Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways to begin direct flights to Montreal in June, says CEO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE

..MONTREAL - Qatar Airways plans to enter the Canadian market this summer by offering direct flights between Doha and Montreal, the head of the Middle Eastern airline said Wednesday.
The airline plans to offer three weekly round-trip flights on Boeing 777 aircraft as part of its aggressive global expansion, chief executive officer Akbar Al Baker told reporters in Brussels.
Qatar, which began offering flights to Belgium on Monday, plans to reach 120 major destinations by 2013. It currently flies to 95 destinations, with Houston, Washington and New York being its only North American stops.
The Montreal route flows out of an aviation agreement signed last October between Canada and Qatar that permits three passenger and three cargo flights per week into Canada.
The additional flights come as the United Arab Emirates has waged a public battle with Canada over its effort to increase its flights.
Ottawa's refusal to give more slots prompted the UAE to kick the Canadian military out of Camp Mirage, a key base in Dubai used to support the war in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, Al Baker was noncommittal about a potential order for Bombardier's (TSX:BBD.B) CSeries.
"I do not want to comment on this. This is a sensitive issue," he told reporters.
Qatar failed to place an expected order at last summer's Farnborough Airshow over maintenance cost issues for the Pratt & Whitney engines.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:03 am
QNX

It is interesting why they selected YUL.. I was under the impression that the demand was from YYZ...

I welcome a healthy competition, hope this deosn't end like EK's aggressive strategies..
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I just hope they offer pricing connecting through YUL that is competitive with their very aggressive prices when we currently connect out of IAD or NYC.

Makes me wonder if they are flying to YUL because the feds would not let them go to YYZ.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Why isnt anyone getting 'riled'

QR is an excellent product, including Y, too bad its not YYZ
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QR is a very good product- nice to see them arriving in Canada.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:47 pm
QNX

Originally Posted by rankourabu

QR is an excellent product, including Y, too bad its not YYZ
I speak to myself, I am not "riled" because a healthy competition is good for everyone, but what EK plans to do, can't be even called "competition" in my opinion.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
I just hope they offer pricing connecting through YUL that is competitive with their very aggressive prices when we currently connect out of IAD or NYC.

Makes me wonder if they are flying to YUL because the feds would not let them go to YYZ.
Assuming it is open point, I am surprised QR chose YUL over YYZ. Maybe ADM gave them a deal they couldn't refuse.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
they wont fly long to YUL before they realize that was a mistake

I wonder if YYZ has started to get time slots that are not available ? I know its difficult to get early morning time slots but I assume they would not want those times anyhow?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Maybe everyone is playing nice this time?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
YUL is less threatening to AC.. and why not. YYZ can still connect with one stopover.. Besides, YYZ although is a leader for flights leaving around the world.. YYZ isn't the center of the universe
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:36 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
QR is a very good product- nice to see them arriving in Canada.
+1

Excellent to see some pressure on AC in any shape or form, especially coming this year on the heels of destroying whatever credibility they had with the top tiers.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Assuming it is open point, I am surprised QR chose YUL over YYZ.
If "open point" means what I think it means, then I'm a bit surprised they didn't choose YYC. I would have thought that there would be more Qatar bound folks from there than YYZ or YUL. But maybe it's a bit far to fly for whatever aircraft they have to operate.

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
YYZ isn't the center of the universe
Yes it is.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
But YUL has and YYZ doesnt:
Air Algérie
Corsairfly
Royal Air Maroc
Royal Jordanian

but the one that hurts most is:
Swiss
Old Feb 2, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, HH G
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
YUL is less threatening to AC.. and why not. YYZ can still connect with one stopover..
For O/D traffic, a cnx at YUL is indeed pretty reasonable. For transit through DOH, that will make it a minimum of two stops from YYZ, and less attractive. But the argument made repeatedly in the "riled" thread was that there is a lot of O/D business potential between Canada and the UAE. This should give us some indication of that potential ...
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
By flying from YUL they will also capture from YOW. Did they say if they are flying n/s or via BRU. If so they may be able to top off with some of the o and d to BRU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.