Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor : QR + oneworld decided ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by 787fan
Rumors on a.net indicate QR joining oneworld has been decided and will be announced within a week ... anyone else have info on this ?
I just saw this article linked to in a thread on the EK Forum, which also tells a similar story.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...pected-377073/
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ft101
I just saw this article linked to in a thread on the EK Forum, which also tells a similar story.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...pected-377073/
Is Al Baker scheduled to be in NYC that day?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by CAlex
It would make sense for QR to join, but that would mean second blow for BA, who just lost QF from the alliance now, and with QR joining OW they will have even more people opting to fly QR instead of BA.

Time will tell...
I could more see QR being a new codeshare partner for BA. Perhaps they realised that they're also better off partnering with a ME carrier for AU destinations.

The EK/QF announcement could have been the last drop in the glass.

Sure, time will tell
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by peterdudas
I could more see QR being a new codeshare partner for BA. Perhaps they realised that they're also better off partnering with a ME carrier for AU destinations.

The EK/QF announcement could have been the last drop in the glass.

Sure, time will tell
There are FTs saying that QF hurried the deal with EK as they know QR is joining oneworld. So they want to make sure the deal with EK ahead of the announcement to make status quo. I kind of agree with that sentiment.

I think BA will work with QR on African routes. BA and CX may work closer to develope Hong Kong into BA's Australian route getaway with codeshares on CX to other Australian cities besides Sydney.

QF is unlikely to leave oneworld as much as EK is unlikely to join oneworld, so far. But as soon as QR joins OW I think Etihad would be in SkyTeam very soon.

Only mistery part for me is that AA seems reluctant to sign up with EK and EK seems want to push a deal with AA...Is that because AA does not want to upset the QR membership in negotiation? Well, 8th October we will know!
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: QR platinum, HH diamond, Hyatt GP diamond, UA Premier Gold
QR joining *A would have been more useful to me I think.

How does it usually work with these types of things in terms of frequent flyer programs, levels, membership levels and the like? Any form of harmonization of rules etc? Possibilities to transfer points between different FF programs?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by f97johan
Possibilities to transfer points between different FF programs?
Probably not (at least not without major point value loss), unless QR buys out another airline whose FF program it combines.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: PR, CX, QR, EK, ICH-PC, ACCOR
How about this? Just in 2 hours ago... so who is the rumored gulf carrier?

Qatar Airways has no plans to join oneworld alliance: CEO
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ance-1.1082943
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tamag0chi
How about this? Just in 2 hours ago... so who is the rumored gulf carrier?

Qatar Airways has no plans to join oneworld alliance: CEO
http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...ance-1.1082943
We don't know - I would not give a denial by the CEO much credit in and of itself. What we do know is that QR has terminated arrangements with Star Alliancecarriers (UA most notably) recently, suggesting some sort of move is afoot (you surely wouldn't cancel an agreement with a major airline like UA unless it was losing you money or you had something else in mind).

I guess we will know more in a week from now.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Financial Times: Qatar Airways joins Oneworld alliance

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/18b19eca-0...#ixzz285ek9WKn

Qatar Airways joins oneworld alliance

By Andrew Parker in London

Qatar Airways is set to be the first of the fast-expanding Gulf carriers to become a member of one of the global airline alliances, by agreeing to join oneworld.

The move is a coup for oneworld, whose members are led by American Airlines and British Airways, and underlines how the Gulf carriers may no longer be viewed with hostility by western airlines.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:03 pm
Suspended

If this is confirmed it's HUGE!! Now what will I fly to the ME?? Etihad F on the way there and Qatar J on the way back?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CAlex
It would make sense for QR to join, but that would mean second blow for BA, who just lost QF from the alliance now, and with QR joining OW they will have even more people opting to fly QR instead of BA.

Time will tell...
If QR joins OW is BECAUSE BA wants them actually...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
oneworld proponents are claiming that all 3 gulf carriers being involved with oneworld one way or another is great opportunity and choice, but I'd see that as weakening the business case for any one of them to become a full oneworld member. those claiming that oneworld loves doing side deals forget that QF+AF was way smaller a relationship than QF+EK.

it would be very awkward for QR if AA/AB mostly send their pax to AUH while QF exclusively send theirs via DXB.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 787fan
oneworld proponents are claiming that all 3 gulf carriers being involved with oneworld one way or another is great opportunity and choice, but I'd see that as weakening the business case for any one of them to become a full oneworld member. those claiming that oneworld loves doing side deals forget that QF+AF was way smaller a relationship than QF+EK.

it would be very awkward for QR if AA/AB mostly send their pax to AUH while QF exclusively send theirs via DXB.
It's actually a way to ensure all MO3 carriers are happy. Remember that AA - for instance - can route its passengers via LHO and HKG (and soon KUL) TPAC. This would be just one more option... I see no losers, really. Perhaps consumers, as prices are likely to go up...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:16 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
Seems its just hapened!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/18b19eca-0...#axzz286iOzW6z

Good for us OW FF'ers

CJ
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:34 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As most I think this would be a very welcome addition (though I would prefer them in *A ). Finally that BA Gold card may come in handy with an airline actually worth flying from SE Asia to Europe or US (other than CX that is).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.