Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways to begin direct flights to Montreal in June, says CEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airways to begin direct flights to Montreal in June, says CEO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If they are going to operate the 777 for this route, then it's safe to say that this will be a 2-class route.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
If they are going to operate the 777 for this route, then it's safe to say that this will be a 2-class route.
So it would seem by looking at the seatmap ! The J class doesn't look too bad ! Good to see more competition coming to Canada!^
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Will they be absorbed by one of the Alliances soon? Talking about Alliances, why is it that Star Alliance has the highest pricing and it seems that all of them collude on the pricing.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
They have not announced plans to join any alliance, but they have close co-operation (including codeshares) with many *A airlines, so it's pretty clear which way they are leaning.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Guess so, considering all QR 777s are J/Y . . . J/Y on a 5* airline mind you. YUL doesnt need F

Thought they'd send their 332 at least to start (non F A332). The 777 means a lot of seats to fill (assuming this is not simple a tag-on from BRU)
Old Feb 3, 2011, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the 330 has the range to make it however it might need weight restrictions?? Its at the end of the range with winds. So perhaps thats why they are using a 777
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by why fly
the 330 has the range to make it however it might need weight restrictions?? Its at the end of the range with winds. So perhaps thats why they are using a 777
DOH-YUL is around 10,000km. The A330-200 really is a range king and could tackle that segment (though might be restricted westbound the odd time). QF and AF deploy their A332 on even longer sectors. In fact, QF used to use the A332 on AKL-LAX. (with restrictions some times though)
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by tomh009
They have not announced plans to join any alliance, but they have close co-operation (including codeshares) with many *A airlines, so it's pretty clear which way they are leaning.
Yeah, and there is a quote from their CEO in 2009 that I can't seem to find right now. Summarized, he said that perhaps *A should consider asking him to join, rather than waiting for him to apply.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by threepoint
It's my understanding there are not a lot of spare or idle 763s either.
No matter where you originate in Canada, connecting via any Gulf airport and then backtracking to AMM, IST, BEY or CAI does not sound convenient.
If you could hit an ideal connection in Europe that is true, but that frequently doesn't happen for destinations with lower traffic (AMM is a perfect example of that). For example, last year we went to CAI via LHR with BA. We arrived around 10:00 in LHR, but there is only 1 CAI flight and it left at 18:00.

In cases like that, as long as the extra flight time + connection in DOH doesn't exceed 8 hours, you're better off.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by threepoint
It's my understanding there are not a lot of spare or idle 763s either.
No matter where you originate in Canada, connecting via any Gulf airport and then backtracking to AMM, IST, BEY or CAI does not sound convenient.
True, but a couple of times I have done JFK-LAX-PHX/LAS instead of direct and my friends thinks it inconvenient, my response is "think of the extra miles I get credit for!"
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by why fly
they wont fly long to YUL before they realize that was a mistake
Guess QR haven't clued into their "mistake" yet? . . . QR upgauging YUL to 773ER effective June 2012. Gov't wont allow increased frequency so they take the EK approach . . . send your biggest bird on whatever flights you've got. Good for them. Wish them continued success
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Guess QR haven't clued into their "mistake" yet? . . . QR upgauging YUL to 773ER effective June 2012. Gov't wont allow increased frequency so they take the EK approach . . . send your biggest bird on whatever flights you've got. Good for them. Wish them continued success
QR already stated they will be putting they're 380s on restrictive routes next year.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by NOIR
QR already stated they will be putting they're 380s on restrictive routes next year.
Thats awesome.

As a response, I think they should ban the Canadian team from the World Cup in 2022... that will show us
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by NOIR
with 10 on order and an F cabin, YUL is a very unlikely destination of QRs A380.
1,000 seats/wk via pending 77W service should suffice for some time
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
with 10 on order and an F cabin, YUL is a very unlikely destination of QRs A380.
1,000 seats/wk via pending 77W service should suffice for some time
LHR, and YUL I think should be first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.