Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

What is the deal with alcoholic beverages on QR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the deal with alcoholic beverages on QR?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
No one has mentioned this yet...I wonder if the OP's appearance is such that he/she could potentially be Muslim. The FAs might be selectively cautious with such individuals.

I do realize that people of all races practice Islam, but some are more likely than others.

Over the years, a number of well-intentioned waitstaff have made assumptions based on my appearance and warned me about dishes containing pork or beef.
Definitely an important point... However it happened to me too, and I'm probably the palest, European-y looking guy you could think of. Maybe they think I'm too young

However, I just noticed: I do think they were generally more pro-active if I took Champagne as a pre-departure drink.. They would then specifically ask about wine during meal service. They tended not to do that when taking something non-alcoholic.. Maybe they really want the costumer to indicate whether they do drink alcohol or not..

In any way, it would be interesting to hear from FAs or someone else working there if there's any policy about that?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by zehbra
However, I just noticed: I do think they were generally more pro-active if I took Champagne as a pre-departure drink.. They would then specifically ask about wine during meal service. They tended not to do that when taking something non-alcoholic.. Maybe they really want the costumer to indicate whether they do drink alcohol or not..
That sounds reasonable.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
No one has mentioned this yet...I wonder if the OP's appearance is such that he/she could potentially be Muslim. The FAs might be selectively cautious with such individuals.
I have blond hair and blue eyes, so that is definitely not the reason. I am 46, so I can't imagine I look under age either I couldn't see anyone in business being served alcoholic beverages for pre departure drink. I asked for champagne later in the flight and it was of course no problem. But I also had to ask for wine with the meal on all four flights even though I had champagne prior to the meals.
Anyhow, this was just minor issues. Over all I thought QR was great, and I will fly them again, without a doubt.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:18 am

I've not been specifically asked for alcohol as such, but before the flights and during meals I've always been given a reference to the wine menu. Reading your comments here is funny as I don't really drink alcohol
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gordon0808
A couple days ago I had my first flight on QR. I flew from MUC to ICN via DOH. I had two fantastic flights. The seat and service top notch. I did however notice that they never offered any alcoholic drinks unless you specifically asked for it. For the welcome drink I was asked if I wanted orange juice, water or a lemon mint drink. When I asked if could have champagne they said I certainly could, and happily poored me a glass directly from the bottle. When they served dinner they just asked if I wanted still or sparkling water with the meal, they did not ask what wine I would like. When I asked they were more than happy to serve me wine, but they certainly didn't encourage any consumption of alcoholic beverages. I found it somewhat strange as they had excellent wines on offer and it seems they emphasize offering quality wines and liquor. But it was like they'd rather not serve it. Has this anything to do with religion? I have experienced a similar attitude towards alcohol on Malaysia Airlines, which also is a muslim country. It is on offer, but you will have to ask for it.
TK seems to offer mainly just juices as the welcome beverage on my business class flights on them -- lemon mint is what I choose there too. But at meal service they always default to asking what alcoholic beverages, if any, we would like with the meal. QR seems not so different but it does seem more like a "we won't be as presumptive that you drink alcohol unless you tell us first".

MH can use the financial savings from not being so free with the alcohol tap.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Gold , TK Gold, MH Plat, QR Plat
Perhaps it was a new crew member? In my 100+ QR flights I have *always* been offered champagne (brut/rose) as my welcome drink, amongst other items (incl. non-alcoholic items). Even during my 2am departures.

On Malaysia Airlines, I have never experienced any reluctance in offering alcohol, in fact it is proactively offered very much! Alcohol bill is the least of MH's worries- contrary to popular belief recently, business as usual on board- the last flight to CDG I took 2 weeks back was packed full in C...was half hoping for an empty seat beside me!

Or perhaps I just look like an alcoholic!
Old Oct 3, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: QR Silver
I've always been offered alcohol, both in J and Y. Ex-OSL they even offer champagne in Y (not sure if they still do, last flight was in May)! I may look like a muslim as I am dark skinned and have black hair, but as mentioned, I never had to ask for champagne or any other alcoholic beverage..
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
I find this thread very interesting. I encountered a very similar experience on Etihad JFK-AUH-ORD in Business Class. Excellent alcoholic beverages were on the menu, however the crew would almost look at me funny when I ordered them or asked for top-offs.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by impeymac
What??? Are we talking about the 1974 Colheita?

I respectfully disagree!
The port is the best bit of the whole experience!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just to report my most recent experience... On my flight yesterday I was offered champagne on boarding (and then a second glass when there was a pre-departure delay). I ordered a glass of wine as my drink for after take-off and every time my glass was getting low the FA seemed to magically appear out of nowhere with the bottle to top me up - no reluctance whatsoever to serve alcohol ^
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does MH offer champagne upon request as predeparture like QR? Turkish will open champagne as predeparture if you ask, but inflight they are terrible at refills. You always have to ask. Is Malaysia the same way ?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:11 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
inflight they are terrible at refills. You always have to ask. Is Malaysia the same way ?
Correct with TK - you need to ask for a refill, it will rarely be offered pro-actively.

MH is much better in this area...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.