Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Do you need to bring the credit card you purchased ticket with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2013, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by hightide
I understand their need to check the credit card if the passenger's name doesn't match with the cardholder's name. However, I don't understand why they need to check if passenger's name and cardholder name are the same.
Not understanding methods of credit card fraud doesn't remove the requirement.

If you cannot lay your hands on the card before you travel, contact Qatar and find out what can be done, or face potentially paying for a new ticket on the day.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Assuming that you paid for your own travel - why would you NOT travel with the credit card used to make payment? Even if you have several, why not bring that one, too???
The credit card chruners.

You should always have the credit card you purchased a ticket with on your person when traveling in the ME and Asia. I learned this the hard way when I was denied boarding on Sri Lanka air. I had printed my boardning pass and skip air side check in at DOH since I checked in online. Went to the gate and waited for boarding time. Once I attempted to board I was asked for my credit card which I didn't have and was denied boarding. If I would have done air side check-in then at least the could have canceled the previous ticket and booked a new ticket with another credit card so I didn't have to miss my flight.

Just don't take the chance. Most people (westerners) are unware of this because it seems to only happen in ME and Asia.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
Just don't take the chance. Most people (westerners) are unware of this because it seems to only happen in ME and Asia.
Not just in the ME and Asia, I should add. A couple of times a year BA has asked for my credit card at the check-in desk, and TK and RJ have done so for me in the past.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
I have always been asked at KHI. Never been asked at MEL. In fact I am flying them tonight out of MEL and don't have the credit card used for purchase as it has now been cancelled (churned). I am not expecting them to ask for the card...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:25 am

You should always have the credit card you purchased a ticket with on your person when traveling in the ME and Asia. I learned this the hard way when I was denied boarding on Sri Lanka air. I had printed my boardning pass and skip air side check in at DOH since I checked in online. Went to the gate and waited for boarding time. Once I attempted to board I was asked for my credit card which I didn't have and was denied boarding. If I would have done air side check-in then at least the could have canceled the previous ticket and booked a new ticket with another credit card so I didn't have to miss my flight.

Suppose you use your own CC to buy the ticket. If they don't allow you on board due the CC not available, will they refund you the ticket? Or it is consider you fault and you won't get any refund?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:29 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
In South Africa, I am ALWAYS asked for the CC when checking in / dropping bags for the first leg of the ticket that was paid with that CC. For subsequent legs they don't seem to worry. But then CC fraud is rife in this country. When I travel without (checked) luggage and check in on line and print my own BP (or use an electronic BP), there is no CC check!
It has happened occasionally at European airports too, but not 'as a rule'.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by GaryK84
Not just in the ME and Asia, I should add.
Africa (not just SA as per the above post) is a prime place to be asked from what I've read/heard.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

Originally Posted by zainman
don't have the credit card used for purchase as it has now been cancelled (churned). I am not expecting them to ask for the card...
So are you saying that in the US and Australia when you cancel a card, you have to return it to the issuer?

I've never been told to return a card - only to destroy it. Which can be done after all travel booked on the card has been completed @:-)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 2:15 am

That is not what I am saying. It does need to be returned but yes destroyed. And I have destroyed mine. I can't even remember which card I used to purchase the ticket tbh. That's how churning works πŸ˜„
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing you were not asked for the card yesterday at check-in, then.

It seems to me that, if you were asked to show a card, and the answer was that "I don't have the card and that account is now closed" rather than "I don't have it with me", there is potential for greater alarm bells to go off...

(The card you used to buy your ticket will be listed on your travel confirmations. You don't need to remember).
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
I suppose it's better to get the credit card couriered to me via DHL. I looked up the cost of DHL from USA-Indonesia and it's around $50... is this about right? Are there any cheaper but reliable courier services?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:06 pm

As far as I know Credit card checks were introduced as an anti terror measure after the World Trade Centre incident. The prevention of credit card fraud is a result of the checks not the reason for them.

When I try to present my Credit card at the airport I am informed that ”it has already been verified.” This occurred at about the same time as my bank insisted that I use 'Verified by Visa' for all my credit cards even though they are not Visa.

When using on-line booking I am always asked if the person whose credit card is being used is one of the passengers. Since I am I always reply Yes. I am then informed that I must present the card at check-in otherwise I must pay again at check-in. (I cannot remember the precise wording).

When I use OLCI for the first flight of a booking I get the following document:-

Online Check-in Confirmation
You have successfully checked in your flight.This is not a boarding pass.

This contains the statement:

• You will be required to present your travel documents and
credit card used to make your online booking at the airport checkin
counter to get a boarding pass.

QR have a procedure when the card is not available so why not contact the local QR office and see what can be done. If it is the return leg you may not need it at all.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not a terror thing (one-way tickets bought with cash - so no way of tracking the transaction as there is with a credit or debit card - are the ones that ring alarm bells in that department).

It's purely for fraud.

Airlines Anti Fraud Policies
Old Dec 20, 2013, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
It's not a terror thing (one-way tickets bought with cash - so no way of tracking the transaction as there is with a credit or debit card - are the ones that ring alarm bells in that department).

It's purely for fraud.

Airlines Anti Fraud Policies
yep, wasn't asked for the card at all. My partner was travelling with me and she was booked on a separate itinerary with a different PNR using a different credit card and she wasn't asked either. In KHI they always ask as they probably consider it high-risk.

I don't think telling them the card has been cancelled/closed by me would raise any alarm bells. People can cancel/close credit cards for a number of reasons. I can still probably show them a PDF statement proving the purchase if ever asked.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Ok, I wrote to Qatar and they wrote back to me:

Thank you for contacting Qatar Airways Support.

In reference to you query, kindly be advised that credit card verification is a mandatory requirement only if you have used your credit card to purchase a ticket for someone else or you have used someone else's credit card to purchase a ticket for yourself. In this case, as you have stated in your email below that you are the credit card owner then the verification process is not necessary.

In case you indicate that the card holder is not one of the travellers, please ensure that you submit the card holder's documents for verification within 48 hours of booking at qatarairways.com/cardpayment according to the instructions displayed during booking and in your confirmation email in order to avoid cancellation of your trip.

We thank you for taking the time to write to us and look forward to welcoming you on board our services in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

Qatar Airways Support

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.