Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2023, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The six hour limitation is only for paid access, no?
The six hour limitation relatess to the 'hotel rooms' that are next to the spa, and it is only enforced when they are expecting a significant amount of passengers or have a waiting list.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 2:13 pm

Apols if this is in the wrong place .

I am OWE and connecting via DOH to DXB next week. I am P class from LHR to DOH, but A class from DOH to DXB. Can people help as to whether I'll get access to Al Safwa during the layover? It looks like the LHR - DOH leg is ineligible, but the DOH-DXB leg is. Grateful for any help - all on the same itinerary but booking classes all over the place.
​​
Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
The six hour limitation relatess to the 'hotel rooms' that are next to the spa, and it is only enforced when they are expecting a significant amount of passengers or have a waiting list.
Having managed to snag a DXB-MAN redemption, I now have the pleasure of a 9 hour wait at DOH from around 05:00 until 14:00. My assumption is that this is one of the quieter times at DOH, and I may be able to bag a room for a few hours?

Dilemma - do I stay up all night and head to DXB at 03:00 for the 05:30 flight? Or be good and get my head down at 21:00 for a few hours?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 2:28 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Having managed to snag a DXB-MAN redemption, I now have the pleasure of a 9 hour wait at DOH from around 05:00 until 14:00. My assumption is that this is one of the quieter times at DOH, and I may be able to bag a room for a few hours?

Dilemma - do I stay up all night and head to DXB at 03:00 for the 05:30 flight? Or be good and get my head down at 21:00 for a few hours?
I have had the (dis)pleasure of that arrival time from DXB connecting to BKK 14 hours later (when frequencies were scarce after covid). We had to wait until around 8am to get a room on that day, so had champagne breakfast while waiting, then slept for a good five hours and vacated the room in favour of lunch. But you are right, it was very quiet at that time in general.

We did sleep for a few hours the night before so as to not be completely knackered, and cut it absolutely as fine as possible in terms of arrival at DXB for check-in.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond

Purely speculating but I think you would have to probably wait until around 9 to get a room due to the morning rush.

Originally Posted by Weste
Apols if this is in the wrong place . I am OWE and connecting via DOH to DXB next week. I am P class from LHR to DOH, but A class from DOH to DXB. Can people help as to whether I'll get access to Al Safwa during the layover? It looks like the LHR - DOH leg is ineligible, but the DOH-DXB leg is. Grateful for any help - all on the same itinerary but booking classes all over the place.​​Thanks!
I believe P overrides A in this instance, so no access. But please try and report back with your findings.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Weste
Apols if this is in the wrong place .

I am OWE and connecting via DOH to DXB next week. I am P class from LHR to DOH, but A class from DOH to DXB. Can people help as to whether I'll get access to Al Safwa during the layover? It looks like the LHR - DOH leg is ineligible, but the DOH-DXB leg is. Grateful for any help - all on the same itinerary but booking classes all over the place.
​​
Thanks!
Reports suggest that P-class infects the entire journey, so it seems you might be cold-shouldered by any lounge. If that is the case, then only status with QR or other OneWorld carriers could change you standing: QR-plat would get you in Safwa, while other cards might see you in the Platinum or Gold lounges (both perfectly fine).

Q-logic appears to be that your underlying ticket is business-lite, and you are accommodated in a first-class cabin between Dubai and Doha only because there's no business-class cabin to host you. If that is the case it seems petty, but the airline isn't known for consistency or subtlety ... and it's their game and their rules.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin AU Platinum, United Gold, Hilton Diamond
I'll be flying with QR from Dubai to Doha (First) and then a long-haul route (in R - so no Business Lite). Would I have access to Al Safwa, or Al Mourjan only?
The text at the top of this thread mentions it, and I remember the same that if one arrives from a First class flight and the onward flight does not have First class but Business is booked then one can still access Al Safwa. That worked back in 2020 coming from an A380/longer flight. Thats a while ago. And I think to have also read something about 5hr+ flights?
So I want to confirm if that rule is still valid? Not a big deal if not, but if Al Safwa can be used on the way back in this scenario it'd be very welcome.

(The thread is too long and I have no clue how to search for this, apologies if it was asked before)

Last edited by Hellboy666; Aug 6, 2023 at 8:17 pm
Old Aug 7, 2023, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by fender5787
This is my biggest pet peeve with AS lately. The only charging option for folks without UK style adaptors (which I presume is the majority of folks using the lounge), are the wireless charging tables by the loungers, which don’t charge that fast and is useless if you actually need to use the device while charging it.
The seating in the "hallways" do have "universal" outlets and allow charging, at leat for several EU type plugs. It's really unfortunate that the sleeping rooms have zero USB charging and zero universal sockets.
fender5787 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)

That 05:30 departure is miserable. I tend to stay at Le Meridien Airport (still your hotel of choice?) the night before and leave at 4ish.

As for DOH - you should get a room but you might have to wait an hour or two for the last of the rush to clear. Either breakfast and drinks whilst you wait or book a spa treatment.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Hellboy666
I'll be flying with QR from Dubai to Doha (First) and then a long-haul route (in R - so no Business Lite). Would I have access to Al Safwa, or Al Mourjan only?
The text at the top of this thread mentions it, and I remember the same that if one arrives from a First class flight and the onward flight does not have First class but Business is booked then one can still access Al Safwa. That worked back in 2020 coming from an A380/longer flight. Thats a while ago. And I think to have also read something about 5hr+ flights?
So I want to confirm if that rule is still valid? Not a big deal if not, but if Al Safwa can be used on the way back in this scenario it'd be very welcome.

(The thread is too long and I have no clue how to search for this, apologies if it was asked before)
The wiki currently says you should get access
Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :

and there was a recent post of similar
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
As another point of reference, in February of this year, I've arrived on an "F" ticket (AUH-DOH) at 18:00, departed on a different J ticket the following day at 0930, and been granted access to the Al Safwa lounge both in the evening and the following morning.
hope that helps, and do report back of your success/failure for AS access
Old Aug 7, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin AU Platinum, United Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thank you babyg_wc. I didn't see YYCCL3's post, I struggled with the search. That is encouraging. Will report on success/failure, but that'll still be a couple months as my flights are in March '24.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Hellboy666
Thank you babyg_wc. I didn't see YYCCL3's post, I struggled with the search. That is encouraging. Will report on success/failure, but that'll still be a couple months as my flights are in March '24.
Indeed its a struggle to find the most up to date info.. I'm passing through AUH-DOH-CDG in November (F on the short leg, J on the long one) in both directions so ill report back too. I was actually assuming my AUH-DOH(F)-CDG(J) wouldn't allow AS access but the wiki/reports seem to indicate ill be OK for AS in both directions
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:13 am

Maybe won’t have access?

I am flying through DOH in a couple weeks and coming in on an F ticket AUH-DOH (then J DOH-DFW). I was reasonably certain I’d have access to Al Safwa so I took the longer layover (7 hours), but reading through here, I am now questioning. My inbound and outbound flights from DOH are in Qatar metal, but I purchased my ticket via AA. Does purchasing through another airline exclude me?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by beachy30a
I am flying through DOH in a couple weeks and coming in on an F ticket AUH-DOH (then J DOH-DFW). I was reasonably certain I’d have access to Al Safwa so I took the longer layover (7 hours), but reading through here, I am now questioning. My inbound and outbound flights from DOH are in Qatar metal, but I purchased my ticket via AA. Does purchasing through another airline exclude me?
I think you should have access, even if it’s an AA issued ticket. Since AA doesn’t issue P fare saver tickets, means your incoming flight is a true F flight that hasn’t been affected by the P fare, and I can attest that even AA issued tickets are given access so long as the pax fufill the entry requirements (be on a proper F segment, a QRPC plat, etc).
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by babyg_wc
The wiki currently says you should get access

and there was a recent post of similar

hope that helps, and do report back of your success/failure for AS access
I asked QR since I have a MLE-DOH in F and DOH-CDG in business and they keep on telling me that there is no access in that case, so how do we know if this is still true as there is no written rulel/confirmation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.