Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold
Damaged baggage

I did a quick search for this, but could not find anything - so sorry if this has been raised before...

Do you know what QR policy is with damaged baggage?

My partner was on a rewards flight from MAN to CRK and her departing flight was minutes late and this caused her to miss her connection. My partner is 6 months pregnant and was lucky enough to get put up in a hotel over night which she needed to rest. When she arrived in CRK 24 hours later, she picked up her baggage only to find that someone had smashed the lock off (damaging the zip slider) to try and get into the bag.

She has taken photos of her bag and has travel insurance, but i have asked her to raise a complaint with QR, though i don't know what they do. I know on my last missed connection flight i got 10,000 miles compensation - though never had a bag damaged.

Has anyone raised a complaint about baggage damage before?

Thanks in advance...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cundall
I did a quick search for this, but could not find anything - so sorry if this has been raised before...

Do you know what QR policy is with damaged baggage?

My partner was on a rewards flight from MAN to CRK and her departing flight was minutes late and this caused her to miss her connection. My partner is 6 months pregnant and was lucky enough to get put up in a hotel over night which she needed to rest. When she arrived in CRK 24 hours later, she picked up her baggage only to find that someone had smashed the lock off (damaging the zip slider) to try and get into the bag.

She has taken photos of her bag and has travel insurance, but i have asked her to raise a complaint with QR, though i don't know what they do. I know on my last missed connection flight i got 10,000 miles compensation - though never had a bag damaged.

Has anyone raised a complaint about baggage damage before?

Thanks in advance...
Did your partner report it at the time, to the agent in the baggage pick up hall? They normally give you a form to fill out & register the damage in these cases (no pun intended).

If not, in my previous experience, it's going to be difficult to prove the damage occurred when the bags were in the care of QR.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks impeymac - not that i am aware... it was just the zipper that was damaged i don't think she noticed it..

I will see what they say, at least she has travel insurance if they don't do anything - i guess we live and learn (to complain at the airport).. She only landed today so would still be raising it asap...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
I once managed to find the lock on luggage was damaged before leaving the airport. I reported to the airport agent which was near to luggage belt, (i.e. even before passing custom), only to be told that QR did not cover damage of lock on luggage. I requested a report anyway for use as evidence if I were to claim with my travel insurance. (I did not. It was too much hassle compared with fixing the lock as it was not that expensive.)

However I did not lose anything inside my luggage.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

hiroaki27

It's basically the same.. the lock was gone and the zip slider where the lock should go is cracked and no longer usable...

My other half double locked it (locked it with a padlock) and also locked it in the black plastic lock built into the case... so she can still use the case, but will just get annoyed every time she looks at it - might be less hassle to just buy her a new case
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:28 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by cundall
When she arrived in CRK 24 hours later, she picked up her baggage only to find that someone had smashed the lock off (damaging the zip slider) to try and get into the bag.
If the lock had gone and nothing had been taken, I'd suggest this was accidentally damaged rather than somebody deliberately trying to gain access. The lock probably got caught on something and was ripped off.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd just claim against my insurance for the new case. The insurance company may insist you try QR first though.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: QF Platinum, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Raffles Ambassador
I actually had the exact same thing happen to me a few weeks ago while in the far east (except it wasn't a QR flight.) When I posted about it on FT the consensus was it had probably been busted open at some point in the journey to inspect the bag for contraband.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.