Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Do you need to bring the credit card you purchased ticket with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum

On the Qatar website, they mention that they might want to see the credit card used to purchase the ticket. Is this so? or do they only check if the name on the card card used is different from the passenger's name?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
Sometimes they check the credit card - sometimes they don't.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: KL G, QR G, MSL S
It really depends on the station from which you start your travel, and the laxity of the staff there. Ex-DOH, it seems more frequently checked.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marslandflyer
It really depends on the station from which you start your travel, and the laxity of the staff there. Ex-DOH, it seems more frequently checked.
Do they check at CDG?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:37 am

I wonder what's the purpose of checking the credit card. Is it they check during check-in? If yes I suppose all the credit card transaction had already been cleared before.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 1:41 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
They want to avoid credit card fraud, I assume.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Assuming that you paid for your own travel - why would you NOT travel with the credit card used to make payment? Even if you have several, why not bring that one, too???
Old Dec 18, 2013, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Assuming that you paid for your own travel - why would you NOT travel with the credit card used to make payment? Even if you have several, why not bring that one, too???
Because that credit card is at another house (in another country).
Old Dec 18, 2013, 3:51 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hightide
Because that credit card is at another house (in another country).
A couple of years ago I couldn't produce the CC I'd paid for the flight with at check-in (withdrawn by the CC company due to attempted fraudulent usage by a 3rd party). I rang QR & they said to bring the CC statement that showed both the transaction & my address. Seemed to pass muster.

Sometimes you get asked, sometimes you don't. QR T's & C's say they reserve the right to see it.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by impeymac
A couple of years ago I couldn't produce the CC I'd paid for the flight with at check-in (withdrawn by the CC company due to attempted fraudulent usage by a 3rd party). I rang QR & they said to bring the CC statement that showed both the transaction & my address. Seemed to pass muster.

Sometimes you get asked, sometimes you don't. QR T's & C's say they reserve the right to see it.
Sorry, I just can't understand the logic behind this. If the credit card payment cannot go through then you simply won't have the ticket. If the transaction is already completed (=Qatar get the $) what is the point of seeing that credit card again?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Because even a fully completed transaction can always be challenged (via Chargeback) and there are cases where credit card details have been used, without the knowledge of the card owner, to book and travel on long-haul flights.

Presumably, if someone had swiped your card details, booked longhaul travel on Qatar, and completed the journey before you received your statement and found out what had happened, you would not be too pleased. You're currently arguing that "if the transaction went through then why care anymore?". You would not be using this argument if someone else had booked and flown at your expense before you noticed anything was amiss.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Marslandflyer
Seems to always be the way. CX almost always check mine at HKG, but never anywhere else. Departing HKG on QR for the first time, no-one asked me anything.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Maybe it's also due to suspicion. I've never been asked when flying economy, but the one time i flew Business (upgraded, but they didn't seem to notice), they did indeed ask for my credit card. All from ZRH, never been asked in China.

That said, I'm really not the typical business-class person (backpack, too young, not really dressed for the occasion - but that seems to be the norm). Maybe they hoped for a reason to keep me out
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:36 am
Original Poster

I understand their need to check the credit card if the passenger's name doesn't match with the cardholder's name. However, I don't understand why they need to check if passenger's name and cardholder name are the same.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Because even a fully completed transaction can always be challenged (via Chargeback) and there are cases where credit card details have been used, without the knowledge of the card owner, to book and travel on long-haul flights.

Presumably, if someone had swiped your card details, booked longhaul travel on Qatar, and completed the journey before you received your statement and found out what had happened, you would not be too pleased. You're currently arguing that "if the transaction went through then why care anymore?". You would not be using this argument if someone else had booked and flown at your expense before you noticed anything was amiss.
I will be frustrated but not worry. If I brought my wife a ticket with my CC but I am not going along; then I had to be there during her check-in or leave her my card with her so she can show it during check-in^

BTW what the case I mention before is based on using my own credit card for my flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.