Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on Alcohol during Ramadan

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I did my best to help enforce this thing about travellers not getting access to alchohol on a recent long-ish sector, by making sure that most of the bubly bottle got poured into my glass...

-A
Old May 19, 2015, 1:26 pm
BSS

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by impeymac
When flying long haul the alcohol will continue to flow. It's the lounges (& intra-Gulf flights) that have no alcohol during Ramadan.
Does that apply to the LHR lounge or just Doha?
Old May 19, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BSS
Does that apply to the LHR lounge or just Doha?
Just Doha, though QR may not have control over what's served in lounges in other Gulf airports.
Old May 19, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Is it not possible perhaps to abstain on this one time though, out of respect for your hosts?
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Ummm, he is a customer unless QR are providing all of this for free.
Exactly.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Flew on Qatar at the end of Ramadan. There was plenty of booze in the F lounge and TONS of people drinking. I don't know if they were locals or what their religion was but looked like they might be locals. Nobody was cutting down on food either.

On the plane Muslim passengers were offered boxes of dates and other treats to celebrate. I can't recall the plane situation but I don't remember half the passengers not eating or drinking.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
This is so hypocritical. Alcohol is forbidden in Islam. PERIOD. If QR chooses to serve alcohol despite the overall ban, I don't understand why they will not serve it during Ramadan.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I'm sure I recall last year once you boarded the aircraft alcohol was available and that included intra-Gulf.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by wandering_persian
This is so hypocritical. Alcohol is forbidden in Islam. PERIOD. If QR chooses to serve alcohol despite the overall ban, I don't understand why they will not serve it during Ramadan.
Consistent inconsistency!
Old May 20, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by wandering_persian
Flippant answer: so it's kinda like their STPC policy?

Serious answer headed for OMNI/PR: as much as people are entitled to their beliefs, there is also the aspect of opening up to ideas that may not be native, and that the rules of any regime of belief does have it's limit on what can be imposed on others.

-A
Old May 21, 2015, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
Flippant answer: so it's kinda like their STPC policy?

Serious answer headed for OMNI/PR: as much as people are entitled to their beliefs, there is also the aspect of opening up to ideas that may not be native, and that the rules of any regime of belief does have it's limit on what can be imposed on others.

-A
Who's is opening up though? I would think perhaps the gentleman flying on the flag carrier of a muslim country, connecting to another muslim country (although to a part where alcohol is very OK), perhaps? Don't we try to respect other countries' cultures when we visit?
Old May 21, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Who's is opening up though? I would think perhaps the gentleman flying on the flag carrier of a muslim country, connecting to another muslim country (although to a part where alcohol is very OK), perhaps? Don't we try to respect other countries' cultures when we visit?
Who is we? Do we see Muslim visitors in US say drink Budlight? Or perhaps see women take their head gear off when visiting US? Or we just expect respect going one way only?
Old May 21, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by iztok
Who is we? Do we see Muslim visitors in US say drink Budlight? Or perhaps see women take their head gear off when visiting US? Or we just expect respect going one way only?
Haha, you would be surprised (or maybe not)
Old May 21, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
Judging from my last DOH-BKK I can confirm that I later that week encountered two men from the flight throughly taking part in rites that normally is closely associated with that destination.

On the same flight I also had 4 women on board that would pass as very apropriately dressed for local conservatives in DOH, and by the time the flight had leveled off ex-DOH all 4 were sitting in jeans and in tshirts with two cases of bare shoulders.

Clearly it is possible to indulge in mutual respect.

-A
Old May 26, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: Various
Will be transiting through DOH during Ramadan from elsewhere in the Gulf. Spoke to CS, they seemed to be under the impression that alcohol is available in both the lounges and on the planes. Won't hold my breath, but it does add a certain frisson of the unknown, like a blind date...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
This is a great link explaining Alcohol Availability during Ramadan.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/emirates-eti...n=home-flipper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.