Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Airport Security when flying QF domestically ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2009, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

We have been flying in Australia on QF - as part of a combined AC/QF ticket.

It seems that photo id is asked at check-in (if the check-in is via a check-in agent, rather than via a kiosk). However, it is not asked by airport security (as is the custom in USA), or by the gate agent during boarding (as is the custom in Canada).

Through airport security metal detectors, one does not have to take off a coat/jacket.

I wonder if one has to show containers of liquids, when going through airport security,
Old Jul 1, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Correct. Generally no photo ID requirements - although the terminals typically require your Qantas card or credit card.

No coat/ jacket off at most airports

Generally no requirement to show liquids, although some airports are requiring you to show aerosols at present.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
You will also not be required to remove your shoes. There will also be courteous security personnel that don't bark at the passengers.

It's extremely refreshing to travel domestically in Australia. It is just like it was before the USA cooked up their stupid shoe fetish and signed on to the UK's war on liquids.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Domestically, the following is checked (often, not always):
Aerosols in your hand luggage - make sure you have the lid on and the lid is not broken, or you risk confiscation. They often ask you to take it out of your hand luggage at screening point.

Umbrella - their new 'fetish'. They often ask you to take it out of your hand luggage at screening point.

There is currently no liquid restriction for domestic flights, unless you are flying from an international terminal (e.g. domestic leg of an international flight).

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
There will also be courteous security personnel that don't bark at the passengers.
However, please be assured, there are some discourteous ones to remind you of some place else as well.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Yes, it is very civilised down here, isn't it....

We don't go through all of the pointless garbage that is carried out in other countries located elsewhere. We do what is effective. (We even let non-travellers pass through security and go air-side - fancy that!)

Dave
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by moa999
Correct. Generally no photo ID requirements - although the terminals typically require your Qantas card or credit card. ...
Actually, you can check in with these terminals merely by entering your booking reference (Amadeus PNR).
Old Jul 1, 2009, 5:44 pm

We have it good although I must scream "DODGY!" as I *always* get the explosives swipe. I know it's meant to be random, but it's almost as if they seem to wait for me to finish re-packing my laptop and say 'excuse me sir...' I just say "Yes I know the drill" these days even though the newbies there try to force me to read my rights card. 'Oh, have you done this before?'. Yes. Just about every time

Am I the only one? Maybe it's just karma preventing me from getting to the QP bars quickly
Old Jul 1, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I seem to get caught about 20% of the time both there and in the "random" check at the International terminal.

It's still light years better than the TSA and DfT...
Old Jul 1, 2009, 6:32 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Thanks for starting this thread FlyerGoldII; as I've been meaning to ask the following:

I am not a regular flyer, although I am flying this weekend domestically in Australia.

I will only have carry-on luggage and knowing that the LAGS restrictions have been lifted, what will happen with the Aerosol spray I have in my toiletries bag?

Is it as simple as showing it as I pass through screening or since I won't have checked luggage, it will need to be confiscated?

Cheers
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
Actually, you can check in with these terminals merely by entering your booking reference (Amadeus PNR).
You don't even need that. You can enter your name and destination.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: Qantas Club PS + bar, CX Riffraff, Krisflyer Balsa
Am I the only one? Maybe it's just karma preventing me from getting to the QP bars quickly
I have a 100% record at TSV for the free vaccuum, so I think they know me now so's they get a quick no-result on their quota.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
You don't have to take your shoes off, but often you'll need to if you beep.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1
Thanks for starting this thread FlyerGoldII; as I've been meaning to ask the following:

I am not a regular flyer, although I am flying this weekend domestically in Australia.

I will only have carry-on luggage and knowing that the LAGS restrictions have been lifted, what will happen with the Aerosol spray I have in my toiletries bag?

Is it as simple as showing it as I pass through screening or since I won't have checked luggage, it will need to be confiscated?

Cheers
Leave the aerosol in your bag and if asked, present it. Just make sure it's got the lid if you want to keep it. The LAG's rule only applies to international (never applied to domestic AU flights unless it was a part of an international leg, eg MEL-SYD or MEL-ADL on a flight leaving/arriving from/to the INT terminals).

Travelling Domestically in AU really is far far easier than most places, especially the USA.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:06 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by drewbles
I get "randomly" chosen for the swipe about 95% of the time at CBR. Last time I automatically headed in that direction before realising at the last second that they hadn't actually picked me.

LTN Phobia mentioned umbrellas. I always get dinged at CBR but haven't had this anywhere else; admittedly I haven't flown much in the last six months. How widespread is the war on brollies and for how long?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:54 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
LTN Phobia mentioned umbrellas. I always get dinged at CBR but haven't had this anywhere else; admittedly I haven't flown much in the last six months. How widespread is the war on brollies and for how long?
Still quite random, it seems. I didn't get it at CBR last time I was there, but got it at BNE, and I think also at MEL or SYD, but not every time.

They only asked if I have an umbrella or aerosol, and if I did, to take it out. It didn't really affect me as I don't carry an umbrella or aerosol anyway, but I did notice the practice being quite widespread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.