Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by timesnaps
Hi First time flyer on Qatar... have a few questions:

1. Can I check in any earlier than 24hrs before flight departure? (and is that the only time I can select seats for free?)
Online checkin on Qatar normally starts 24 hours before departure. Without any status that's correct.
2. Is a quite empty seat map any indication on how full the flights are (QR138, 9th Feb / QR960 on the 12th of Feb)
Not really. As yourselves notices there are few options to select seat. Seat selection is done at the latest at checkin, at least in Economy.
3. Do they serve any alcohol in cattle class?
Yes, never flown Economy on Qatar but alcohol is complementary even in Economy during meals.
4. I understand I cannot take a drone into Qatar without prior registration. Thats ok, I dont need it there. But I need it at my final destination. How can I store it during my three days transit in Qatar?
I'm afraid I don't have an answer for that. But if you for some reason have to say in Doha for 3 days you are not transiting, you are entering the country. If the drone is important to you I'd send it with UPS or something to your final destination instead and you don't have to worry about anything.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by timesnaps
4. I understand I cannot take a drone into Qatar without prior registration. Thats ok, I dont need it there. But I need it at my final destination. How can I store it during my three days transit in Qatar?
No personal experience, but I would go through the red channel at customs and declare you have a drone, and that you don't need it or intend to use it in Qatar.

The customs service at the airport do provide a service to hold items that are haram (eg. Alcohol, pork) for passengers on stopovers. If they don't want you to take the drone into the country my guess is that they will hold it for you, give you a receipt, and you can collect it again as you leave.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 3:13 pm

Thank you all. All makes perfect sense. Meanwhile I am offered to upgrade the DOH-DPS leg for 1500 Euro (500 less than an earlier email). Again, not sure if thats an indication of an empty flight, but lets hope. If it was a 12 hours flight, I might even take them up on the offer. (its for 2 passengers), but an empty row in Economy will serve me equally well for a good sleep
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:13 am

Programs: skywards
Newbie LHR to KIli upgrade

HI

Apologies if my questions are rather obvious!

Me & family , 5 adults travel on 07 july In Economy from LHR to Kilimanjaro via Doha booked in Class H, which I am told is a flexible ticket.

What are the chances of being offered a paid upgrade prior, at the moment there is an option to upgrade but no availability on either leg. Is it too early?

Also I have 200,000 of amex points that I can transfer to avios points, however I dont want to do that now in case there is no upgrades on offer - is that a good policy / action to adopt?

Many Thanks
Gian
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by raigian
HI

Apologies if my questions are rather obvious!

Me & family , 5 adults travel on 07 july In Economy from LHR to Kilimanjaro via Doha booked in Class H, which I am told is a flexible ticket.

What are the chances of being offered a paid upgrade prior, at the moment there is an option to upgrade but no availability on either leg. Is it too early?

Also I have 200,000 of amex points that I can transfer to avios points, however I dont want to do that now in case there is no upgrades on offer - is that a good policy / action to adopt?

Many Thanks
Gian
Managing to buy 5 upgrades on the same flights close to zero I would say.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: skywards
Thanks for prompt reply, looks like saving the points for another trip is best bet then.
Presume I can buy lounge access at Doha though?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: AP 50k, UA Silver, MB Titanium, HH Diamond
deleted

Last edited by mynameisdmoon; Feb 9, 2023 at 11:24 am Reason: deleting
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Sorry to intrude. I am a BA Gold member travelling with partner and have some QR flights booked for April and totally confused as to what lounges I am allowed to use.
AMS/DOH/BKK in P class (Business) and HKT/DOH/CDG in I class. I know we have previously used the AJ lounge in Doha but not sure with all the new rules if that has changed? Assuming we still earn the normal BA tier point but with less Avios earning? Anyone able to help?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 7:44 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
As I understand it, the P class tickets will not entitle you to the Al Mourjan lounge - you could pay for entry but the new OneWorld lounges are actually very nice. You should be able to use the Platinum lounge on the basis of your OW emerald status - the boarding pass should work but when I was there it seemed to ease the situation when I showed them my Gold card - so take one if you have one.

For the I class, you should have access to the AM lounge(s) - and/or the OW Platinum lounge if you wish.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
As I understand it, the P class tickets will not entitle you to the Al Mourjan lounge - you could pay for entry but the new OneWorld lounges are actually very nice. You should be able to use the Platinum lounge on the basis of your OW emerald status - the boarding pass should work but when I was there it seemed to ease the situation when I showed them my Gold card - so take one if you have one.

For the I class, you should have access to the AM lounge(s) - and/or the OW Platinum lounge if you wish.
Thank yolu. Much appreciate the help.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:36 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Not very familiar with QR fares, but my friend is in a bit of an unexpected situation at DOH right now. Him and his partner purchased Economy Classic tickets and on their OTP-DOH-ADL were not able to check-in online. By the time they got to the airport, the check-in agent wasn’t able to allocate them 2 seats toghether on the DOH-ADL segment, told him to check again during the layover. My friend did just that, and they were told they had to pay 200$ to be seated together on row 19.

Now i know that Classic doesn’t include seat selection, but i thought that once online-checkin opens it becomes free for all, am i wrong? Shouldn’t they have been reseated for free? Or is 19K extra legroom/preffered on the 777? Aparently there were no other rows available.

He already paid for the seats, but wants to email a complaint to QR, and i’m not sure what advice to give him.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hi All,

Am normally on the BA Forums, but I am looking to secure MLE to LHR One way Avios in Business for Feb 24, I can see cash flights for 9th feb but no Avios at all (although selling x2 for all other dates in Feb 24). When do the reward seats get released? Is it Midnight UK time? Or Midnight DOH time? Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilotDR40
Hi All,

Am normally on the BA Forums, but I am looking to secure MLE to LHR One way Avios in Business for Feb 24, I can see cash flights for 9th feb but no Avios at all (although selling x2 for all other dates in Feb 24). When do the reward seats get released? Is it Midnight UK time? Or Midnight DOH time? Thanks
Unlike BA, QR do not guarantee a minimum number of award seats on each flight, so there is no guaranteed release date and time. Some may or may not become available soon or nearer departure, but as it sounds like you may be travelling during school holidays which QR tend to regard as peak times, you may not be lucky.

Booking each sector separately may yield some success, possibly through different carriers, but at a higher price.and also with no guarantee of success
Old Feb 14, 2023, 1:40 pm

Is it possible to upgrade from Business to first? I am booked on a QR avios ticket and one of my connecting legs is clearly on a borrowed CX 777 that has a first class cabin. Is it possible to upgrade to first in this situation?

Flight is DOH-MLE
Old Feb 15, 2023, 3:59 am

Sort of related to that^.

My partner and I are traveling on DOH-MLE on two different itineraries (points from different accounts) both booked in J. We originally selected middle seats together when it was still Qsuites, but now that QR is operating a Cathay plane, I was assigned an F seat (otherwise, entirely empty cabin) while P2 was left in J. I'm AA Plat Pro/OW Emerald, while she has no status, so I'm not sure if that was why. Should I call to ask QR to seat her in F with me, or wait to ask at the airport? I figure if I call before it gets to airport control, the phone agent might just ask me to move back to J if we want to sit together. I'm not seeing any option to upgrade with cash or miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.