Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

OT... Champagne Prices between AUS and OZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)

Something abit OT. It seems like the NZD is down by so much, it seems like Dom and Kurg at Auckland airport is cheaper then anywhere I fly.. (HKG/MEL/SYD). By chance any one can confirm this? Also, what is a good Champagne to give as a gift? A bottom of Dom or Krug?
Cheers
Wongo
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Certainly Dom & Krug both quite a bit cheaper duty free in NZ than duty free in Oz (various airports east coast). It's been a while since I've been to/through HKG so not sure the comparison there.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 12:31 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Go to http://www.dutyfreestores.co.nz/Home and join their Frequent Buyer Club. You get an additional 20% off their web site price.

With that, I don't think you can find any cheaper. I haven't been to HKG recently, but I have never seen shops in HKG selling anything cheaper than other airports or even in Hong Kong itself.

There're certainly a lot of Moet that can be bought.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Pre-order from their Frequent Byer Club before COB today and get 25% off Alcohol % 10% off electronics.

http://www.dutyfreestores.co.nz/Home/25-sale

e.g. Dom for NZD176
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:45 pm

I find Auckland has some of the cheapest alcohol and certainly champagne (and if your timing is right some great specials!!), but their cosmetics can be pricey.

I have found since mid 2008 I can now have Piper as my "everyday" bubbly as the three pack for $125 gets reduced to $105 with the crew discount. Not bad at all! ^
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have both regency (cant enrol any more, but my A/C is active & I get the discount) and Duty Free Stores.

I compare prices and choose the better ...
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Tis a real shame that the Duty Free Stores place has a pretty limited selection of champagne
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Have you rang them? They have an 1800 number from Aus. The web site only has a subset of what they actually hold. (I can't speak for champers, but I've found this with other stuff.)
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Nope, not yet mate. Still working in office in HK! Looks like I get plenty of time for duty free action. QF don't offer J tagging for silver so I will have enough time to shop around. Plus my seat is 41 C from memory so I should be first off the plane after Y+...
I think I can manage it with the online shopping, even thought it is quite limited, it has most stuff I need and others want. Cheers everyone.
One last thing Dom or Krug...??
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by Leumas
Have you rang them? They have an 1800 number from Aus. The web site only has a subset of what they actually hold. (I can't speak for champers, but I've found this with other stuff.)
Thanks Leumas, I'll keep that in mind. Not going to be in NZ until May, so there's no point in worrying about it just yet
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Wongo
Vintage Krug is considerably better than Dom, however presumably you are choosing between "MV" Krug (i.e. non-vintage, though they call it "multi-vintage") and Dom); in which case they are similar in quality and price but differ in style. Krug MV is richer, deeper and yeastier, for a heavier taste, while Dom is lighter, fresher and fruitier. Everyone likes Dom but some find Krug too rich/heavy. I greatly prefer Krug, however if buying a present for someone whose taste I do not know I would pick Dom, fwiw
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:26 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Such a personal preference, for mine Krug any time, vintage or non-vintage.

I have met others who dislike it and prefer Dom.

To be safe, get both...
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Ek, its a return ticket from ALK-ZQN! I booked mine for $450 return with double layovers in CHC, thaks 40SC with 4000pts.
I think get a Dom and one those Piper Heidsieck (Twin/Triple) pack! Triple @ $45/bottle Double @$47.50/bottle.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... Piper Heidsieck (Twin/Triple) pack! Triple @ $45/bottle Double @$47.50/bottle.
If you join the DFS "Frequent Buyer Club", the triple pack is NZD108 or NZD36 per bottle.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Such a personal preference, for mine Krug any time, vintage or non-vintage.

I have met others who dislike it and prefer Dom.

To be safe, get both...
Indeed. This is one of the very few "irreconcilable differences" in my marriage. I prefer Krug and my wife prefers Dom. We are trying to work through our issues. In the mean time, as VH-RMD suggests, the best bet it to get both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.