Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Lots of F/C award seats USA-Australia in next few months

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:40 pm
sy7
Original Poster

I've been monitoring award availability for SFO/LAX to SYD/MEL/BNE for the past few months. I've NEVER seen more than a few scattered F/C award seats available. However, in the past few days, QF has opened up tons of F/C award seats from the US to Australia and vice versa, from now until Feb. Most dates in November and December have some F/C award seats available. Some even work for Xmas travel (though not the absolute peak season dates of course). Is this normal? In the past, I haven't seen last minute award availability as being significantly better than far in advance availability.

I'm pretty happy, because I was able to switch to a non-stop flight from my preferred departure airport vs making several connections. I had booked using CO miles (back in Feb, before the rates jumped up significantly). I only regret not having been able to book an F award reward back then (b/c I couldn't find any open F award seats at all). I actually saw an F seat on the A380 flight available for my travel date, but of course I couldn't switch to that!

Anyway, this is just a heads up in case anyone has award travel planned during this time.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Qantas releases extra 1.5 million Frequent Flyer seats

Melbourne Herald Sun
Originally Posted by Melbourne Herald Sun
AIRLINES battling to fill seats are offering super deals to allow cash-strapped travellers to escape the financial crisis.

Qantas has released 1.5 million Frequent Flyer seats to stimulate Christmas travel.

The seats will be available on services to all capital city and popular Australian holiday destinations.

Family members, including grandparents and other relatives of club members, will be eligible to travel.

"The sale aims to stimulate travel within Australia and to encourage people to holiday at home this year," said Simon Hickey, the airline's head of Frequent Flyer business.

Qantas hopes to generate additional cashflow as would-be travellers transfer points from their credit card reward programs.

Thousands of Australians yesterday snapped up 50,000 "free" flights offered by Tiger Airlines as it celebrate its first birthday.

Qantas had a similar response to its 48-hour, two-for-one ticket sale this week where return economy tickets to London went for $3058, taxes included - almost $2000 below the cost of regular fares for two people.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: QC Silver/OW Ruby
Thanks!

Saw this post and promptly jumped online to see if there were any business class seats to LAX around 20 December (already had a booking done 355 days in advance for 2 econ seats). While there wasnt anything on 20 Dec, there were 2 seats in business class going CBR-BNE-LAX on 19 December - so quickly booked these. With the 25% off business promotion running, it meant business class for about another 30K points - well worth it! Then rang Qantas to get seats - 1A and 1B
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:49 pm

5 Business class award seats for SYD-LAX on 16DEC, 3 on BNE-LAX. Very good...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:38 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
and with 20% off as well!

Very clever to get people transferring the credit card points etc that may have otherwise gone to Velocity.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Wow. This is definitely impressive. I discovered two things tonight. 1 that QF's online award display is once again showing me seats in F as opposed to last year when I was searching.

2. There is an incredible amount of F inventory available on QF12 compared to the last few years.

Amazed.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Just arrived into MEL from LAX this morning in F. 9F seats occupied. But only about 3 or 4 BC seats on the main level occupied. Lots of empty seats. And some in BC were announced at the gate to pick up their upgrade boarding passes just before boarding.

Factors - the Economy plus the A380 has drawn a lot of the premium paid traffic. Hence - no reason for QF not to release reward seats. When issued by a limited partner like CO - CO pays for the seats - so revenue for QF when reward seats are redeemed.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by cova

When issued by a limited partner like CO - CO pays for the seats - so revenue for QF when reward seats are redeemed.

And I guess remption seats would also be counted as revenue seats in the accounts, so that would bump up the load factor and also the share price (Which most QF execs bonuses would be tied to I guess)
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by AN_Boy
And I guess remption seats would also be counted as revenue seats in the accounts, so that would bump up the load factor and also the share price (Which most QF execs bonuses would be tied to I guess)
i dont think your bonus normally gets bounced up when you deliver a profit 1/3 of last years...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:31 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by abcedaria
i dont think your bonus normally gets bounced up when you deliver a profit 1/3 of last years...

I wish all public companies would adopt the sole KPI my employer uses - EBITDA.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:49 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by shillard
I'm good on the TLAs but hopeless on the SLAs.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:25 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by cova
Just arrived into MEL from LAX this morning in F. 9F seats occupied. But only about 3 or 4 BC seats on the main level occupied. Lots of empty seats.
Conversely I have done 2 MEL-LAX-MELs in the last month, out on Sat and back Fri, and all 4 sectors were rammed. I was watching loads on EF and LAX flights are still pretty good. Midweek is better obviously. SFO flights have been fairly empty for some time now which is not good for this route...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by shillard
What gets measured get's done. EBITDA on its own ain't enough (there speaks the financial expert in me!)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.