Search

Future A380 routes?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Future A380 routes?

Hello QR board, my first post here...

I understand QR has ordered 10 A380s with one delivered and another due shortly which will also go on LHR route.

Has there been any announcement/discussion/rumour on which other routes will get the upgrade to 380. My personal reason for asking is I have DOH-IAD-DOH booked in February and am wo seeing if there's any chance of a 380 aircraft swap.

Thanks in advance .
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Hello QR board, my first post here...

I understand QR has ordered 10 A380s with one delivered and another due shortly which will also go on LHR route.

Has there been any announcement/discussion/rumour on which other routes will get the upgrade to 380. My personal reason for asking is I have DOH-IAD-DOH booked in February and am wo seeing if there's any chance of a 380 aircraft swap.

Thanks in advance .
CDG is supposed to be the next route starting in November. I think this is the only announcement that has been made so far.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks w_p.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I do recall a statement about Sydney, but I can't find it now....
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It was also previously suggested that JFK would be the third route (before the second LHR was announced), but there's been nothing further about JFK in a while now - don't think it's looking too likely for the immediate future.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
It was also previously suggested that JFK would be the third route (before the second LHR was announced), but there's been nothing further about JFK in a while now - don't think it's looking too likely for the immediate future.
I don't think JFK T8 is A380 capable?
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
I don't think JFK T8 is A380 capable?
Yeah, I think that might be the issue…!

Found the thread - here you go: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ation-jfk.html
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Irrelevant gibber, ignore
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I thought I'd come to the BAEC forum by mistake when I saw MCS? and Swanhunter posting in the same thread.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
380 will almost surely operate to BKK.

I would also put it on PVG and CAN, but there might be bi-laterals issues for Ali Al Rais & Co. to sort.

Absent eastern destinations, JFK and perhaps either PHL, IAD or ORD might be worthwhile.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
QR is receiving 4 388s this year I think, and another 3(?) next year

The way I think it will go is this:

First 2 will go to LHR. Third one to CDG. The 4th one probably LHR again.
I'm hoping no.5 and no.6 will be used for JFK.

Just my thoughts, happy to be corrected
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
I do recall a statement about Sydney, but I can't find it now....
Qatar doesn't serve Sydney, and have said several times in the past that until the curfew is lifted, they won't be flying there. To the best of my knowledge, they have made no further statements about it in the last while.

Originally Posted by Traveller.com.au
Qatar does not fly into Sydney and does not intend to until the airport becomes a 24-hour operation, CEO Akbar Al Baker recently told Traveller columnist Clive Dorman.

"We are keen to fly to Sydney. I don't see any reason why it's not a 24-hour airport," he said. "Residents must keep in mind that with today's new technology, planes have [the latest] 'stage four' noise emissions, so as soon as they take off and get to 500 feet, you can hardly hear them.

"All the fuss is being made by greenies, but they still want to travel in planes, yet [they] are restricting the growth of aviation and the economic benefits to the country."
Originally Posted by Australian Business Traveller
"The curfew is a very big factor (of) not operating to Sydney and the operating cost out of Sydney is very high," Al-Baker observed.
An Australian website, TravelDaily, exclusively revealed a year ago that Qatar would start Sydney. But, as you know, that was not true..

Originally Posted by Travel Daily
QATAR Airways will accede to Sydney Airport’s strict night-time curfew and add the NSW capital to its global network, ceo Akbar Al Baker has revealed to TD. The outspoken airline chief exec made the comment yesterday in Doha at the inauguration of Qatar Airways as the oneworld alliance’s 13th member carrier.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 14, 2014 at 4:16 am
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
That Travel Daily is where I must have seen it.

I wish they would add SYD as the time into MEL requires an overnight stay there or if into PER, a 5 hour wait before a transcon with QF where it's slopey J if lucky! (I have never managed to get a QR/VA to price out even though it appears on the QR flight pick list for DOH-SYD).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I am sure that it is only a matter of time before SYD is added...

But I have been keeping my fingers crossed (I've learned NOT to hold my breath!) for that for several years now already!!!

If, and when, they do launch SYD, I wonder if they would start service with an A380....I suspect not. But who knows?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:28 am

Service to SYD is a moot point. The Air Service Agreement between Australia and Qatar only allows QR to serve two of the following (SYD, MEL, BNE, PER). The night curfew makes SYD less attractive so that is why QR is flying MEL and PER, rather than MEL and SYD. However, if QR gets rights to add SYD they do have a proposed schedule and can make a flight work even with the curfew, but the Australian government is being restrictive at giving away traffic rights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.