Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar to fly to PHL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by UA Fan
The timing suck for connections to South India.
Are there a lot of connections to South India at PHL?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Just booked four of us in business class for this flight as part of a return from the Maldives next spring break. I think the flight time for DOH-PHL is awesome as basically means one can sleep and wake up in the morning back on US time. Have a nice 1.5 hour connection on to US Air to get us back to RDU on landing too. Very happy to have this option ^

How are the breakfast options on the flight? I expect to try sleep for 7-8 hours and then enjoy a hopefully good breakfast
If I remember correctly they serve breakfast a few hours before landing. I slept through it and settled with tea and a crossiant. It was a full American breakfast according to the menu.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by skunker
Are there a lot of connections to South India at PHL?
No, at DOH.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: A few
The timing suck for connections to South India.
go from IAD or JFK then.... not like they are straving you of options
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:09 pm

No, at DOH.
He was talking about the flight FROM DOH TO PHL. As all the other flights to the US leave in the morning and land in the afternoon they aren't good for connections. The night flight to PHL is very good for connections and sleeping.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He was talking about the flight FROM DOH TO PHL. As all the other flights to the US leave in the morning and land in the afternoon they aren't good for connections. The night flight to PHL is very good for connections and sleeping.
Fair enough, although the transit for flights from South India are long at DOH.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:03 pm

Fair enough, but neither does the world begin or end in South India. it is nice there is one East Coast option that ties out this way, there are plenty of other options
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:29 am

Why would you connect in PHL if you are based in DFW??? There is a direct flight from DFW which allows reasonable connections. Or, as ma91pmh says choose any other city from which QR flies from the US if your destination is S. India.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you connect in PHL if you are based in DFW??? There is a direct flight from DFW which allows reasonable connections. Or, as ma91pmh says choose any other city from which QR flies from the US if your destination is S. India.
More options and my folks are in PHL.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:35 am

More options and my folks are in PHL.
adding flights at roughly the same departure times as other nearby is not really adding more options as adding more of the same... what they did do is *actually* offer more options

sorry to bash on you on this one but it's an odd stance ... .somehow this flight is inconvenient because one guy who happens to pass through the airport because his folks live nearby and wants to fly to south india doesn't find it convenient? generally i think i am pretty good at spotting when something seems generally inconvenient for the intended audience and when it might not just work out well for me.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
adding flights at roughly the same departure times as other nearby is not really adding more options as adding more of the same... what they did do is *actually* offer more options

sorry to bash on you on this one but it's an odd stance ... .somehow this flight is inconvenient because one guy who happens to pass through the airport because his folks live nearby and wants to fly to south india doesn't find it convenient? generally i think i am pretty good at spotting when something seems generally inconvenient for the intended audience and when it might not just work out well for me.
huh? Why is it odd? I was just implying that for my needs it is inconvenient. You have never remarked that a certain product is not suitable for you?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:58 am

huh? Why is it odd? I was just implying that for my needs it is inconvenient. You have never remarked that a certain product is not suitable for you?
I guess my comment was the flight time in the DOH-PHL direction is convenient in that it gives an overnight "red-eye" option that connects extremely well to the entire US Air network from PHL which is extensive. So I'm just pointing out it's a convenient flight time and that is not based on just my personal circumstances. But you seem to be saying the flight the other way is not convenient because of your own very narrow circumstances.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
I'm looking forward to trying this flight time next month. I'll have a good meal in Al Mourjan so that I can go right to sleep after takeoff. Hopefully this will mean a good 8 hours of sleep or so and take some of the edge off of the jet lag.
It would be nice if one or two of the other US destinations had this departure time to give us more options. It looks like they all go at around 8 am and only PHL departs at 1 am. A little more balance would be nice.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:25 pm

It looks like when MIA gets the upgrade to the 77W, PHL is downgraded to the 77L. DOH-PHL looks like is flown solely with the 77L from May on.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
It looks like when MIA gets the upgrade to the 77W, PHL is downgraded to the 77L. DOH-PHL looks like is flown solely with the 77L from May on.
That is a bit disappointing. Makes me wonder how well the PHL route is being supported by US/AA. Last year, the PHL 77W was swapped out with CPT seasonally, but this change appears for all of 2015. Seems the PHL 77W is going to MIA. My guess is that that MIA-DOH has high loads connecting with AA traffic from/to Latin America. OTOH, effective 5/12/15, the 77W is similarly replaced with the 77L on the DFW-DOH route for the remainder of the year.

These swaps may be just another example of aircraft (un)availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.