Wiki Posts
Search

Paid upgrade at check in.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Paid upgrade at check in.

Basically do QR sell upgrades at check in? If so, what is their pricing structure?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:50 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
I've never tried but based on the way QR operates my guess is the fare difference.

The fact that when you get op'ed up you eat Y food tells a lot
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: Privilege Club
Originally Posted by lsed
I've never tried but based on the way QR operates my guess is the fare difference.

QR sell the upgrade for outstation upon check in at airport. The rate is not applied to passenger to travel to GCC region. There re 2 rates which are peak season and off peak season and upgrage is from outstation to Doha only.

for example, passenger holding BKK DOH LHR wants to upgrade at the airport, he will be upgraded only one sector BKK DOH with the rate of USD850 for off peak season and USD1200 fpr peak season.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: QR-SL, EK, TG, BA
OP UP

Is that a fact, that if anyone gets an operational upgrade from economy to business you still eat economy food? Please forgiven my ignorance as despite being a silver member I never been offered such an upgrade.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by lsed
I have had a few OP, and always had the same menu as flown class. I have only heard of eating Y if they run out of food.... Then I guess paid customers would get priority. I also once have been moved to F cabin when Business was full, but on a flight that wasn't sold as 3-class flight. I was alone in the F-cabin, and happy choosing from the business-menu :-)
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by rhr46flyer
Is that a fact, that if anyone gets an operational upgrade from economy to business you still eat economy food? Please forgiven my ignorance as despite being a silver member I never been offered such an upgrade.
No. I have had several op-ups, with full business class service every time. Airlines will not serve economy class food in biz as it is considered to devalue the ambience of the cabin. QR is very proud if its premium class product, and won't risk harming its excellent reputation with a little spot of penny pinching.

But I read on this forum a few months ago, on a 777, of the bona fide business class passengers being moved into rows 1-4 only, with rows 5-7 being declassified for use of economy class passengers, and with economy service. This can only be done on 777's, as rows 1-4 and 5-7 are in effect seperate cabins, with toilets and a large galley area between the two.

Go to http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qat..._777-200LR.php and you will see what I mean. Its the same on a 777-300ER.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Jan 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm Reason: Correction.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 5:11 pm

Deleted. Post duplicated in error.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Hmm thats great to hear they don't discriminate against you during op up.

I posted that cause I read some FA was scolded for serving J food to an opup pax. and then the pax's wife was later served Y food after that.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by AlexCM

for example, passenger holding BKK DOH LHR wants to upgrade at the airport, he will be upgraded only one sector BKK DOH with the rate of USD850 for off peak season and USD1200 fpr peak season.
When you do a sector by sector upgrade it will cost you MORE than if you are to do the upgrade on the entire journey oneway.. ie BKK/DOH/LHR. But you can only do that prior to the airport.

Note that the BKK-DOH fare is usually more than the BKk-DOH-LON fare so its logical to upgrade the entire journey.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I don't think so. In my few op-ups, I have been served in accordance with the class that I flew.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if QR had a policy requiring such. I once was flying in biz CDG-DOH, and showed up at the airport early trying to get on the earlier flight, close to its departure time. They said that I couldn't because, as an out-station, they didn't have anymore C meals. I said that I would be happy to take the Y meal, or none at all, but they said that it wasn't allowed. (I thought that it was strange and silly, but didn't press it too much.)
Old Feb 3, 2014, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
When you do a sector by sector upgrade it will cost you MORE than if you are to do the upgrade on the entire journey oneway.. ie BKK/DOH/LHR. But you can only do that prior to the airport.

Note that the BKK-DOH fare is usually more than the BKk-DOH-LON fare so its logical to upgrade the entire journey.
i want to upgrade J-F for LHR-DOH-BKK (ex BKK to LHR for original ticket). what should that work out like? (price and such). DOH-BKK has no F but i read for purpose of upgrades i should upgrade the whole trip???
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by Nuff Said
No. I have had several op-ups, with full business class service every time. Airlines will not serve economy class food in biz as it is considered to devalue the ambience of the cabin. QR is very proud if its premium class product, and won't risk harming its excellent reputation with a little spot of penny pinching.

But I read on this forum a few months ago, on a 777, of the bona fide business class passengers being moved into rows 1-4 only, with rows 5-7 being declassified for use of economy class passengers, and with economy service. This can only be done on 777's, as rows 1-4 and 5-7 are in effect seperate cabins, with toilets and a large galley area between the two.

Go to http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qat..._777-200LR.php and you will see what I mean. Its the same on a 777-300ER.
And thats exactly what happened to me and all the other passengers upgraded to Business class from Tokyo in 2010. We all were seated in rows 5 to 7 with economy class service.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
By the way. Qatar is having a very big promotion in business class from Japan to Europe with return tickets at 1600USD( all taxes and surcharges included) for travel till July 23rd. It looks like its very hard for them to fill the planes.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by tokyolyon
And thats exactly what happened to me and all the other passengers upgraded to Business class from Tokyo in 2010. We all were seated in rows 5 to 7 with economy class service.
Even that's miles better than normal economy seating. But its debatable as to whether it ticks the op-up box or not.

Since my original post, all QR's 773 deliveries have been in high capacity C24/Y356 configuration. Only rows 1-4 are business class; 5-7 don't exist.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AC*E
I think it depends greatly on the flight and situation. I've had two operational upgrades on DOH-KTM and again on KTM-DOH (not the same trip but a year apart).

On the way to Kathmandu (I had no status but was flying an M fare), there were another 2 people also bumped up and 3 others who came from the premium terminal. J class menu was served.

The other trip I was handed 3 boarding passes for my wife, daughter and myself at the gate (all flying different PNRs with completely different fares but we checked in together at the business class with my silver status). We were the only ones in J and were served the Y meal. They told us when we boarded the plane that because there were no J passengers there were no J meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.