Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

What is the deal with alcoholic beverages on QR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold

A couple days ago I had my first flight on QR. I flew from MUC to ICN via DOH. I had two fantastic flights. The seat and service top notch. I did however notice that they never offered any alcoholic drinks unless you specifically asked for it. For the welcome drink I was asked if I wanted orange juice, water or a lemon mint drink. When I asked if could have champagne they said I certainly could, and happily poored me a glass directly from the bottle. When they served dinner they just asked if I wanted still or sparkling water with the meal, they did not ask what wine I would like. When I asked they were more than happy to serve me wine, but they certainly didn't encourage any consumption of alcoholic beverages. I found it somewhat strange as they had excellent wines on offer and it seems they emphasize offering quality wines and liquor. But it was like they'd rather not serve it. Has this anything to do with religion? I have experienced a similar attitude towards alcohol on Malaysia Airlines, which also is a muslim country. It is on offer, but you will have to ask for it.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've always been offered alcohol - depending on flight time of course (but I understand you could request alcohol on morning flights if you wanted). With dinner they offer still/sparkling water even if you have another drink as well - so typically I'm offered wine alongside water at dinner and then normally more wine when my glass is empty!

Maybe you'll have a different experience on your way back. Let us know!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:58 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Also, the lemon mint is lovely - as a second choice to champagne - I'll tend to order it for morning flights!!
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Maybe you'll have a different experience on your way back. Let us know!
My return flight is tomorrow. Will let you know if my experience is different.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:35 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
not my experience at all, even on short regional flights.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gordon0808
A couple days ago I had my first flight on QR. I flew from MUC to ICN via DOH. I had two fantastic flights. The seat and service top notch. I did however notice that they never offered any alcoholic drinks unless you specifically asked for it. For the welcome drink I was asked if I wanted orange juice, water or a lemon mint drink. When I asked if could have champagne they said I certainly could, and happily poored me a glass directly from the bottle. When they served dinner they just asked if I wanted still or sparkling water with the meal, they did not ask what wine I would like. When I asked they were more than happy to serve me wine, but they certainly didn't encourage any consumption of alcoholic beverages. I found it somewhat strange as they had excellent wines on offer and it seems they emphasize offering quality wines and liquor. But it was like they'd rather not serve it. Has this anything to do with religion? I have experienced a similar attitude towards alcohol on Malaysia Airlines, which also is a muslim country. It is on offer, but you will have to ask for it.
Somewhat OT, but this wasn't my experience with international long haul MH flights in business class at all. However, I did notice that the MH lounge at KUL only offers alcohol in the bar area, where you must ask the bartender, although you can take the drink anywhere in the lounge. Also, the alcohol choices there didn't seem to be posted or on obvious display. Maybe during Ramadan they draw a curtain around the bar area like some hotel restaurants and bars in the mideast reportedly do?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by purple1addict
Also, the lemon mint is lovely - as a second choice to champagne - I'll tend to order it for morning flights!!
Absolutely! Big fan of the lemon mint here too Especially after "a bit" of Krug in the lounge....

As for the alcohol: It depends.. I noticed too that they sometimes don't offer it and you specifically have to request it... Oddly enough, I was once on medication and wasn't allowed to have any alcohol.. that was the flight when they came by and teased me about a glass of champagne every half hour
Old Sep 27, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I haven't had this experience, luckily, and I hope it doesn't become the norm. But I wouldn't be surprised. The airline, like Qatar society, has mixed opinions on alcohol -- they are always tweaking the rules in the country to and fro, but the trend is generally moving in the more conservative/Islamic direction (i.e., more restrictions on alcohol). A lot of Qataris criticize the airline for its service of alcohol, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to subtly hide it to balance everyone's wishes.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, CCR, Star Alliance Gold
Now you mention it I think I've had similar experiences. Also thanks for the tip on the mint tea I'll try it next week!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, KL/AF Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Very surprising you experienced it this way.

The typical way of welcome in J is: can I offer you something to drink? some juice, water, lemon mint, laban or champagne perhaps....

Then, the wine menu lists 2 kinds of champagne, 3 whites, 3 reds, 1 dessert white wine and a port (which is awful), and besides, the drink menu lists all the other alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks very clearly.

I can understand that the FA does not ask you: "would you like a rum and coke with that?", similar to when you walk into an office max, the attendant doesn't say: "do you need A3 color copies or cartridges for your printer?" when either doesn't know what you need......
QR goes through a huge expense printing proper food and drink menus for you to read....unlike some airlines....try AA in J and you will be appalled....you get a flyer....

So, in other words, I don't think it has anything to do with QR, merely with the amount of time you spent reading about what is available and ordering to your liking....
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

On my way back they still didn't offer champagne as pre flight drink. It was either water juice or lemon mint. It was a night flight and an early morning flight, so I don't know if that had something to do with it...?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, KL/AF Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
On my way back they still didn't offer champagne as pre flight drink. It was either water juice or lemon mint. It was a night flight and an early morning flight, so I don't know if that had something to do with it...?
Nope...it doesn't. My returns from Asia are always 1am, 2am, and I always have a leisurely glass of bubbles after the same welcome drink question.
Similarly, boarding a DOH-MAD flight at 7am, I just ask for a glass of champagne.
I think it has to do with how much you want the FA to offer you all there is on offer as compared to you telling her what you want.

I can tell you though, that they will not serve any other alcoholic beverages upon boarding other than the 2 kinds of champagne....unlike AA, where you can order a Titos/Cranberry upon boarding....
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by T7ER

Then, the wine menu lists 2 kinds of champagne, 3 whites, 3 reds, 1 dessert white wine and a port (which is awful)
What??? Are we talking about the 1974 Colheita?

I respectfully disagree!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 2:29 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by impeymac
What??? Are we talking about the 1974 Colheita?

I respectfully disagree!
eeeh... now that you mention it, that was the only alcoholic beverage i was actively pushed to try on my last flight with them in J... Not quite my cup of tea, but then the cheese served wasn't that good either, so a fitting meal all in all Would've been happier if she could've advised me on a nice glass of red wine tough.. next time.

and as a side note: requested "a tiny bit" of whisky once just as a good night cap. well if that's what they call "a tiny bit", i really don't know how you're going to survive a normal serving
So they really aren't shy of serving once it's requested..
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:50 pm

No one has mentioned this yet...I wonder if the OP's appearance is such that he/she could potentially be Muslim. The FAs might be selectively cautious with such individuals.

I do realize that people of all races practice Islam, but some are more likely than others.

Over the years, a number of well-intentioned waitstaff have made assumptions based on my appearance and warned me about dishes containing pork or beef.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.