (for free) to any point within a certain radius of the original origin. Hence, the desire to first pick an origin close enough to where you really are - because in a case like this, you may be allowed to rebook the ticket to depart from your home airport, at the price of the "far" airport, thereby cutting out the unnecessary positioning before/after the "main" ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gorps1
I've had some flight changes imposed which means I now have a 35 min connection time from my OSL flight arriving to my flight to SIN departing. Is this doable or should I push Qatar to rebook either the OSL or SIN flight?
I was rebooked to a later flight to SIN with a layover at HIA of 7 hours. The flight is next week. I've checked the departure time of the flight FROM DOH to SIN from which I was transferred and this now leaves 50 minutes after the scheduled arrival from OSL so is within MCT of 45 minutes. I'll ring Qatar tomorrow but what are my chances of getting them to transfer me back to my original itinerary at no charge?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Once more a sked change dumps me off a 787 onto a 777 next year. This occurred to all my booked 787 flights this year to/from South Africa too. I far prefer the privacy of J pods on 787s but alas appears I'll never get one again on QR!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:57 am

Shareholder QR have just announced that due to increased demand the B777 will permanently replace the B787 on the CPT route. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...essrelease_cpt for details. Do not fear because the B787 is still to be found on many other QR routes.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Once more a sked change dumps me off a 787 onto a 777 next year. This occurred to all my booked 787 flights this year to/from South Africa too. I far prefer the privacy of J pods on 787s but alas appears I'll never get one again on QR!
So are you flying to CPT or JNB?

To CPT, as remdk just documented, they did that to increase capacity while staying at 1 flight per day.

To JNB, at least in February, there are two flights per day, one is still 787 (the daytime flight southbound, the overnight flight northbound), the other one is 777 (the late night->mid morning flight southbound, the afternoon -> late evening flight northbound).

if you want to fly to CPT on a 787 most of the way, you could pick the 787 flight to JNB and then connect on Comair (or whatever the BA subsidiary is known as this week) to CPT same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.