Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 29/30- Mel -HKG-LHR- First avail. gone all July and August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 29/30- Mel -HKG-LHR- First avail. gone all July and August

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
I hope they keep this flight in some way shape or form, I like getting to London at a civilised hour and not OMG o'clock in the morning.
Old May 16, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: QFWP, SQ PPS,QFLTG, EK Silver,SPG Gold, HH Diamond ,Amex Centurion
I was telephoned by Qantas to let me know that QF29/30 had some scheduled changes, I was booked on QF29 from Melbourne to Hong Kong with a night stopover in Honkers. The date that I had from Hong Kong to London with QF no longer exists, so they put me on CX instead.....

My flight in September is still showing as confirmed with F class, let's hope it remains that way.....

James
Old May 16, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Hm, I've got 2 award seats in F booked for 2 Dec on QF30. I'll be vey unimpressed if I don't get them - I thought the first row would be a nice way to celebrate my birthday.

(Flying out to HKG in PE on QF29 the week before, so that might not exist either!)

Audrey
Old May 16, 2009, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by TIMP
I hope they keep this flight in some way shape or form, I like getting to London at a civilised hour and not OMG o'clock in the morning.
Ditto - and the evening connection from NZ is good.
Old May 16, 2009, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Re HKG - FWIW (not even sure if it's relevant) but I'm on the QF128 in September and it is showing a 4 class with 66J and 40 PE rather than the usual 32 seats in PE.

My original flight in July operated by the standard 52J and 32 PE.

Regards

lme ff

btw - how likely is this aircraft configuration to change? Should I request an exit row in PE (but run the chance of losing it if it goes back to std 32 seats), or book the bulkhead behind J?

I flew in a standard seat (third row) a couple weeks back and I found it a bit cramped at 6'3.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; May 17, 2009 at 3:31 pm
Old May 17, 2009, 5:55 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Ditto - and the evening connection from NZ is good.
...And the connection to/from AY at HKG - HEL makes MAN a lot easier than having to traverse LHR.

BD
Old May 17, 2009, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

stay tuned!

Just spoke to Premium desk at Qantas- they have contacted yield who told them that by the end of this week there will be announcement regarding the QF 29/30 flights- In the mean time I cannot be re-accomodated even though future first class bookings on these sectors are not possible after mid July!!

I accept change of aircraft etc due to UNFORSEEN circumstances but if Qantas are sitting on this and staying silent I will be very unhappy!
Old May 17, 2009, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
I'm thinking it would stay open; simply not providing the additional "first class" services.
First class availability disappears from QF29 from Monday 6th July.

This is currently the only oneworld flight from MEL with First Class in the evenings. The CX168 and the AF codeshare on QF29 only sell up to J.

In respect to the First Class lounge; there are currently two Qantas flights departing after 7pm, QF133 and QF29.

From June 9th, QF133 is scheduled to depart @ 1805; so perhaps the first class lounge is to actually close after this flight boards.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:38 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by falconea
Hm, I've got 2 award seats in F booked for 2 Dec on QF30. I'll be vey unimpressed if I don't get them - I thought the first row would be a nice way to celebrate my birthday.

(Flying out to HKG in PE on QF29 the week before, so that might not exist either!)

Audrey
I had two F seats on CX MEL-HKG all ticketed for August. Earlier this year CX removed F from all the Australia flights and now we have been downgraded to J for that segment. Quite disappointing since I routed via MEL and redeemed an F award specifically for the purpose of F on that route.

So if QF remove F from the route, you may well find yourself in a similar situation with J seats for the "price" of an F award.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:41 pm
NM

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
In fact, this is one flight that really probably should be paired back to a B777 but as QF don't have one of these birds, they are a little stuck. I think a A332 can make the HKG-LHR hope, but I suspect this would depend very much on cargo loads/requirements below.
Given that HKG-LHR is about 300 miles less than SYD-BOM, there is probably no technical reason they cannot operate a A330-200 on the route.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM
Given that HKG-LHR is about 300 miles less than SYD-BOM, there is probably no technical reason they cannot operate a A330-200 on the route.
Does that take into account the detour for the Tibetan plateau on HKG-LHR?
Old May 18, 2009, 12:31 am
NM

No, that is great circle distances. Head winds, volcano detours, LHR landing queues not included.
Old May 18, 2009, 3:03 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Do they need to go that far south? I thought the HKG-LHR flights would go much more north than Tibet.

HKG-LAX is also 500M shorter than AKL-LAX so Im sure they could do it if they wanted.
Old May 18, 2009, 5:10 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Do they need to go that far south? I thought the HKG-LHR flights would go much more north than Tibet.
I've been on HKG-LHR that goes south of the Himalayas and CPH-HKG that went above the Arctic Circle then dropped down via Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and PEK. I'm sure that it all depends on the prevailing winds.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by NM
I had two F seats on CX MEL-HKG all ticketed for August. Earlier this year CX removed F from all the Australia flights and now we have been downgraded to J for that segment. Quite disappointing since I routed via MEL and redeemed an F award specifically for the purpose of F on that route.

So if QF remove F from the route, you may well find yourself in a similar situation with J seats for the "price" of an F award.
Did CX not reticket you on a J award even though all of your travel was now apparently in J?

To the original OP, if you have F award tickets on QF 29, I would insist when contacted by QF that they reaccommodate you on a F flight ex SYD, regardless of whether there is techically award availability at the time they contact you to reticket you. This may not be their first offer though.

As an altnerative, insist on CX J to HKG and then CX F to LHR on the service that leaves on the evening you would have travelled on QF.

Last edited by QF Lad; May 18, 2009 at 6:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.