Search

"Buy" pass to Al-Safwa with Avios

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB+ Plata / LATAM Pass Black
"Buy" pass to Al-Safwa with Avios

Hello everybody,

I am facing an 8h layover in Doha (HND-DOH-MAD), all in Y. Among all the options to waste the transit time, I have thought on redeeming a "fake" Qatar Airways F DOH-DXB ticket with BA Avios, which would cost 18000 avios + 30€ on taxes, as I have plenty of them totally unused.

Do you think this transaction is worth the avios? Hopefully taxes could be refunded as per BA redeem conditions if ticket is cancelled within the 24h prior to flight departure, but of course not the avios. Another important question is: Would it be any problems for "the system" to see a person with two tickets to different places (MAD and DXB in this case) at the same time? As explained above, the only purpose of this ticket would be to be granted access to Al-Safwa and see this unicorn-land

Other options I have mangaed would be the free Doha tour or buying an Oryx lounge pass (55 USD)...

Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:07 am

You won't get any tax back, since the refund charge will be more than what you paid. So the total spend will be the 18000 Avios + the taxes.

No reason why it shouldn't work, if you receive your boarding pass at the transit desk.

However, it seems like quite a lot of Avios to throw away unless you are dead set on seeing the lounge. I would pick something else, unless this was the only foreseeable opportunity for you to try Safwa. There are a number of things you can do instead, like booking a short slot at the Transit hotel, booking a massage at the Spa, paying to access the swimming pool, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:09 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Why not book a fully flexible QR fare, and then cancel it? In theory you wouldnt lose anything.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:16 am

QR dont have fully flexible F fares within Gulf...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:00 am

Wygun before trying this please consider
1) What happens to your luggage? QR could insist on checking it through to DXB. Or even do it automatically!
2) My understanding of security rules is that no one is permitted to have more than one active BP for any particular airport at any time. You could spend most of your time being interviewed by Security and not get near Al Safwa.!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: IB+ Plata / LATAM Pass Black
Thank you, guys. Yes, maybe this idea is a little bit crazy :P I think I should stick to another plan, but I knew this was the one place for asking such a think like that

I've checked the only airside hotel, and they charge almost 200€ for an 8h stay (insane). So, I think the best idea would be to pay for Al-Maha or Oryx lounge. Any preference for one of them? I would like to take a shower but I can get no info on what are the facilities these lounge have...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Wygun before trying this please consider
1) What happens to your luggage? QR could insist on checking it through to DXB. Or even do it automatically!
He would not check in for the DOH-DXB until he reaches the transit desk of DOH, at which point he will check in as a simple no-bag passenger.

He will already have the DOH-MAD BP issued at HND, and any bags checked through to MAD already.
2) My understanding of security rules is that no one is permitted to have more than one active BP for any particular airport at any time. You could spend most of your time being interviewed by Security and not get near Al Safwa.!
Not sure I've ever seen it as an actual rule. In all likelihood it will be a QR issue, if any.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
I don't know the security rules, but it would not be logical that security rules prevent OP to make a short (and perfectly doable) return trip to DXB during his 8h layover in DOH (even if in OP case, it's just a one way flight he doesn't intend to use) and, generaly speaking, as QR OLCI is open 48h before the flight, it would make sense to allow passengers to hold multiple active BP from the same origin (for example for those who commute daily between DOH and DXB).
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:31 am

Stargold I very much doubt that a second BP would be issued at the transfer desk.
My reason for the statement is: About a year ago my wife and I were travelling to visit relatives but I was called away to deal with an acute situation elsewhere. My wife cancelled the first ticket for me. But unfortunately she cancelled her own reservation not mine. So she used my passport to retrieve her booking(!). Within seconds two security persons were here and demanded to talk to me. We cleared up the problem and my wife caught her flight as I did mine. But I was told that I could not hold two valid boarding passes from an airport. Hence the comment 'My understanding' since other factors could have played a role.
I will not discuss the matter further since I am sure a number of rules and regulations were broken that afternoon and I have no wish to cause those involved any problems. Let¨s get back OT.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Stargold I very much doubt that a second BP would be issued at the transfer desk.
My reason for the statement is: About a year ago my wife and I were travelling to visit relatives but I was called away to deal with an acute situation elsewhere. My wife cancelled the first ticket for me. But unfortunately she cancelled her own reservation not mine. So she used my passport to retrieve her booking(!). Within seconds two security persons were here and demanded to talk to me. We cleared up the problem and my wife caught her flight as I did mine. But I was told that I could not hold two valid boarding passes from an airport. Hence the comment 'My understanding' since other factors could have played a role.
I will not discuss the matter further since I am sure a number of rules and regulations were broken that afternoon and I have no wish to cause those involved any problems. Let¨s get back OT.
Sounds like they were making it up as they went along. It's not at all uncommon to have two outgoing BPs issued for the same day... I've done that many times when doing quick trips where you transit the same airport twice in a day, including QR via DOH to DXB, so for the same date I would have DOH-DXB and DOH-LHR. You are issued all your boarding cards in one go at the origin airport.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wygun
Thank you, guys. Yes, maybe this idea is a little bit crazy :P I think I should stick to another plan, but I knew this was the one place for asking such a think like that

I've checked the only airside hotel, and they charge almost 200€ for an 8h stay (insane). So, I think the best idea would be to pay for Al-Maha or Oryx lounge. Any preference for one of them? I would like to take a shower but I can get no info on what are the facilities these lounge have...
If you have IB+ Gold, you can get into a better lounge than the Oryx lounge by going to the QR Business Class lounge, which is not as good as al-M but has showers and some hot food. For $35 you can go to the gym and pool (including jacuzzi) at the hotel as well, which is nice. For $40 or so, you can get out of the airport with a visa. Or you can take a free city tour, which lets you go outside without paying but you're stuck with a group.

Also why all the talk about a printed BP? Just use a mobile BP. No need to visit any transit desk, saves you from that inconvenience.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
There is nothing to stop the OP buying a separate ticket at all. They will be on different PNRs so there will be no issue with tagging bags through.

Whether this is a good use of Avios is another matter.....
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
There is nothing to stop the OP buying a separate ticket at all. They will be on different PNRs so there will be no issue with tagging bags through.

Whether this is a good use of Avios is another matter.....
There are cheaper ways of doing it, for sure.

For starters, by using an airline which doesn't make you forfeit the miles if cancelling within 24 hours of departure!
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Gold, LH SEN
Originally Posted by stargold
There are cheaper ways of doing it, for sure.

For starters, by using an airline which doesn't make you forfeit the miles if cancelling within 24 hours of departure!
What are some of the ways of doing this that are cheaper?

What airline wouldn't have a fee or forfeiture for cancelling avios/miles ticket?

Curious, thanks Yasmine
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
QF seems to only charge 5000 miles for all cancellations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.