Wiki Posts
Search

Why I chose EY over QR ... at least in Y

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Why I chose EY over QR ... at least in Y

[Note I posted this to the BA forum, but it is about QR so I've posted here too - I don't imagine most people here travel in Y, but I do hope that the management of QR get to hear about this]

I need to fly LON-SIN a lot in the next few months. I'm paying myself so can't fly J on these trips, though I do spend 15k on flights a year (I just can't justify 30k). Mostly this has been with BA and I've received over 4000 tier points in the last couple years (I'm BA Gold).

Looking at the options in terms of time of flights and duration, the Gulf carriers have the best location since the stopover is in the middle and there are two 7-8 hour legs.

If I flew Qatar I would get 140 tier points for the round trip. This would be the obvious choice for maintaining BA Gold except for one major factor:

9 abreast seating in Y on the narrow 787 Nightmare-liner

Instead I've booked with EY:

8 abreast seating in Y on the wider 330.

I've only flown premium economy on a BA 787 but I've looked into the Y cabin and I've never seen a more miserable crowd and that was on a shorter flight LHR-ERW. I just can't imagine suffering through this.

The 787 was designed for 8 abreast in Y so I'm not blaming Boeing. The financial modelers at BA and QR thought that 9 abreast would generate more revenue - not if the planes aren't full..

Oh, they said, "Ryanair packs passengers this densely so we can too." No you can't. Ryanair flies 1-3 hour flights. You are a long haul carrier, and this is one traveler who is willing to forsake 140 tier points so that I don't have to be in physical contact with the stranger next to me for 8 hours.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
This has been raised a few times but it seems to be the way the industry is moving, with AC also opting for higher density Y seating. An additional problem with QR right now is that they are replacing their some LH routes with the 788 so you might book a A330 which is OK and get switched later on.

BTW: Cross posting in against the rules on FT so you should report one of your posts and ask a moderator to delete/merge as appropriate ^
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold

Just back from doing Lon-Sin via Doha

787 biz class was excellent, did try and sit on the econ seat, to be honest was not as bad as I thought. I am 6ft 2 and was reasonable. Thing I did notice, it was empty going out, only around 30-40 people in all econ, biz was more like 70% full
Coming back was not busier but not full.
That would be gamble but if loads are like that, would be okay if you at least had empty middle seat
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Totally understandable - I've whinged many times on here about the 787 Y cabin layout - I find that any more than a couple of hours and it becomes very uncomfortable on a full flight. The silver lining perhaps for you is that SIN has been announced as the next destination for the QR A350 - starting summer 2015 - with a more comfortable Y cabin layout than the 787. In the meantime though, I'll happily join you in boycotting SIN on QR
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:58 pm

EY has 9 abreast on the 787 in Y, same as all but 1 of the 787 operators. Conversely EY has 10-abreast in Y on the 777 on flights that are over 16 hours, while QR has 9-abreast seating on the same aircraft type. I think its only a matter of time when QR will have to switch to 10-abreast on the 777 to remain competitive cost wise.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:24 pm

787 is not that bad 9 across. Flown once on economy and doesn't find it that bad. Still able to sleep hehe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.