Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 29/30- Mel -HKG-LHR- First avail. gone all July and August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 29/30- Mel -HKG-LHR- First avail. gone all July and August

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation QF 29/30- Mel -HKG-LHR- First avail. gone all July and August

I have just discovered that First class availability (revenue tickets!) is non existent for July and August from Mel to Lhr (QF29/QF 30) for all of July and August. I have seats booked 6 months ago which are still showing confirmed but I notice I cannot change dates as their is no availability now.

Does anyone know what the story is?? Could QF be plannning to ditch First class on this route? I hope I don't receive a call from Qantas a few days before I travel turfing me onto another airline on another day!!

Am I better off rebooking on QF 9/10 via Singapore- means I have to forget about my stopover in hong Kong!!
Old May 15, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
There is no doubt that F availability on QF 29/30 on the MEL-LHR route appears not to be available on many days during July and August (I haven't checked every day).

However on many days when F is unavailable MEL-LHR, it is available on the MEL-HKG and then HKG-LHR sectors. Is revenue F available on the individual sectors on the dates you are travelling?

It would seem availability is uneven, and would suggest either a mistake or that the F cabin is being withdrawn on QF 29/30 on these months.

QF Lad.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Having just checked for a week around the 22nd July, on MEL-LHR it shows as F0A0 as well as for MEL-HKG and the HKG-LHR sectors

Seems a bit odd and maybe they are planning to remove 1st class on that route from 6th July

Are you just connecting or stopping over? If just connecting and you wish to change, just change to the flight via Singapore if it is available

Dave
Old May 15, 2009, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Did you call Qantas and ask?
Old May 15, 2009, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

yes

Yes. i called Qantas. The lady had no idea. She said that I was still confirmed on my flight but then went on to say that Qantas can change planes and configuration at any time and I will be notified if/when this will happen!!

She said AT THIS STAGE there is a first class cabin. I can't afford any nasty surprises. I have three seats booked as I am taking my parents on a 50th wedding anniversary holiday!
Old May 15, 2009, 11:08 pm

It seems F0A0 for the entire of SEP and OCT as well.

I managed to ticket an award in FCL using AA miles on QF30 in DEC however, and looking at NOV and DEC i can still see availability in both paid and award FCL. Having said that this flight seems rather empty in FCL - 9s all over the place, and on some days there are even 2 award seats.

Looks like it's just a seasonal change, or I might be looking at being moved to QF10 or via SYD at some stage... or worse, another carrier altogether.

Last edited by Keith009; May 15, 2009 at 11:16 pm
Old May 16, 2009, 12:35 am

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)
I noticed this too. Travelling in August to LHR and had planned to upgrade for my first ever F. Doesn't look like that is happening now.
Old May 16, 2009, 2:05 am

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum OW Emerald
Originally Posted by luvtotravel72
I have just discovered that First class availability (revenue tickets!) is non existent for July and August from Mel to Lhr (QF29/QF 30) for all of July and August. I have seats booked 6 months ago which are still showing confirmed but I notice I cannot change dates as their is no availability now.

Does anyone know what the story is?? Could QF be plannning to ditch First class on this route?
It could be, like with 2 other routes that this will happen to, F will not be sold.

Cheers
Old May 16, 2009, 2:11 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
How about PE?

That would mean ditching Premium Economy as well. The only configuration without First is the 2 class 744 with business and economy. Is premium economy also zeroed out?
Old May 16, 2009, 2:31 am

Just found out that there is a SIGNIFICANT possibility that first class MAY not be "bookable" for that time period.. A friend at QF states that there is a strong possibility that a 744 WITHOUT first class may be used on this route!!!..
Old May 16, 2009, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by gusd
That would mean ditching Premium Economy as well. The only configuration without First is the 2 class 744 with business and economy. Is premium economy also zeroed out?
PE seems alive and well on the random dates I checked. Perhaps folks will be shifted to other flights or downgraded with comp.

Last edited by Keith009; May 16, 2009 at 2:38 am
Old May 16, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum OW Emerald
Originally Posted by gusd
No. This means they will either close the cabin or sell an "extra" 14 business class seats.
Old May 16, 2009, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Interesting; I took QF29 in February and they re-opened the spa etc in the First class lounge for this flight.

Maybe Qantas are looking to cut costs, lounge at al.
Old May 16, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by serfty
Interesting; I took QF29 in February and they re-opened the spa etc in the First class lounge for this flight.

Maybe Qantas are looking to cut costs, lounge at al.
Are you suggesting the F lounge in MEL would simply close or alternatively just be open for shorter hours (to allow the LAX flights as well as QF9)?

It makes sense that QF cut back on at least 1 QF service for a couple of months until things stabilise, especially since the EU recently ruled that airlines could retain slots yet no operate service this year. With that in mind, I would not be surprised to see this flight disappear out of the timetables for a couple of months this year especially since it is obvious that QF is even having problems filling the A380 out of SYD/LHR (QF31/32).

In fact, this is one flight that really probably should be paired back to a B777 but as QF don't have one of these birds, they are a little stuck. I think a A332 can make the HKG-LHR hope, but I suspect this would depend very much on cargo loads/requirements below.

Finally it is worth remembering that QF29 is not timed particularly well for HKG traffic wanting to go onto London. This can't have helped QF as from when I have looked at flights loads (or travelled on this service), the plane always felt full to HKG but light onwards to LHR.
Old May 16, 2009, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Are you suggesting the F lounge in MEL would simply close or alternatively just be open for shorter hours (to allow the LAX flights as well as QF9)? ...
I'm thinking it would stay open; simply not providing the additional "first class" services.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.