Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 25 Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
Dam. Any tips of a quick 30 SC's. Maybe something out of SFO?
Or MEL before OCT. I was banking on having these but have an AA Q flight so that's useless.
Thanks.
David
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Instant upgrade SFO-LAX costs USD165 in P class one-way and earns 60 SC's - the flight time is about an hour each way.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 14, 2009 at 6:34 am Reason: USD330 round trip.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:31 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
Instant upgrade SFO-LAX costs USD165 in P class and earns 60 SC's - the flight time is about an hour.
Wow, that used to be >500, the price has really come down (of course you get almost nothing over a Y seat, except for the SCs). Probably no other route that cheap on AA on the west coast, most only have Eagle (no F class) or are AS flights and they aren't priced that low. I guess Virgin America is having an impact.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Question

Thanks for the info re P fares / instant upgrade. Good status earner should push me up to next tier
Further question re QF25, how is the on time performance of this flight ex AKL, heard its not very realiable. Also is 2 hrs enough transfer time (same itin) to T4 LAX? Cheers.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
www.flightstats.com

If you wish a shower, 2 hours is probably inadequate, even if the aircraft is on time.

If you have an AA flight out of T4, on time boarding will commence 30 minutes before scheduled flight time.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:42 am

Well taking this flight tomorrow! Was finally able to get seats next to my partner on the AKL-LAX and LAX-SFO

Arriving at the airport a little earlier to see if we can get seats together for the AKL-MEL leg
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
QF software can't handle change of aircraft type on a single flight number (and QFF can't handle the 2 segments -- treats it as 1). So you are not able to select seats on the 734 sector, but the AKL-LAX sector is the important seat and luckily that is selectable. Jetconnect is fine for what it is (domestic service level instead of international service level -- so a big step down from 744 service that QF25 used to have MEL-AKL). The real problem is the long layover time at AKL, this really isn't a through service, so QF using a single flight number is DISPICABLE. These are 2 unrelated flights, with a poor connection! The only reason to have the single flight number is to fool people. Even simple things like seat assignment fail due to the single flight number (would work fine with 2 separate flight numbers), so this practice causes grief for pax and airline alike.
Hi all

Just a quick question. I am booked on QF26 in October AKL-MEL and have been unable to select a seat, despite being able to do so on the return flight QF131. Is this because QF26 is a single flight number?

Many thanks
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:51 pm
Original Member

Yes, QF's software can only handle 1 seating plan per flight number -- it expects to only have 1 plane! So the 744 seating is loaded in, and not the 734 (soon to be 738, a great improvement) seating on the AKL-MEL sector. Annoying but seemingly nothing can be done about it.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Yes, QF's software can only handle 1 seating plan per flight number -- it expects to only have 1 plane! So the 744 seating is loaded in, and not the 734 (soon to be 738, a great improvement) seating on the AKL-MEL sector. Annoying but seemingly nothing can be done about it.
I am in the same boat with QF26 AKL-MEL next week (I have whinged about it a number of times in recent weeks ). Do you know if OLCI will be possible in that situation? I'm travelling Y and I shudder at the thought of being forced into a middle seat by all those folk checking in at LAX!

PS. 734?? Luxury! Mine is a 733!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:57 pm
Original Member

Presumably OLCI also doesn't work for the same reason; however very few pax are going LAX-MEL on QF25/26 these days (they are mostly on QF93/94 nonstop), so most of the TT seats are not through pax and everyone is in the same boat. QF's seat allocation system is actually pretty good (even if you only have a tiny bit of QFF status I'm sure you would not be in a middle seat; I bet even Bronze is enough to avoid middle seats).
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:28 am

Presumably OLCI also doesn't work for the same reason; however very few pax are going LAX-MEL on QF25/26 these days (they are mostly on QF93/94 nonstop), so most of the TT seats are not through pax and everyone is in the same boat. QF's seat allocation system is actually pretty good (even if you only have a tiny bit of QFF status I'm sure you would not be in a middle seat; I bet even Bronze is enough to avoid middle seats).
Thanks for the reassurance...I normally do get allocated reasonable seats (QP PS, forward aisle, as per profile preference, usually row 8 or forward), so hope that'll continue.

The flight is showing all zeroes and hasn't been available for sale for a lweek or more, so that's what was really concerning me, but if most of those pax are originating in AKL I guess things may not be too dire.

I have to be at the airport way early (before check-in opens) to see someone else off, so at least I'll be pretty much the first of the AKL-originating pax to check in.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 1:38 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by tuapekastar
PS. 734?? Luxury! Mine is a 733!
Either way - beware the infamous row 7 !!

BD
Old Sep 16, 2009, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by BD1959
Either way - beware the infamous row 7 !!

BD
Ah yes! The no window row. If I get an aisle seat I can live with it (though a window would still be nice)...if a window seat, then it would indeed seem pointless to be in row 7.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
Ah yes! The no window row. If I get an aisle seat I can live with it (though a window would still be nice)...if a window seat, then it would indeed seem pointless to be in row 7.
What's all the fuss about a window on a 737?
For me it's not the best of experience to tear a neck muscle trying to see out of an already cramped seat below chest level through a round hole.
PLus having two additional people peering over to hope for a glimpse....
Well, Can't say i'm personally a big fan of window seats. They are overrated on certain aircraft. What do others think?

Back to OP. Good to hear 734 is being replaced by 738. As for 733? .../???

Cheers'
David
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:13 pm

so finally arrived in San Francisco via LAX and AKL

QF25 MEL-AKL was a jetconnect flight, arrived at Melbourne airport around 3.15am and already a bit of a line to check in, because I tried to check in online and it failed, (most likely due to the LAX-SFO leg on AA) it still checked us in for the MEL-LAX leg, so bit of trouble having to get a new boarding pass.

The MEL-AKL leg, nothing flash, the plane looked old and run down, the fabric was coming off the seats and staff well, not really looking that happy.

A couple of hours in AKL to kill and the AKL-LAX leg wasn't that bad, the flight had a fair few empty seats and we were fortunate enough to have 34 F G so lots of leg room. However on take off where the crew rest area was a stream of water just came out of the top and went everywhere, informed one of the crew once they went around and she said it was from the A/C unit.
The IFE had to be reset a couple of times, the last 4 hours of the flight On demand stopped working for a few of the rows, so the usual loop was played, a bit annoying as was half way between a movie and it died. Even worse the entire row of 34's reading lights weren't on so couldn't read anything either.

Staff were great but overall the condition of the 744 and 734 were just terrible. It just had that tired and worn look to it all and having to go via AKL wasn't fun at all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.