Search

How Long is Q26 in AKL?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, Cathay Silver, CO OnePass
How Long is Q26 in AKL?

Hello

My Fiance is flying from LAX to MEL via AKL on flight Q26 next week. I am going to be in AKL on that day and was wondering if anyone knows what time Q26 is meant to arrive in AKL and how long it stays for?

I know she will not be able to get out of the airport, but I have mates who work in Duty Free, who may be able to get me in to see her whilst she is in transit.

Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
QF26 is scheduled to arrive at 0830 and depart at 1300 with a change of AC.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 4:38 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Do you have have a CAA pass? if not your chances of getting airside are very slim. To get a temporary pass you going to need a good reason/ New Zealand government issued photo id.

Note QF26 changes aircraft at AKL, it changes from a 744 to 733/734/738
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:29 pm

Programs: QFF
QF 26
Depart: LAX 23:45 Terminal: 4
Arrive: AKL 8:30 Terminal: I
Boeing 747-400
12 hours 45 minutes

Depart: AKL 13:00 Terminal: I
Arrive: MEL 14:05 Terminal: 2
Boeing 737
4 hours 5 minutes

------------------------------------------------------------
QF25
Depart: MEL 5:00 Terminal: 2
Arrive: AKL 11:30 Terminal: I
Boeing 737
3 hours 30 minutes

Depart: AKL 15:05 Terminal: I
Arrive: LAX 7:00 Terminal: B
Boeing 747-400
11 hours 55 minutes
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:18 pm

Book a fully refundable ticket on QF 26 for the AKL-MEL segment, get through customs, meet the fiancee, advise the CS team that you cant travel due to unforeseen circumstance and they will arrange for you to be processed back through customs and facilitate the refund.

Worked for me numerous times, both for legit change of plans, and also when I have needed to be air side to meet with transiting pax.

Bit fiddly, but easily done.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by under the clocks
Book a fully refundable ticket on QF 26 for the AKL-MEL segment, get through customs, meet the fiancee, advise the CS team that you cant travel due to unforeseen circumstance and they will arrange for you to be processed back through customs and facilitate the refund.

Worked for me numerous times, both for legit change of plans, and also when I have needed to be air side to meet with transiting pax.

Bit fiddly, but easily done.
Or if your lucky to find a cheap ticket between AKL-MEL-AKL you could fly over with her, then fly straigh back home.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Or if your lucky to find a cheap ticket between AKL-MEL-AKL you could fly over with her, then fly straigh back home.
That would be the true FT way....
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice.

I am a trainer and have done a bit of work with the company that runs the duty free stores in the Airport. Whenever I have trained them before, I went to the other side. So going to ask my contacts there if they can "arrange" for me to do more training

Wish me luck

Thanks
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:20 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
She'll only have hand luggage, she will probably have enough time to come out to landside and brunch and head back.

If she's quick, she should be able to get to landside around 30 minutes...?

To be perfectly frank, I'm a bit concerned if someone can just arrange a mate to get airside that easily, even if you've done this before as part of your job. I was hoping my taxes and surcharges actually provide me some security...
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems v poor security set up if they can let someone through on the flimsiest excuse

It would take her 10 minutes to come landside and meet you there. Given that there is several hours before connecting, why not just meet legitimately there

There should be no issue with her just clearing immigration and customs ; bags can just stay checked in

Dave
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It seems v poor security set up if they can let someone through on the flimsiest excuse
Originally Posted by Leumas;
To be perfectly frank, I'm a bit concerned if someone can just arrange a mate to get airside that easily, even if you've done this before as part of your job. I was hoping my taxes and surcharges actually provide me some security...
Same its scares me to think who can get airside then.

Makes me wonder what the earth do we pay avsec for
Old Sep 28, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Customs & quarantine at AKL is always swift. If your girlfriend's flight is on time then she'll be able to meet you at a cafe, landside, by 9:15am. You'll have three hours together. These days, AKL has lots of decent options for coffee and lunch.

I did QF26 a coupla weeks ago and it's a joke even to call it a single "flight". You spend the whole morning at the airport between two entirely different flights. It'll be much simpler for your gal to exit customs than for you to scam your way airside. No point.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 30, 2009, 4:53 am
Original Poster

correction

Hi Everyone, you'll be glad to know that you tax $$$ are working better. First off, it wasn't a scam, I genuinely went threw security and got checked in order to train people and help with merchandising in some of the stores,, all very above board

But the rules have changed and I can't get through anymore. My fiance called Qantas and they said she could get out and back in, but she would have to pick up her bags, and check them back in at least 2 hours before the departure to Melbourne, so we are going to probably do that.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by muttys
But the rules have changed and I can't get through anymore. My fiance called Qantas and they said she could get out and back in, but she would have to pick up her bags, and check them back in at least 2 hours before the departure to Melbourne, so we are going to probably do that.
She doesn't have to collect her bags unless she wants to make a point of telling check in person what she wants to do. Just check the bags through to Melbourne and then just pop out on arrival into Auckland

Dave
Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Do they have "Spooks" in NZ. If so do not be surprised if info posted here is now on record and any chance of OP doing a stroll airside may be met with opposition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.