Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades using Miles & Qcredits

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2014, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR G, EY G, TK S, VA R
Angry Upgrades using Miles & Qcredits

I'm a relatively new QR gold card holder travelling frequently between Europe and Australia, and have been hugely disappointed with their upgrade redemption availability, either using my miles or the Qcredits I received when reaching gold status.

On recent trips, this frustration has been heightened when I have learned just how many empty seats there have been in J on the day. (DOHLHR, DOHPER, DOHMEL, DOHMAN)

Anyone had more positive experiences?

I've now got an EY Gold through status match and, if this continues, they will be getting all my business.

Old May 12, 2014, 8:35 pm

I have just had a Y-J upgrade request refused for the second time, same flight. Its less than eight weeks from now, and all business class fare buckets are wide open. Just one, yes, one, of the forty two buisness class seats is reserved as I compile this! And its a business class light route!

Sometimes I am lost for words. This is one of them.

I have had success in using Q-Credits for upgrades, but it was for flights ten months in advance.
Old May 12, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
While I like flying with QR, I hate how they make it so hard to use your miles. For years, haven't had an upgrade that's been successful. If you want to redeem an award, everything is Qx2, unless you book half a year or more in advance...
Old May 13, 2014, 12:58 am

Hmmm ... nothing new here. Moving on ...

I don't expect this to change in the foreseeable future. The only way to get an upgrade (from my own experience) is to request one when you find availability (which is almost nonexistent), and then nag them on email until they release the seat.

Snacky
Old May 13, 2014, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Snacky
Hmmm ... nothing new here. Moving on ...

I don't expect this to change in the foreseeable future. The only way to get an upgrade (from my own experience) is to request one when you find availability (which is almost nonexistent), and then nag them on email until they release the seat.

Snacky
Or wait for the departure gate boarding pass scanner to buzz or flash red.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Always been the same.
Go back prior to OW entry (even over the 3 years I've been following this board), obtaining a Points upgrade was almost impossible.
QR place a high value on their premium product.

Their policy seems to be more liberal with a complete award booking.
Like their statement is - we prefer our premium cabins to be full of business travelers and holiday makers who have paid full award or revenue rates. Business Reps or Oil and Gas workers who are chasing upgrades, can go to the end of the queue.

I'm not saying it's right, just saying that's what I've observed - full award before upgrade.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:30 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
While I tend to agree, i still feel like i have to give some examples how it could go: So far I had 4 flights with QR this year, and on 2 i managed to get an upgrade. One was, I have to admit, on the very obscure DOH-CKG (that's Chongqing, not CGK, Jakarta) route, where it seems quite easy to get an upgrade. The other one was, however, on DOH-ZRH, with plenty of other people in the cabin (if memory serves me right more than 6, in a 787 none the less!). Upgrade was requested and granted about 2 weeks before the flight.

I guess if you're flexible, your best bet is to call the privilege club number of your country (or departing country) first, to check for availability. Then book it and immediately call again to get the upgrade (or request it online, but that usually takes 24 hours).
Old May 13, 2014, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR G, EY G, TK S, VA R
Thanks all. It sounds like I'm going to have problems trying to use my credits for upgrades unless I book a long way out.

I'd suggest QR needs to have a little think about how it treats its top tier (big revenue generating) customers, otherwise, business will go to competitors who ply the same markets. Plenty of choice on the kangaroo route.

I get the sense that Privilege Club is a programme in its infancy, and isn't quite up to speed with how to retain frequent flyer custom.
Old May 13, 2014, 10:07 pm

As a Gold I had 40 Qcredits and used 25 to redeem an upgrade. I now have 15 left with which are pretty useless now, not enough to upgrade anywhere. The shortest flight I travel DOH-BAH is 16 Qcredits for a Y-F upgrade. I travel light and never need excess baggage or extra lounge passes (1 pass = 15 Qcredits).
Old May 13, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
have been made gold since nov 2013, with average 3~4 return flights between europe and asia annually, attempting all possible segments for upgrade but so far only receive message as below:

"We regret to inform you that we are unable to process your award upgrade request as there are no redemption seats available in Business class on your desired flight .... "

Wonder what does the statistic look like for those who were eventually able to use their Qcredit/Qmile for upgrade? Maybe < 10%?
Old May 14, 2014, 7:25 am

I saw some awards availability on the period i plan to travel, does that mean upgrade availability?
Old May 14, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tboons
I saw some awards availability on the period i plan to travel, does that mean upgrade availability?
In theory yes - although feedback above suggests that QR may have a preference for full award tickets over upgrades.

However, my personal experience is that I've requested 3 award upgrades so far and been successful each time. I have only made requests where I've seen award availability for the specific flights though, so maybe that has something to do with it. Also on each of those flights I think they were possibly having to operationally upgrade Y pax anyway as the flights were busy - so maybe that comes into it (ie. they'd rather have my qmiles / qcredits than give the seat away for nothing at all!).
Old May 14, 2014, 7:42 am

haha, i may just book my flight now because there is only that one flight available for that whole period in december!
Old May 14, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by tboons
I would say no. I have applied for upgrades on flights with award seats available at standard redemption rates, and have been declined. Seems there's no connection between the two.
Old May 14, 2014, 7:55 am

i think i would call up the preferred service hotline this weekend or next to check and just book the flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.