Wiki Posts
Search

MEL-LHR points earn in Y

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
MEL-LHR points earn in Y

I've done a search but to no avail, and whilst I suspect I already know the answer to this question, I'm hoping someone's personal experience can prove my suspicions wrong.

When flying in discount Y from MEL-LHR on either BA or QF via SIN or BKK, we earn points at a rate of 1:1. Now that BA have slapped their code on QF29/30 via HKG, does it fall into the JSA category and earn 1:1, or is it the miserly discount BA rate of 0.25:1

QFF T&Cs only mention SIN/BKK routings as 1:1 earning, which suggests that any other MEL-LHR routings on a BA code would earn 0.25:1.

However, the interesting thing is that you can only book BA7317/7318 as a through flight, not individual sectors between MEL-HKG-LHR, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has flown on the BA code, and whether they've earned the full rate or the pittance.

Thanks in advance (and fingers crossed).
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Actually, I believe there is some good news for you if you fly between MEL and LHR via HKG on this flight.
Code:
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
British Airways    GKLMNOQRSV                Discount Economy*      0.25      -
(BA)               BHY                       Full Economy           1         -
                   TEW                       World Traveller Plus   1         10%
                   CDIRJ                     Business               1         25%
                   AF                        First                  1         50%
                  ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
                   Status Credits are earned on all eligible booking classes. 
                   *Exception: Travel in Discount Economy between: 
                   - Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney and London 
                   or Frankfurt via Bangkok or Singapore 
                   - Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney and Bangkok
                   or Singapore 
                   - London or Frankfurt and Bangkok or Singapore 
                   will earn a Base Rate of 1.  
——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Going by the highlighting I did, as long as you are booked MEL-LHR you'll be fine. If you are booked MEL-HKG-LHR then it's a ¼:1.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty
Actually, I believe there is some good news for you if you fly between MEL and LHR via HKG on this flight.
Code:
British Airways    GKLMNOQRSV                Discount Economy*      0.25      -
(BA)               BHY                       Full Economy           1         -
                   TEW                       World Traveller Plus   1         10%
                   CDIRJ                     Business               1         25%
                   AF                        First                  1         50%
                  ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
                   Status Credits are earned on all eligible booking classes. 
                   *Exception: Travel in Discount Economy between: 
                   - Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney and London 
                   or Frankfurt via Bangkok or Singapore 
                   - Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney and Bangkok
                   or Singapore 
Going by the highlighting I did, as long as you are booked MEL-LHR you'll be fine. If you are booked MEL-HKG-LHR then it's a ¼:1.
Maybe. Another interpretation is must be via SIN/BKK to qualify.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Maybe. Another interpretation is must be via SIN/BKK to qualify.
One could interpret it that way, but would generally be incorrect. Standard Boolean logic dictate the order in which to resolve 'and' and 'or'. Using that to resolve the products and discount the non applicable locations sees the following rewrite of the relevant terms (parenthesis added for clarity):

*Exception: Travel in Discount Economy between (Melbourne and London) or (Melbourne and Frankfurt via Bangkok or Singapore)
I think it has more to do with the JSA contract specifying Oz-LHR without defining specific transit points.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by serfty
Standard Boolean logic dictate the order in which to resolve 'and' and 'or'.
Hmm, but then this line will make no sense :
Travel between "Singapore"?
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's in how it is to be read, I'll put some parenthesis into the original and then commence a breakdown:
Exception: Travel in Discount Economy between (Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney) and (London or (Frankfurt via Bangkok or Singapore))
Resolve the 'or's first and then the 'and's:
  • (Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney) and (London or (Frankfurt via Bangkok))
  • (Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney) and (London or (Frankfurt via Singapore))
  • (Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney) and London
  • (Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney) and Frankfurt via Bangkok
  • (Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney) and Frankfurt via Singapore
etc ... [This resolves to a further 18 combinations, I'm not going to list them all]

Furthermore:

London or Frankfurt and Bangkok or Singapore:
  • London and Singapore
  • London and Bangkok
  • Frankfurt and Singapore
  • Frankfurt and Bangkok

Last edited by serfty; Nov 26, 2008 at 6:21 pm
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
From the quoted terms and conditions it is clear that travel can only be via Bangkok or Singapore.

The interpretation is clearly:

(Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney)
and
(London or Frankfurt)
via
(Bangkok or Singapore)

If you take the approach outlined by another poster above, you would be unable to earn full points flying from Australia to Frankfurt via London!

If a flight via Hong Kong also turns out to earn the full 1 point per mile (maybe someone can attest to this from their ff statement?), then it is an unwritten benefit as it is not covered by the terms and conditions.

Regards

lme ff

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Nov 26, 2008 at 11:59 pm
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - different interpretations.

I still believe the Oz-London earning is a legacy part of the JSA, irrespective of transit point.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If booking flights on BA via HKG, I would recommend trying to get a definitive answer from QFF before relying on interpretations of the rules

I would read it to be intended as LME would use it and not trying to apply boolean logic especially giving the number of 'or's in the sentence which would end up making no sense

between
Adelaide, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Perth or Sydney and London or Frankfurt via Bangkok or Singapore

If the 'and' was applied first, then the 'and' between 'Sydney and London' would be applied first and then the 'or's taken in order and not as put forward by Serfty where parentheses have been invented

I would read it to be as being between any of the listed points in Australia and London with travel via either of Bangkok or Singapore and I would suggest that that is what Qantas means

If they mean it to include going via HKG, then I would expect them to add HKG to the valid list

Dave
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If booking flights on BA via HKG, I would recommend trying to get a definitive answer from QFF before relying on interpretations of the rules ...
I Fully agree.

Forgetting any 'boolean' logic, rather common sense, I believe it's no accident that the BA7317/7318 can only be booked between Oz/UK with no reference to HKG.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

An update... and good news

Thanks to all for your responses on this.

I've now spoken to the Frequent Flyer Service Centre and have been assured by the consultant I spoke to that Qantas Frequent Flyers would earn 100% mileage when flying on BA7317/7318 between MEL and LHR.

She had to put me on hold twice to speak with a supervisor, but the final word was that as it's a through flight and only bookable as a through flight to and from MEL and LHR, then it will earn the same as a through flight which routes via SIN or BKK.

Good to know. I wonder if QFF will update the T&Cs to reflect this.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:46 pm

To me it does pose the question of why take the risk when wanting to earn QFF miles; why not just book the QF flight number?

Hope it works out, but I cannot see any comeback that you may have should it post at 25% unless you make sure to get it in writing from QFF

Dave
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, that's great.
Originally Posted by inasmuchas
... Good to know. I wonder if QFF will update the T&Cs to reflect this.
I believe QFF think they have; but it IS somewhat confusing - as Dave Noble posted, the pertinent line makes no sense.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
To me it does pose the question of why take the risk when wanting to earn QFF miles; why not just book the QF flight number?

Hope it works out, but I cannot see any comeback that you may have should it post at 25% unless you make sure to get it in writing from QFF

Dave
It's a fair question Dave.

Two reasons why I was curious. Firstly, it's the principle of the thing – I saw no 'logical' reason for the earn rate to be different – but then again, when did logic ever enter into the equation with loyalty programs?

And secondly, on some random dates I was looking to travel, the BA flights were coming out marginally cheaper than QF. I checked this on a number of sites, for a different dates over a period of two months, and every time the same flights on the BA code were being offered for less.

I was interested to hear if anyone had tried this experiment and succeeded, but now I'm prepared to throw caution to the wind and give it a red hot go.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:18 pm

A fun 30,000 point gamble. bon chance

Personally I wouldnt take the risk if I was concerned about mileage earning

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.