Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Al-Baker: BOS, DTW, ATL, 3xJFK

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Al-Baker: BOS, DTW, ATL, 3xJFK

Al-Baker mentioned adding Boston, Detroit, and Atlanta, resuming the discussion from a year ago: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...832246626.html. This is the most specific time-line I have seen -- "by early 2014" (which would perhaps be before the PHL launch in April) -- though of course we always have to take these things with a grain of salt. Also he mentions adding the B777X, hopefully as a launch customer.

This is from a year ago, which I hadn't noticed before: "A daily New York service will also be increased to three flights a day, with the addition of links via cities in Eastern and Western Europe, Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker said yesterday in Montreal." I wonder what the timetable is for 3xJFK?

Too bad that he didn't mention DFW or a west-coast city.

Last edited by mecabq; May 17, 2013 at 5:49 am
Old May 17, 2013, 7:23 am

I personally think DTW and ATL are a diversion, QR has been looking at other US destinations too and I speculate these two destinations will see QR service rather than DTW or ATL. QR doesn't characteristically announce destinations very early, the PHL announcement is the earliest I know of.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I believe that this was just a throwaway comment.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mecabq
Al-Baker mentioned adding Boston, Detroit, and Atlanta, resuming the discussion from a year ago: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...832246626.html. This is the most specific time-line I have seen -- "by early 2014" (which would perhaps be before the PHL launch in April) -- though of course we always have to take these things with a grain of salt. Also he mentions adding the B777X, hopefully as a launch customer.
First see, then believe.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I believe that this was just a throwaway comment.
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
First see, then believe.
Ha-ha, good points. It's really striking to see the difference in public statements between QR management and, say, those of EK. I think that the apparent unaccountability of anything that QR says as symptomatic of the professionalism of the whole airline. (Sorry for the hyperbole.) We see the same recklessness, or negligence, in statements about the new airport opening.

One has to wonder if this type of information provision is consistent with the practices of a publicly-traded company. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this is a reason for why QR put their IPO on indefinite hold (or maybe talk about an IPO has also been "throw-away" comments), but I would be very hesitant to trust any financial projections or other information that the company would provide to a prospective investor.

We should admire the airline's accomplishments, and I kind of like Al-Baker's brashness sometimes, but one has to wonder about the company's maturity.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:10 pm

Ha-ha, good points. It's really striking to see the difference in public statements between QR management and, say, those of EK. I think that the apparent unaccountability of anything that QR says as symptomatic of the professionalism of the whole airline. (Sorry for the hyperbole.) We see the same recklessness, or negligence, in statements about the new airport opening.

One has to wonder if this type of information provision is consistent with the practices of a publicly-traded company. I wouldn't go so far as to say that this is a reason for why QR put their IPO on indefinite hold (or maybe talk about an IPO has also been "throw-away" comments), but I would be very hesitant to trust any financial projections or other information that the company would provide to a prospective investor.

We should admire the airline's accomplishments, and I kind of like Al-Baker's brashness sometimes, but one has to wonder about the company's maturity.
IMHO everything you mentioned above is due to the fact that this company is backed by the Qatari government. They will never go public because I believe their financial records will show they are probably operating at a lose and the only way they have been able to sustain their growth is through the support of the Qatari government.

Can anyone honestly believe a company lead by a man such a man as Akbar, a company which had to delay an airport opening several times and doesn't even offer a reason for the cancellation the day before its opening and a company which is opening a new route almost monthly is not receiving some kind of stimulus?

I'm not against a company receiving huge government monetary support, as every company has to in Qatar in order to try and compete with non-Qatari companies, but don't say your not.
Old May 18, 2013, 4:59 am

This is from a year ago, which I hadn't noticed before: "A daily New York service will also be increased to three flights a day, with the addition of links via cities in Eastern and Western Europe, Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker said yesterday in Montreal." I wonder what the timetable is for 3xJFK?

In my opinion, like many others in this thread, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt here. QR could launch flights to BOS, DTW, and ATL, but realistically I think QR has really stretched its self thin by announcing so many destination and frequency increases in the last little while. All of these routes would require huge investment for QR to start, so I don't know whether this is in the immediate plans for QR.

QR announced they had the intention to start a second daily JFK via Athens, which sounds credible given their website even had a PR on it. Noting that JFK was not specifically mentioned, perhaps QR might want to target EWR instead with a 3rd daily to New York?

On a side note, can anyone clarify whether QR's 787s have crew rest facilities? I don't think they do, this might create some issues with regard to the economics of the routes if they have to use up PAX space for crew rest. Then again, if economics were such a concern for QR, I'm sure they wouldn't exist.

I guess the difference is that one company is out to make money, and the other is out to spend money!
Old May 18, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
On a side note, can anyone clarify whether QR's 787s have crew rest facilities? I don't think they do
I don't think they do either.
Old May 18, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
Finding qualified pilots has been a major challenge for EK, EY, QR lately.

Its not just about financial investments but also about human resources.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by sammy7

Depends how you would define the term 'qualified' pilots, because at EK they have no shortage of applicants with Boeing and Airbus type-ratings, mind you these applicants are qualified on B737 and A320 for the most part, so it's not directly equivalent to the B777, A330/340 or A380 if that's what you mean. I believe in fact that there are over 1000 applicants at EK alone. I believe it's the same situation at EY and QR, rumours have it that the waiting list for QR is about a year for first officer applicants, making it very difficult to get a job at QR. The B787 delays and battery problems didn't help with hiring either!
Old May 19, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainEKAirbus
On a side note, can anyone clarify whether QR's 787s have crew rest facilities? I don't think they do, this might create some issues with regard to the economics of the routes if they have to use up PAX space for crew rest.
The first series witch is up for delivery this year dont. But a new series (787-9) with crew rest is up for (planned) delivery 2014 for transatlantic traffic. Ref. Al Baker, Dubai, april 30th this year.

Last edited by RUN4FUN; May 19, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Old May 20, 2013, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by RUN4FUN
The first series witch is up for delivery this year dont. But a new series (787-9) with crew rest is up for (planned) delivery 2014 for transatlantic traffic. Ref. Al Baker, Dubai, april 30th this year.
Thanks, good to know.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

More importantly... Why is he at Montreal? Is he holding talks to have more flights to Montreal? Or perhaps adding more routes to Canada? Or is he perhaps mocking the Canadian govt to show that he has plans to expand all over the US when the Canadian govt while protecting Air Canada is restricting QR's expansion within its shores?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by sammy7

I think a few are coming from SQ as they are reducing the number of pilots there.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
More importantly... Why is he at Montreal? Is he holding talks to have more flights to Montreal? Or perhaps adding more routes to Canada? Or is he perhaps mocking the Canadian govt to show that he has plans to expand all over the US when the Canadian govt while protecting Air Canada is restricting QR's expansion within its shores?
Actually the IATA HQ is in Montreal. The same IATA HQ that Al Baker wanted to move to Doha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.