Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop but not plane change

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Stop but not plane change

I note that the flights between Doha and Phnom Penh have a brief stop of ~1h15 at Ho Chi Minh City, before continuing on the same aircraft. I was wondering how that is handled? Do passengers travelling to the final destination stay on the plane, or do you have to get off and re-board? Do you get any drinks or any kind of service whilst waiting on the ground?

Just curious what the procedure is, as I will hopefully be doing this route next year.

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:50 am

Hi steve,
Gernerally on transit stops some Acustomers disembark and some new pnes may embark, the Aircarft gets a quick clean and a crew change moght take place too. Whether you have to get off or not depends on local procedures (customes, immigration etc) so I cant answer that. There wont be any Cabin Service taking place while on the Ground, thats pretty certain, as Crew will have to cover doors and its all a bit hectic on transit stops. Hope this helps
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
The DOH-BKK-HAN is similar and at BKK in J you stay on board. No ETOH is served but soft drinks, coffee, tea, nuts, chips etc are all available.

I imagine it is similar for the DOH-PNH-SGN flights.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Flier74 is on the money.
It is at the discretion of the country you are passing through - in your case, Vietnam.
I haven't done the SGN fly through, but I have done it at SIN and KUL.
In both cases a full flight crew change and cabin cleaning.

DOH - SIN - DPS ordered off the plane, no choice. The Singaporeans want to see who and what you are (one direction is at 1am and it's a pig of a stop).
DOH - KUL - HKT if you have a through Ticket, not allowed to get off. The Malaysians don't want to see you or be bothered by your presence.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Interesting that different airports handle it differently. It hadn't occurred to me that it was the countries' governments that drive the procedure. Many thanks for your responses.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by in2it54
Flier74 is on the money.
It is at the discretion of the country you are passing through - in your case, Vietnam.
I haven't done the SGN fly through, but I have done it at SIN and KUL.
In both cases a full flight crew change and cabin cleaning.

DOH - SIN - DPS ordered off the plane, no choice. The Singaporeans want to see who and what you are (one direction is at 1am and it's a pig of a stop).
DOH - KUL - HKT if you have a through Ticket, not allowed to get off. The Malaysians don't want to see you or be bothered by your presence.
Likewise at BKK you stay onboard whilst they come in and clean.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:53 pm

Maybe a contrary view here, but could it be the final destination country's rules?

My example is with EK where you can transit BKK heading for HKG or SYD. On the SYD flight you must get off, go through security and return to the gate, but if heading for HKG you stay onboard in BKK.

I'm sure I've read that the reason for getting off on the SYD flight is Australian government rules.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
It's hard to tell who makes the rules, isin't.

DPS - SIN - DOH ordered of the plane.
HKT - KUL - DOH ordered to stay on the plane.

In this example, if the Qataris are making the rules, they are flip floppin.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 12:11 am

When I did PNH-DOH-WAW on QR this spring, we had a brief, planned stop in SGN. Passengeres who had tickets to DOH and beyond, were to stay on the plane for about one hour during which ground cleaning crews cleaned and took out the trash, and the airline in the end let new passengers board. A lot of disturbance in the cabin by the cleaning crew ofcourse, hauling large bags of trash and having to work very quickly, thus caring less for the comfort of the passengers (although I do understand them wanting to get on with it, to keep from delaying the flight). No drinks were served and the airline didn't provide any kind of service (I wasn't expecting so either). I would have preferred to disembark actually.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Jul 12, 2013 at 12:49 pm
Old Jul 11, 2013, 3:14 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
I took the DOH-HKT sections when the flight just started - it was chaotic at KUL as the staff didn't really know what to do (probably their first rotation on the route).

The staff did Day 1: DOH-KUL Day 2: KUL-HKT-KUL Day 3: KUL-DOH

Arriving into KUL the staff didn't know what to with regards to staying on board until the new crew arrived, and what we the pax should be doing. In both directions in the KUL stop they tried to close all the toilets and stop people using it - eventually (and even being stern / borderline rude) they had to open one toilet.

There is no way they can enforce no-one leaving the plane or using the toilets for 70 minutes on ground (plus the seatbelts on pre/post take off = almost 2 hours).

Less of a hassle on the way out (about 40 people going onto HKT, and another 20 odd joined in KUL once the new crew were on board), but got messy on the way back from HKT where the plane was 80% full with very few getting off at KUL. The crew from KUL-DOH (it was the 3am slot) were the worst i've had on QR - really felt like they had had a terrible 3 day rota and were very tired!

It just seemed that QR management hadn't properly briefed the crew on what to do in KUL - and obviously with so many add-ons and rules different in each place I can't blame the crew for being stressed and confused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.