Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Buy" pass to Al-Safwa with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:20 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Matt4
I don't know the security rules, but it would not be logical that security rules prevent OP to make a short (and perfectly doable) return trip to DXB during his 8h layover in DOH (even if in OP case, it's just a one way flight he doesn't intend to use) and, generaly speaking, as QR OLCI is open 48h before the flight, it would make sense to allow passengers to hold multiple active BP from the same origin (for example for those who commute daily between DOH and DXB).
I've actually done this several times, short trip to Dubai to accrue a few Qpoints I needed (I was once both ways on the same actual plane, to the crew's amusement). You don't even need going through inmigration, just go back through transfers and wait at the lounge.

Point is, I have been at DOH with two BPs for the same day to different destinations, and it wasn't a problem at all.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Gold, LH SEN
Originally Posted by David_DLI
I've actually done this several times, short trip to Dubai to accrue a few Qpoints I needed (I was once both ways on the same actual plane, to the crew's amusement). You don't even need going through inmigration, just go back through transfers and wait at the lounge.

Point is, I have been at DOH with two BPs for the same day to different destinations, and it wasn't a problem at all.
I think many airports allow this as some people travel very short notice or take the kind of flight you describe. Don't see a way to "buy" pass to this lounge without forfeiting avois or a chunk of want as miles.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by David_DLI

Have done the same to BAH, purely to maintain Gold.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA OWE
Wow, are people really "buying" access to Al-Safwa!? If so, how do they do that? QR doesn't have full refundable tickets within Gulf or has that changed?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:47 pm

Development what is being referred to here is booking an F reward flight DOH-DXB and cancelling it in Al Safwa, or even being a No Show for the flight. This is what is referred to as purchasing access to Al Safwa, using Qmiles.

As far as I can see there are a number of difficulties with this.
1. If the DOH-DXB flights were on the same ticket as the remainder of the journey then a No show would automatically cancel further flights.
2. Cancellation or a no show would result in forfieture of the Qmiles used.
3. Cancellation would remove your right to be in Al Safwa with resulting ejection.
4. If cancellation is made more than three hours before departure then the Qmiles may be refunded but unless you are Gold or Platinum then there is a USD100 change fee to be paid.

I am quite sure that some will do this anyway. But when QR see what is happening to avoid the intentions of the lounge access rules then they will most likely overreact and ban all Reward tickets/Upgrades from both Al Safwa and Al Mourjan.

http://www.qatarairways.com/sites/Pr...et%20Fees.page says "Changes or cancellations within 3 hrs or after departure Not allowed. Only Airport and Government taxes to be refunded".
Old Jun 19, 2016, 12:03 am

Development my previous posting may have left you confused. The thread title says Avios and I answered about Qmiles. Most of the principles are the same but there are, of course, several differences.

I do not know the exact details of the agreement regarding OW partners reward tickets but I would imagine that QR would claim full payment from the OW partner for a late cancellation/No show.

I would imagine that this apparent abuse of the Avios system could result in rule changes there so everyone loses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.