Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR A350 aborts takeoff at JFK [split off from TPG thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR A350 aborts takeoff at JFK [split off from TPG thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:01 am
Suspended

People don't like to be kept in the dark
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TMM1982
People don't like to be kept in the dark
Sure, but that doesn't mean people know better than the pilots or crew what is going on nor that their demands are more important than the responsibilities the crew has to ensuring the safety of everyone.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended

I don't think anyone is contending that passengers could assist the pilots in determining what the next best course of action is. They simply want information as to what happened and what the plan is to fix it. And sooner is better than later. I'm not interested in an explanation 30 minutes after the fact.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yeah, I've still got no problem with that. We're not talking about the guy taking a coffee break in the middle of an incident. They were working the checklists to get things squared away. ATC is going to ask what's going on so as to be ready to handle whatever is happening. Taking a few seconds to get the correct answer rather than panicking and reacting without all the details is just fine by me.
Ah, human error caused the aborted takeoff. That's cool that you have no problem with human error, just hope you're not piloting my upcoming flight
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm not interested in an explanation 30 minutes after the fact.
I believe you have unreasonable expectations in this context.

Providing an explanation to passengers is very, very, very low on the list of priorities.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems the ecam gave a message that turned out to be wrong:

http://www.pprune.org/9213048-post50.html
Old Dec 18, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As a veteran of one aborted take-off and maybe a half dozen go-arounds on landings, I gotta say: Jeez, what a wuss. And what's with all his 'mom' stuff.

Millennials are so freaking weird.
You have that right.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:09 am

I'm not interested in an explanation 30 minutes after the fact.
I'd rather have an explanation 30 minutes after the fact than not be around 30 minutes after the fact since someone was busy explaining rather than doing.

Suggestions of what you as a passenger should do during a potential emergency situation - review the safety instruction card, listen for instructions from the crew and mentally go over the best and backup evacuation routes for yourself. When you finish doing that, do it again and again until either you have to execute the plan or someone tells you its ok.

Suggestions of what you should not do - interfere with the crew going about their duties by demanding more information from them or asking for a refill of champagne before you have to hit the slides. Believe me, the crew have "inform the passengers" as an item on their to-do list in these situations. It's just way down the list behind things like "make sure the passengers are still around to be given the information".
Old Dec 19, 2015, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
That's cool that you have no problem with human error, just hope you're not piloting my upcoming flight
Human factors can never be entirely eliminated as long as there are humans involved anywhere in the chain of activity related to a flight. The best you can do is to control the impact of a human error and create sufficient redundancies that a human error will be caught before it becomes potentially threatening.

By all accounts, this was a textbook case of that. There was a human error coding the nav database, but it was caught by the ECAM and therefore an RTO was executed to control the situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.